MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only reeder I ever had a tach on was an 87 cc Mac gear drive 650 .That one free spooled a little over 9,000 but that one had a gutted muffler, no baffles .Loud enough to wake the dead and make dogs howl .

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was reading possibly between 9-10k but couldn't find an exact answer. I haven't tached the saw just tuned by ear so that it has a solid 2 stroke sound but feel it's a little rich but I'd rather rich than lean. Was just curious if there was an exact rpm that was recommended as Acres didn't list one.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tune it by ear. Best to tune it under load in the wood.

That's how I do it - I tune them fairly rich and then work it to where they clean up in the cut.

The kart guys have been tuning the 101s to around 9.5k to 11.5k, depending on the type of intake set-up. Of course
they run them wide open the entire time they're on the track.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's very little published information on top end specs. I ran across this some time back, but it's all I've ever seen and not exactly very relevant. More like a B.S. promo sheet than anything else.

Attachments

• Mac Setup Specs.pdf
    266.4 KB · Views: 9

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that 10-10 super I've been trying to work on was for my father whose first saw was a old 10-10. Its why I've been trying to track down oem or decent parts like crazy.

The winter delays have got me stumped atm. But I also got the courage to mess with the old rings and good news I got them flipped from top to bottom without snapping them.

But in further news tonight I got him in the garage making his due rewrapping the handle.

IMG_20210218_172132.jpg

Last edited:

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well that 10-10 super I've been trying to work on was for my father whose first saw was a old 10-10. Its why I've been trying to track down oem or decent parts like crazy.

The winter delays have got me stumped atm. But I also got the courage to mess with the old rings and good news I got them flipped from top to bottom without snapping them.

Well tonight I got him in the garage making his due rewrapping the handle.

View attachment 283564
What other parts you need?

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What other parts you need?

I think I'm pretty much "set" it was really just the rings I was worried about. I ended up flipping them in my mind the slightly lower compression isn't going to be a bad thing with him. I tracked down a NOS exhaust manifold and going to have him weld together a cover out of stainless for it.

EDIT: But if you have NOS rings/piston I'd gladly pay for them so I can have them on hand.

Last edited:

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'm pretty much "set" it was really just the rings I was worried about. I ended up flipping them in my mind the slightly lower compression isn't going to be a bad thing with him. I tracked down a NOS exhaust manifold and going to have him weld together a cover out of stainless for it.

EDIT: But if you have NOS rings/piston I'd gladly pay for them so I can have them on hand.
Wish I did.
Ive got a set of 54 cc rings that @Steve sent me, but no set for a 57 cc.
I may have a muffler. I believe the 700 MIGHT use the same one. Others here know more than I do.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish I did.
Ive got a set of 54 cc rings that @Steve sent me, but no set for a 57 cc.
I may have a muffler. I believe the 700 MIGHT use the same one. Others here know more than I do.

From comparing the two it looks like a yes they would work. But the one I bought was brand new in packaging. So I went with it. The old one the boot seized in it. I tried soaking and heating but the bolt itself was just twisting.

I though about a million different ways to do it but for $20 for new I didn't see a problem.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep.
Actually found a 1010S muffler.
Its the same as the one for my 7-10A thats currently torn down, except it isnt a Power reed muffler.
0218211931.jpg

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

But in further news tonight I got him in the garage making his due rewrapping the handle.

View attachment 283564
Ive gone to using some bike handle wrap, with all the bike enthusiasts now the handle bar wrap have gotten pretty good for chainsaw handles.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's how I do it - I tune them fairly rich and then work it to where they clean up in the cut.

The kart guys have been tuning the 101s to around 9.5k to 11.5k, depending on the type of intake set-up. Of course
they run them wide open the entire time they're on the track.
I talked with Terry about the kart redline and saw sp125 crank redline in a 101 motor, a while ago and he was saying 12.5k was the max loaded rpm. That’s the max max racing rpm! Bad thing happen after That! With big reeds and big carbs the 101 can turn 10k plus and make power, but a saw intake really can’t breathe above 9k.

I was reading possibly between 9-10k but couldn't find an exact answer. I haven't tached the saw just tuned by ear so that it has a solid 2 stroke sound but feel it's a little rich but I'd rather rich than lean. Was just curious if there was an exact rpm that was recommended as Acres didn't list one.

Like the everyone has said, tune it in the cut, and start fat! Big wood may want lower than 9k tune

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive gone to using some bike handle wrap, with all the bike enthusiasts now the handle bar wrap have gotten pretty good for chainsaw handles.

Yep! That's exactly what I've been doing! I had a oem 372 wrap and the rubber kept twisting. I ended up cutting it off and redoing it.

Screenshot_20210219-075802__01__01.jpg

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep.
Actually found a 1010S muffler.
Its the same as the one for my 7-10A thats currently torn down, except it isnt a Power reed muffler.
View attachment 283613
In my opinion that's the best one and it will fit on a 700 ,possibly needing some alternations to fit .There was also a curved bottom style for the 82 cc models . You can pull the baffle plate and change the cover but keep in mind they get loud enough to blow your ear drums out . As far as the so called power reed type I've yet to see one the gate wasn't rusted shut .

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my opinion that's the best one and it will fit on a 700 ,possibly needing some alternations to fit .There was also a curved bottom style for the 82 cc models . You can pull the baffle plate and change the cover but keep in mind they get loud enough to blow your ear drums out . As far as the so called power reed type I've yet to see one the gate wasn't rusted shut .
LOL! I havent found one that still had all of the reed.
Even my low hour PM700 was missing half the reed.
Most have already been taken off.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tough week this week, Mrs. Heimann was admitted to the hospital on Monday and will be there another day or two at least. On the mend now but it will continue to be slow going for a while.

That felt in the oil pump is called "Pad, Pump" in the IPL's, many of the IPL's show it and it is quite often missing. I am not sure what the purpose is.

My 640 WOT out of the wood. It was a little lean but not really screaming for mercy.

DSCN0530.jpg

The Magnificent Seven The DE50 is mostly McCulloch ("built in an Italian McCulloch factory"), the others are Dolmars.

macbrocure_aa.jpg
Macbrocure2aa.jpg

Good to see Aaron posting again.

Mark

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tough week this week, Mrs. Heimann was admitted to the hospital on Monday and will be there another day or two at least. On the mend now but it will continue to be slow going for a while.

That felt in the oil pump is called "Pad, Pump" in the IPL's, many of the IPL's show it and it is quite often missing. I am not sure what the purpose is.

My 640 WOT out of the wood. It was a little lean but not really screaming for mercy.

View attachment 283796

The Magnificent Seven The DE50 is mostly McCulloch ("built in an Italian McCulloch factory"), the others are Dolmars.

View attachment 283797
View attachment 283798

Good to see Aaron posting again.

Mark
That's a really neat old brochure! I've recently been trying to collect some of the old mcculloch, homelite, pioneer and random ads/brochures. I found one the other day for the Mini Mac 1 that literally read "The Trees. From long-haired hippies to clean-cut beauties in a few mini mac minutes!" I loved that, you don't find rhetoric like that in today's ads.
Sorry to hear about the wife Mark. Glad to hear she's on the mend. Hope you can get her to take it easy at home. That's the hardest part for me. When my wife got sick the hospital visit was the easy part. Trying to get her to not overdo it at home was difficult and of course once she did she was down for the next day or two. That and going outside in the cold dry air didn't do her lungs any favors. [emoji58]
56b9d7b7a6143cfc2ad8afa65e58ec6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk