MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well quite frankly I haven't checked prices simply because I haven't needed any .Simple as that .:) I'm not certain how many I already have .--enough ---

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got 3 coils (possibly 4) that are good + a brand new one that I bought a couple months ago from Bob J.If I can seal them & bring them back from the dead I'll be OK (I think).If I need one for some reason I'll let you know.I also have my feelers out on Feebay.

Ed ,if you chip those bad coils you'd be taking alot of the guess work out of the other components being a problem.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had success replacing the coil wire on some that were sketchy. Others just need about 1/4 clipped of the end and the spring/coil connector reinstalled. I rarely have any that the coil wire thread out easily, but the hollow, LH twist screw extractor available from Rockler and other places works pretty well for getting the broken end of the wire out. Go slowly and frequently remove the material that accumulates in the bit.

DSC05852.JPG

DSC05853.JPG

Mark

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only had to replace one or two wires.Yeah,they can be real buggers to get out of the coil.When I epoxy the wires back in I use Devcon.I've also found that it's quite rare that the wire is bad where it screws into the coil.Most of the time it's at the spark plug end with deteriorated wire & boot,& sometimes the spring comes out of the wire.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I swapped a SDC37A onto the 5-10, and it certainly seemed to wake up a bit. It may be wishful thinking, but it seemed like it didn't bog down in the cut quite as much. I checked and it was wearing a smaller SDC-2 before so this was definitely an upgrade. However, I need to replace the check valve in the carb as it ran a bit erratically after I swapped the carbs. Or the tank is nearly empty..... I'd better check tomorrow.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In this conversation of ignition problems one thing that has not been mentioned is the flywheel magnets loosing strength .It can and does happen at times although rare .For reasons unknown one of them looses it's retentivity, the ability to hold magnetism .Weak field no spark .My fix which works to some degree is recharging it with a rare earth magnet but usually that's temporary at best because given a few months of not running it fails again . It used to be a problem decades ago on model T Ford flywheel ignitions which could be recharged .How that could be done on a small engine flywheel I have no idea .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the muffler parts today for the 2-10 from Mark & I put them on the duct/body that I already had on the saw.Just for the heck of it I turned the flywheel over by hand & held the plug to the muffler & it sparked several times.Now this coil has a crack in it where the wire screws in,so I'm going to epoxy it.I'll start the assembly of the saw soon after.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had another PM310 sent to me by a member here.Thank you Ryan! No disrespect intended,but the saw was really dirty,I could barely tell it had yellow paint,Lol.After a light cleaning I put some fuel in the carb & it fired.Good thing I didn't decide to just fuel it up,the fuel line was disintegrated from using ethanol laden fuel.The carb cover broke after a couple of uses.So here's the layout - it has good compression & spark.It's going to need a new throttle cable (I think it has a broken sheath),needs a new fuel line,& most likely will need a carb rebuild,& the wave washer for the choke needs to be replaced.I don't know if I'll be getting to it this yr.or not.I hate to say this here,but I've got some Homies that need my attention & I still have some other Macs to finish up too.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Mark,yes I know you've got the covers.However,I didn't know you made the throttle cables! I've got too many projects piling up that I need to address.

I put a clutch on the 2-10 today.I had to rob the nut from a 10-10 (another project saw),& hunt up the Woodruff key & the bar stud nuts.I put a recoil starter on it & it seems to be holding up.It has great blue spark & some good compression.Next I'll need to drill a hole in the oil tank to mount the fuel tank.The 2-10 didn't have a drilled hole in the oil tank for the fuel tank to attach to.Once the fuel tank is on the rest will go fairly quick.I'll need to get some Allen head cap screws for the fuel tank & some flange nuts for the clutch.The 10-10A IPL doesn't have an illustration for the Allen screw,I think it's listed,but not shown.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can anyone here verify the size of the screw that's used to attach the fuel tank to the oil tank/engine?I came up with 10-24 x 7/8.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 10 series parts lot on Feebay last week & got the goods yesterday.In the lot I got a coil with a broken plug wire (what a biotch to get that wire out of the coil!),2 automatic oilpumps (one metal & one plastic) + the gaskets,1 manual oiler that's missing the disc,bottom half of a points box,2 fuel caps,2 AF knobs w/ring,oil line w/screen,many bolts & other odds-n-ends.For $22 I think I did alright.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like Mcculloch 797's are hot. You guys see the one on ebay that ends today with a horrible repaint.
Starting bid was 1900.00 and it's at 2550.00 Looks like i may start thinking about selling a few.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like Mcculloch 797's are hot. You guys see the one on ebay that ends today with a horrible repaint.
Starting bid was 1900.00 and it's at 2550.00 Looks like i may start thinking about selling a few.
The last I saw it was at $2500.I'm also watching the PM850 that's at $400 now.I expect it'll go over $500.I'm glad I bought my 10-10s cheap & got them running.I picked them up for $25-$30,put a different fuel tank handle on & got them running again.At the time I looked at it as an investment + I learned a lot along the way.Even the simple 10-10s are going for well over $100.I wish I had a 797,not because I'd make a ton of money on it,but just to know what it's like to run one.I guess the closest I'll come to a 797 is my SP125.The SP125 is another story,Lol.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd imagine that $2550 is just chuming the waters ,don't be surprised if the auction isn't called off soon .It's an old trick .I once followed a Mac 1000 set for over $1000 and the guy would not give me the minimum bid which no way on Gods green earth would I go that high .In a period of over month maybe 6 weeks that same saw using the same picture appeared on 3 different sales by three different users name .Don't take flea bay seriously . --"Just David " tried to get over $400 for a Mac PM 610 by hyping it up .

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ed your holding out....i didnt know you had a 125!!!!

I know youve got a great running sp81..lol. but didnt know about the 125.

Vinnywv

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ebay is fascinating to me. Typically, not always, but typically crazy prices are due to a pissing match of just 2 people that have to be the highest bidder through out the entire auction. Its great for sellers. Just fascinates me though. Remember the nos sp125c a couple weeks ago? It was 2 guys constantly outbidding each other all week. In the final seconds the winner bid 1 bid and his only bid of the auction. No it wasnt me but i watched it all week long.