The SCARR Husqvarna 592XP build thread.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The transfer runners look similar to a 461. What is gained by having the runners mate with the case at the front of the cylinder instead of on the sides as usual?

461 uses delayed scavenging while 590 uses stratified scavenging.
Two different methods to the same end result of lowering emissions and both require the long tunnels to get there.
Delayed uses port timing to facilitate a bit of reversion of exhaust gases into the tunnels while strato uses fresh air from a separated intake stream. So when the transfers initially open, previously combusted mix or plain air respectively is lost out of the exhaust as opposed to unburnt mix.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So we need some valves to get a more effective engine. And to limit the loses… Who will build some? :tiburon:

Joakim S

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry guys, I know this is going very slow. I went to cut the squish and bases tonight but found the cylinders too large to bolt to my normal squish cutting plate so I had to make a new one. I'll also have to make a 53mm mandrel to cut the base of the 585, at least I have a 55mm one for the 592.
I've been thinking about, if it's possible to use the same mandrel for 2 different cylinders, let's say like in your case, 53mm in one end, and 55mm in the other. Or is is something I haven't thought of?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been thinking about, if it's possible to use the same mandrel for 2 different cylinders, let's say like in your case, 53mm in one end, and 55mm in the other. Or is is something I haven't thought of?

Some people do that but I prefer to have the cylinder as close to the chuck as possible and I don't like clamping on the machined surface that will have to then slide into a cylinder. So I make mandrels for every size.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some people do that but I prefer to have the cylinder as close to the chuck as possible and I don't like clamping on the machined surface that will have to then slide into a cylinder. So I make mandrels for every size.

Each one starts as a 6" long chunk of 6061 aluminum.

Joakim S

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Sounds right. Thanks.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok. Do you have any experience of using POM for this kind of work. Sorry for going OT.

No, I've always wanted the rigidity of aluminum, acetal is easy to machine but lacks the rigidity and it about the same price as buying drop chuck of AL off eBay.

Joakim S

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, I've always wanted the rigidity of aluminum, acetal is easy to machine but lacks the rigidity and it about the same price as buying drop chuck of AL off eBay.
Ok. Good to know. Yes, I've seen on Ebay that the alu prices isn't to bad.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since there was some questions on mandrels for cutting the base I figured I'd go over how I like to make them.

This is for the 53mm bore (2.085") so I started with a 6" long 2.25" diameter chunk of 6061 T6 aluminum. I cut the end flush and skim cut the surface where it will ride in the 3 jaw for the rest of it's life. I do this so I know I'm clamping on a concentric, flat surface as the raw material surface can be out of round and not exactly flat. I also put a healthy radius on the back edge to keep it from getting caught up in the chuck when clamping and prevents getting a raised edge from misshandling.

IMG_2280.JPG

Then I flip that around and chuck it up, give it a good wiggle as you tighten the jaws so it seats in as true as possible. Then mark jaw #1 so I always put it back in the chuck the same way. Since I have my lathe, jaws and mandrel all marked I'm able to chuck the mandrels back in and bump them out to practically 0 runout across the whole surface.

IMG_2281.JPG

Then I cut to the bore size -0.0005", don't forget to let it cool back down to room temp before your final few cuts. Then I under cut it so you can cut the base or skirt extension all the way to the bore, usually around 0.2" diameter will be enough. I also like to machine the end with a 1/4-20 center tapped hole and a slight recess.

IMG_2282.JPG

That's because I like to put some 80-100 grit sand paper on the end for traction. With the paper I've been able to take 0.02" cuts on the base, but not on a large diameter, interrupted cut like these 585/592 cylinders... I'll stay below 0.015" cuts.

The sand paper also works great to clean up a squish band, remove some debris damage or just check how flat one is by the witness marks.

IMG_2283.JPG

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since there was some questions on mandrels for cutting the base I figured I'd go over how I like to make them.

This is for the 53mm bore (2.085") so I started with a 6" long 2.25" diameter chunk of 6061 T6 aluminum. I cut the end flush and skim cut the surface where it will ride in the 3 jaw for the rest of it's life. I do this so I know I'm clamping on a concentric, flat surface as the raw material surface can be out of round and not exactly flat. I also put a healthy radius on the back edge to keep it from getting caught up in the chuck when clamping and prevents getting a raised edge from misshandling.

View attachment 318243

Then I flip that around and chuck it up, give it a good wiggle as you tighten the jaws so it seats in as true as possible. Then mark jaw #1 so I always put it back in the chuck the same way. Since I have my lathe, jaws and mandrel all marked I'm able to chuck the mandrels back in and bump them out to practically 0 runout across the whole surface.

View attachment 318244

Then I cut to the bore size -0.0005", don't forget to let it cool back down to room temp before your final few cuts. Then I under cut it so you can cut the base or skirt extension all the way to the bore, usually around 0.2" diameter will be enough. I also like to machine the end with a 1/4-20 center tapped hole and a slight recess.

View attachment 318245

That's because I like to put some 80-100 grit sand paper on the end for traction. With the paper I've been able to take 0.02" cuts on the base, but not on a large diameter, interrupted cut like these 585/592 cylinders... I'll stay below 0.015" cuts.

The sand paper also works great to clean up a squish band, remove some debris damage or just check how flat one is by the witness marks.

View attachment 318246
Belt sander seems faster, just sayin’.

When cutting a base or band, do you use any lubricant? Your machine finish is impeccable.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Belt sander seems faster, just sayin’.

When cutting a base or band, do you use any lubricant? Your machine finish is impeccable.

Not usually, I use a high rake carbide insert (CCGX, CPGT, or CCGT -32.51). On some cylinders like the 550/562 I get a little smearing with the alloy which a spritz of wd-40 on the surface eliminates.

I use the same inserts in an 1" carbide boring bar to cut the squish bands. I never have to use any lubricant there and the high rake inserts with the stiff carbide bar peel the nicasil over plating off easy.

Joakim S

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 318243

View attachment 318244

View attachment 318245

View attachment 318246
Great Post, Shaun! Very informative. I will do this operation for my first time very soon, so this was just what I needed

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 318243

View attachment 318244

View attachment 318245

View attachment 318246

When I see the care you take to get a consistent ,reliable , and repeatable results it makes me question how I get anything to run!o_O
I guess I'm better at being lucky than good.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The notches on the bottom of the cylinder don’t need any grinding to sit down on the case but you do need to knock the alignment dowels in a bit after dropping the jug.

11959e2d3a9bbe70d5ca520c2888df4a.jpg

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited: