Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then Homelite was sold to some investors group in China I believe??

All I know is Ryobi owns it today, or the last I ordered parts from them at least. They have like one model of a small homeowner type saw that they sell.
Somehow it was missed being sucked up by Electrolux.(pun intended)
Speaking of Electrolux, now the Husqvarna group is where the McCulloch brand languishes in obscurity much to the same fate as Jonsered.
Who knows, maybe they'll make a comeback someday, with a better plan. :)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the thing of the over 100 cc saws might have had more to do with the timber business at that time .Large saws have always been expensive and if a displacement of 100 cc's would work as well as 115-125 more than likely it would be the choice .According to some in later years sizes of like Stihl 038 Mag were more often used because the trees harvested became smaller .That all depended on what size would be more profitable and so called old growth was not all things considered .Just the methods of recovery for those giant logs would make them an expensive ordeal .Not to mention how many mills could handle an 8-10 foot red wood log ,not many .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know what you have Ira,but your description seems to fit the one I have.The one I have is made by Lisle & has a red handl;e & pivot.I thought it was just too big for a smaller saw like the Homie SEZ,but I had the same problem with the big FW side seal on the Timber Bear.The angle of the bend on the hook is the culprit.I tried to tap it in with a hammer - no dice.

20220324_052242.jpg 20220324_052248.jpg 20220324_052256.jpg
Here's what I did to mine ( like Steve) the little point allows me to sneak it right in the seal.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So,you (or I rather) have to knock off the curled tip & grind it straight?If I'm going to buy a tool I'd expect to be able to use it right out of the packaging & not have to modify it.Bunch of dumb asses who designed it.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So,you (or I rather) have to knock off the curled tip & grind it straight?If I'm going to buy a tool I'd expect to be able to use it right out of the packaging & not have to modify it.Bunch of dumb asses who designed it.
Haha you crack me up Ed, you must be alot like me ( Born Indignant!) .
It is actually used for larger seals in transmissions and such but us chainsaw nuts found a use for it.
So yes grinding a little point on it will help as you've discovered it made of a very resilient steel.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a better note,the FW side seal was all that needed to be replaced on the Tiomber Bear.It fired up nicely & ran well in the cut.There was no more extremely high idle after it got warmed up.The automatic oiler still won't work.How many turns out should the center screw be out on the oil pump?I've got mine set at 4 1/2.

So much for having 5 running 610s that I had last week.Some prick came & stole 2 of 'em out of my garage sometime yesterday.I only noticed it today when I was going to replace a switch on one of the saws that's missing.I had my son look for them too & he didn't find them either.I'm waiting for the cops right now.thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hunter cameras work well & not expensive.
Set one up...don't mention saw much to anyone. Put another saw out hopefully catch the sob.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk
I had a friend do that when someone stole his boat….they stole his game cams…now he has a gate!

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a better note,the FW side seal was all that needed to be replaced on the Tiomber Bear.It fired up nicely & ran well in the cut.There was no more extremely high idle after it got warmed up.The automatic oiler still won't work.How many turns out should the center screw be out on the oil pump?I've got mine set at 4 1/2.

So much for having 5 running 610s that I had last week.Some prick came & stole 2 of 'em out of my garage sometime yesterday.I only noticed it today when I was going to replace a switch on one of the saws that's missing.I had my son look for them too & he didn't find them either.I'm waiting for the cops right now.View attachment 331514 View attachment 331515
Aint liking that Ed.
Thieves are among the lowest forms of life. Just above politicians in my book.
Wouldnt waste a good rope to hang either one of em.
Agreed on the game cameras, but they have to be hidden well and out of easy reach.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys for your support.I was so happy & proud that I got those 5 saws running finally after almost 4 yrs.of haunting me.The police came & got a description & I had pics of them on my phone from posting them here.They sent them to their email at the station.They wanted to know the value of the saws & I told them $150 each.They also suggested a trail cam.They said they'd notify all the pawn shops nationwide.I asked them if they'd notify the local scrapyard too & they asked how much the scrapyard would pay.I told them maybe $5,& then they'd turn around 10 min.later & sell them for $50.I hope this bastard gets caught & gets prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.This isn't the first time I've had saws stolen.About 3-4 yrs.ago I had a Mac 2-10 stolen that had no carb in it & 3 Homelite SXLs.2 of the SXLs were junkers,but one was a collectors edition.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The oil pumps on the 610's try as I might except for the good old kerosene treatment I never had any luck to improve them . They are simple enough ,just a diaphragm and check valves but they escaped my attempts to make them work .I got tired of wasting time on what few failed and just changed the dang things .Due to the fact I seldom throw anything away some place in my junk I have those old pumps but have never again delved into them .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The automatic oil pump on my Timber Bear worked for about 2 weeks,then just stopped working abruptly.About 4 yrs.ago in Nov.I bought a new oil pump from Bob & put it on.That thing didn't work for squat from day1.I got the pump from Bob & I contacted him & told him it diodn't work.He told me to open up the center screw one full turn.I did thjat & it worked briefly for the first time I ran the saw,then it quit again.I'm wondering if there's some type of defect like Mark H.had posted about in one of his 610s(?) back some time ago.?I've got about 6 more oil pumps I can put on the saw,all are used,but in good condition.The manual oiler works great,no problem there.I always hated those dang impulse oil pumps.IMO they're not worth the powder to blow them to hell.Now if the engineers at Mac had a good brain they would've put gear driven oil pumps in the saws.Homelite did it & their saws were competitive in price.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As a normal rule the impulse piston pumps worked great except some leaked a little oil into the crankcase which usually didn't hurt anything .The diaphragm pumps the 610 ,Timber Bear has been the only example I've seen that used that type .The good thing is the thumb pumps very seldom failed and usually the kerosene treatment fixed them .Worse case the little o-ring could be warped ,broken or just plain stiff .I've only had one on a gear drive 650 which is an 87 cc reed valver that needed a new o-ring .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think skunk oil/gear oil has a tacking agent in it . I do know I can't use high tack in my planetary tranny on the Oliver crawler because the brake bands that run in oil can't squeeze it out .