MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, the sleeve material is cast iron sleeve from summit racing. The od is not touched. Just the id is machined close to finish size. It is then honed until its sized to the piston. The transfers are cut out using an old cylinder and scribed then cut out. Its pressed in then the intake and exhaust ports are cut out. I have 2 of them done. A sp80 and an 850. Both run just fine. The sp80 actually surprised me how good it ran. The 2nd one he did was an 850 cylinder and i was there the whole process. It took 4 hrs total. Took it home, had it all back together and it fired right up. It was very exciting thru the whole process. It took us months to get it all mapped out and tested and running. Lots of measurements and some trial and error. But it works. The q port exhaust is no issue either with the 800, 805, etc. Ive got 2 more cylinders to take to him. A sp81 and another 850. I can absolutely attest it works. I will add he needs a piston for final honing. The measurements he has are for a B piston.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, the sleeve material is cast iron sleeve from summit racing. The od is not touched. Just the id is machined close to finish size. It is then honed until its sized to the piston. The transfers are cut out using an old cylinder and scribed then cut out. Its pressed in then the intake and exhaust ports are cut out. I have 2 of them done. A sp80 and an 850. Both run just fine. The sp80 actually surprised me how good it ran. The 2nd one he did was an 850 cylinder and i was there the whole process. It took 4 hrs total. Took it home, had it all back together and it fired right up. It was very exciting thru the whole process. It took us months to get it all mapped out and tested and running. Lots of measurements and some trial and error. But it works. The q port exhaust is no issue either with the 800, 805, etc. Ive got 2 more cylinders to take to him. A sp81 and another 850. I can absolutely attest it works. I will add he needs a piston for final honing. The measurements he has are for a B piston.

What is the cost of this if you don't mind Vinny?

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ill also say anyone interested im happy to help with the process. I am not invloved in any way other than ill get you in touch with my buddy. He is not a saw mechanic and wants a cylinder and piston only. Not a whole chainsaw. But if anyone is interested im happy to help.

Steve the cost is $170.00. Thats his time and material. Shipping is not in that price. It takes him 3 hrs. It took me 4 hrs cause im not a machinist. He helped me every step due to obvious reasons. Its cheaper than a rechrome for certain. The guy lives in Barton, Ohio if you wanna check postage.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ill also say anyone interested im happy to help with the process. I am not invloved in any way other than ill get you in touch with my buddy. He is not a saw mechanic and wants a cylinder and piston only. Not a whole chainsaw. But if anyone is interested im happy to help.

Steve the cost is $170.00. Thats his time and material. Shipping is not in that price. It takes him 3 hrs. It took me 4 hrs cause im not a machinist. He helped me every step due to obvious reasons. Its cheaper than a rechrome for certain. The guy lives in Barton, Ohio if you wanna check postage.

Wow! That's plenty affordable to save a good saw!

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks Vinny for your efforts, I just acquired an 850 with a scored piston. The cylinder doesn't look
bad but i haven't had much time to mess with it. If i find it won't pass my expectation i will get in touch
with you. Thanks again Lee

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I talked with Bob Johnson last week & he told me that US Chrome raised their price of redoing a cylinder another $25.I can't remember how much it cost to have the cylinder rechromed,I think around $250 (?) Someone correct me if I'm wrong.So,now it's $275 excluding shipping (add another $40-$50).Vinny had a not so pleasant experience with US Chrome & that might be why he got started doing this.I don't have any 82cc saws that need a new cylinder,but if I did this would be the way I'd go.The gentleman who's doing the work is not confined to doing only 82cc cylinders,as I understand it there's a fella who's looking into having a new cylinder made for his 125.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Vinnt i imagine you can do other cylinders? I have a 101 kart block that got needled.
It's been at a automotive machine shop for 5 years. I also have a couple SP125 blocks
with scored cylinders. If you can do these i would send you some.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the right time and measurements id believe it can be done. He was looking into a 101 engine from a guy on Another Site. Im not sure how that went so far or if it ever got started. I can ask him for you though.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vinnt i imagine you can do other cylinders? I have a 101 kart block that got needled.
It's been at a automotive machine shop for 5 years. I also have a couple SP125 blocks

Lee, i spoke to my friend and he says the other 101 engine never went anywhere but he said that he can likely do them. If youre interested let me know, ill get you his phone number so you can contact him.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lee, i spoke to my friend and he says the other 101 engine never went anywhere but he said that he can likely do them. If youre interested let me know, ill get you his phone number so you can contact him.

I'd like to get involved with this as well. I have many, many 125c blocks with bad plating. If I could get some of those sleeved, that would be the bee's knees.

Local time
3:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well i dont have a cylinder extra..but if youre willing to ship just the cylinder and piston....i know a guy that can without question fix it for you. Ive not posted this here yet but i have on Another Site....ive been involved in sleeving a 82cc mac cylinder. One is an 850. It runs fine and dandy. If you are interested pm me and we can get you the information and fix your saw. Ill tell the story a bit later today...im at work right now.
Haa i messaged you OnThat other site. I appreciate you getting back to me. I’m going to get it done just need the funds.

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Vinnywv, post: 1347801, member: 21702". Ive not posted this here yet but i have on Another Site....ive been involved in sleeving a 82cc mac cylinder. One is an 850. It runs fine and dandy. .
I'd like to see this .I sleeved a Mac 125 ,that's featured on Kevins other forum with the method involved .Fact being although I have several 82 cc cylinders I don't want to part with any .One is an 805 the chrome delaminated which will need a sleeve . The other an 850 which can be cleaned up .[/QUOTE]

Oh man!!! Don’t tease me like that !!I’ll give my left nit for one!!!

Last edited:
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good deal, don’t forget to quote, and like posts….lol

If people don’t do that, I kinda feel like they are only in it for themselves…I like to make friends, but if you aren’t putting in the time, if you aren’t sharing the highs and lows, your not going to be relatable. Do you even own a Mac? lol just busting…

Edit, pics help
Haaa I have currently the pro Mac 850
And a 10-10… The 850 is in a box….. the 10-10 is ragged but does run.image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg