edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry never seen one personally
The first one I saw is now on Feebay.The seller says it has spark,but can't get it to pop.Either it needs a new plug,or the compression is too low.It looks like the Timberbear/PM605.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had this 10-10A sitting in the garage since last fall.It needed a new fuel tank gasket & I put that in a while back.I thought I needed to change the clutch for some reason till I picked the saw up the other day & noticed it's not a 10-10A,but a LH start 10-10.It needed a few things yet - clutch cover (had one sitting right there),bar stud nuts (had 'em),the screw for the rear recoil bolt under the recoil (found one),& finally a pair of bar plates.My inventory showed that I have a pair & when I looked I couldn't find them anywhere.I know I didn't use them on another saw.I ended up calling Woody Strohman in Monroe,Wi.who supplies Bob J.with them & ordered a few sets & some other parts I'll be needing for upcoming projects.Woody also has one of the domed air filters made for the 10-10A.I don't know which one it is though.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can anyone tell me if the venturi on a 70cc Mac SDC is larger than a 54cc Mac SDC? I put a SDC off a 2-10 on my 5-10 and I'm wondering if I "choked" the saw.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can anyone tell me if the venturi on a 70cc Mac SDC is larger than a 54cc Mac SDC? I put a SDC off a 2-10 on my 5-10 and I'm wondering if I "choked" the saw.

Yes and no. Depending on the 2-10 it may have the larger venturi. Did you convert the 5-10 to sdc or was it sdc when you got it? I have a large bore sdc with the idle speed needle if you need one.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
SDC16 and below are .625 venturi/.750 throttle bore, SDC18 and above are .750 venturi and .813 throttle bore.

At times McCulloch put the smaller carburetor on the SP125 and the bigger one on some 2-10 models...

I don't know how much the bigger carburetor helps the smaller saws, but I can say from first hand experience putting the bigger carburetor on the SP125 makes a noticeable difference.

Mark

Attachments

• McCulloch Carburetor Guide.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 11

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes and no. Depending on the 2-10 it may have the larger venturi. Did you convert the 5-10 to sdc or was it sdc when you got it? I have a large bore sdc with the idle speed needle if you need one.
It had a leaky bullfrog on it when I got it, and a buddy gave me a (I’m assuming) 2-10 parts saw with an SDC, so I swapped that over. I’m not 100% sure that the parts saw was a 2-10. It was a RH start and had a yellow old ribbed-type tank cover, and a black ribbed-type a/f cover that had “1-10” scratched into it so I assumed it was a 2-10. Looking back at it, I think it was a 1-10 with a 2-10 a/f cover from a saw with a bullfrog carb.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 5-10 that I have had an SDC2 on it & when new rings were put in it it ran like it had no power.The SDC2 was rebuilt.I had a friend of mine put an SDC18 on it & that really woke that saw up. If you could get your hands on an SDC37 that'll work well too.Bob Johnson has new SDC37 carbs for around $40-$45.If you go on Feebay you'll pay that much for a used one.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 5-10 that I have had an SDC2 on it & when new rings were put in it it ran like it had no power.The SDC2 was rebuilt.I had a friend of mine put an SDC18 on it & that really woke that saw up. If you could get your hands on an SDC37 that'll work well too.Bob Johnson has new SDC37 carbs for around $40-$45.If you go on Feebay you'll pay that much for a used one.
I have a spare SDC fixed high jet off a Homelite kicking around, and I think my 10-10 may have a SDC37 on it so I have a few options. I've got a few other projects I want to clear up before I revisit the 5-10, though.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a spare SDC fixed high jet off a Homelite kicking around, and I think my 10-10 may have a SDC37 on it so I have a few options. I've got a few other projects I want to clear up before I revisit the 5-10, though.
Ive got a short needle sdc44 ( and others) , when you get around to it and need another carb let met know if you want to try something else, I'll drop one in the mail for you.
I'm not sure if the linkage from the homelite will work?
Honestly I don't know if you can really notice a difference in performance of the 70cc or less saws between the sdc carbs? I think thats why the factory seemed to swap them around indiscriminately. Could be more torque from a smaller carb?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not exactly sure what I used on the 6-10 but it was parts from two carbs one with a larger venturi .It was a combination of muffler ,carb and timing I think but it will scream .It's been a couple of years since I've used that little noise maker . If it weren't 10 degrees I'd fire it up today as I have some wood to cut .I'll wait until it hits at least 20 and use something I know will start .This is not the time of the year to play with a hot rod

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not exactly sure what I used on the 6-10 but it was parts from two carbs one with a larger venturi .It was a combination of muffler ,carb and timing I think but it will scream .It's been a couple of years since I've used that little noise maker . If it weren't 10 degrees I'd fire it up today as I have some wood to cut .I'll wait until it hits at least 20 and use something I know will start .This is not the time of the year to play with a hot rod

Video or it never happened Al! :p

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone got any 10 series coils laying around they'd be willing to sell (to fit 10-10A & 2-10)? I'm in need of about 4 coils.I saw some on Feebay for $55 used,that's too much.I can buy a brand new one from Bob J.for around $48.I just spent $435 on parts from Bob,so it'd be kinda tough to spend another $190+ on just coils.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone got any 10 series coils laying around they'd be willing to sell (to fit 10-10A & 2-10)? I'm in need of about 4 coils.I saw some on Feebay for $55 used,that's too much.I can buy a brand new one from Bob J.for around $48.I just spent $435 on parts from Bob,so it'd be kinda tough to spend another $190+ on just coils.

You have 4 bad points coils? I've only had one in the dozens of saws I've had over the years. The electronic ones are another story. :)

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ed - I can send you a couple coils, although like Steve said, they rarely go bad.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had just one 10 series Mac coil go bad but after I cooked it in the oven on low heat it resurrected itself .I gave it a good dousing with Glyptol and it's on a Mac some place but which one I'm not certain of .Usually if they won't fire it's the condenser or the points need regapped because the wiper has worn down . On the price I suppose NOS would bring a premium .On the other hand I'd well imagine another coil from another brand might be substituted .The big question is which one .After market coils are dirt cheap .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent a bunch of condensers & 4 coils to Bob J.to be tested.There were a few condensers out of about 15 I sent to him that tested bad,I expected that.I sent 4 coils to be tested as well & he told me yesterday that they were all bad.I expected one to be bad as it had a bunch of cracks in it.I tested those coils on my Ohm meter & 3 out of 4 tested good.He said they were "leaking".I told him to send the coils back & I'm going to give them a couple coats of marine varnish.I had a module (not a coil) off an Olympik saw that had the same issue with cracks in it & it had no spark.I baked it in the oven at 200* for 2 hrs.,let it cool & gave it the marine varnish treatment.That was 3 yrs.ago & the module is still good.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had two solid state coils on Mac pm 610's IE "cinder blocks " that were bad .One I bought for my wifes' nephew and one that still looks brand new for my son .That one is in my shed .At the time a guy on flea bay claimed he had over 1000 of them at ten bucks a hit .I bought 4 should have bought two dozen .Back then I didn't have the money but I do now .Those seem to fetch between 35- 40 bucks .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had two solid state coils on Mac pm 610's IE "cinder blocks " that were bad .One I bought for my wifes' nephew and one that still looks brand new for my son .That one is in my shed .At the time a guy on flea bay claimed he had over 1000 of them at ten bucks a hit .I bought 4 should have bought two dozen .Back then I didn't have the money but I do now .Those seem to fetch between 35- 40 bucks .
When's the last time you priced those modules on Feebay Al? The going price is now between $48 - $60+.I have about 3 spares on hand.There was a guy over on AS who was sending me parts for the cost of postage & it seemed every time I had parts coming he threw in another module,Lol.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed - I can send you a couple coils, although like Steve said, they rarely go bad.
I've got 3 coils (possibly 4) that are good + a brand new one that I bought a couple months ago from Bob J.If I can seal them & bring them back from the dead I'll be OK (I think).If I need one for some reason I'll let you know.I also have my feelers out on Feebay.