MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use motoseal. Leave the old gasket in the top cover. Wipe all sealing surfaces with brake clean. Smear on motoseal and assemble.
Ive done that to a couple of mine too.
Just wondering, has anyone tried to take one back apart that had used Motoseal?
Ive split dirt bike casings put together with Yamabond, and it wasnt fun.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW gaskets have almost disappeared on modern auto engines and been replacement with sealants .The worlds standard is Locktite 5900 .Since it's inception "jacking bolt "holes had to be installed because it won't leak and it won't let go .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW gaskets have almost disappeared on modern auto engines and been replacement with sealants .The worlds standard is Locktite 5900 .Since it's inception "jacking bolt "holes had to be installed because it won't leak and it won't let go .

That don't have chit on permatex right stuff!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a fortified rtv based sealer. It is highly resistant to trans fluid, gear oil, most any thing but gasoline. Can be put into service in 60 seconds. Has a bond so strong it will hold a mobile home during a tornado.

12027859_ptx_99070_pri_larg.jpg

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a fortified rtv based sealer. It is highly resistant to trans fluid, gear oil, most any thing but gasoline. Can be put into service in 60 seconds. Has a bond so strong it will hold a mobile home during a tornado.

View attachment 271271
Absolutely right about that.
Someone that worked for us got some and used it on an outdoor hoist electrical cabinet cover. I was unfortunate enough to be the next one to work on it. Had to drive a sharpenned putty knife into it ALL the way around to get it open.:mad:
Says its not gasoline resistant though. Maybe I should have just poured some ethanol on it...

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose you could use old school Permatex number 1 .That's what Caterpillar used in the old days .

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you could that would be great. I'll pm you for your PayPal address.
O ring material at the very least, without the gasket in there ,it'll throw off the geometry of the air filter cover and the tank spacer for the hold down screw.
Glad your putting a gasket in.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
O-ring material, soft buna-n cord stock can be purchased through Mc master -Carr in 10 foot lengths .As well they sell buna-n tubing which might work on this application .
At work occasionally they had to make an o-ring if it was some odd ball size they just made one .What type of adhesive they used I have no idea .

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FelPro hybrid cork/rubber gasket material is what I normally use. You can get a couple hundred gaskets out of a $13 sheet. I don't even try cutting the gasket to shape. I trim about a 3/32" strip off the edge of the sheet to the length required for a gasket and seal the butt joint with Motoseal or Dirko along with using a super thin layer on both surfaces. Cheap. Relatively quick. Works.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
O-ring material, soft buna-n cord stock can be purchased through Mc master -Carr in 10 foot lengths .As well they sell buna-n tubing which might work on this application .
At work occasionally they had to make an o-ring if it was some odd ball size they just made one .What type of adhesive they used I have no idea .
I make custom o-rings at work all the time. We use permatex super glue. Our sales rep said that super glue was originally designed specifically for glueing o-rings, I'm not sure if I believe that though.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can buy a lot of shapes and sizes of Buna-N ,I bought a sheet of I think 1/8" to do a temporary repair on the gas fill spout of my Ford Ranger using hose clamps and Permatex aviation .It was cold as a well diggers butt when I discovered the leak and it held until spring time before I replaced it .The sheet stock wasn't very expensive --flea bay .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might add I made a bunch of gaskets for GI type gas cans using that stock .If you don't have a gasket they spill all over the place . I think the pirates wanted 8 bucks a pop for them, cork---humbug .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can buy square o-ring material from McMaster Carr in Buna N, cork gaskets are now available from eBay for $9.00 delivered, or Viton gaskets (delivered) for $13.00. The good folks at Sawzilla will make a better offer for quantities of 10 or more.

Mark

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FelPro hybrid cork/rubber gasket material is what I don't even try cutting the gasket to shape.
You can buy square o-ring material from McMaster Carr in Buna N, cork gaskets are now available from eBay for $9.00 delivered, or Viton gaskets (delivered) for $13.00. The good folks at Sawzilla will make a better offer for quantities of 10 or more.

Mark

Those viton gaskets are the best I have ever used.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Several years ago someone came to me looking for an SP125...I suggested I probably had enough parts around to piece one together and he agreed to buy what I could gather up...then he never came back with a payment. So, I was looking for some other parts recently and came across the box again and decided it was time to move ahead on the project. The cylinder in the box needed replated but I had another parts saw hiding in the attic that seemed to have decent compression so I started throwing parts together. As soon as I put things together I find some bits in the attic that are better so this one will get a complete tear down again to take advantage of the better parts. Thanks to Vinny and Leha I think I now have everything I will need to bring it to completion except for a keyed clutch. If I cannot locate one, I will cut the ears off this clutch off a RH start saw.

The muffler is off a CP125 I think, but the mounting holes had all been wasted so they drilled & tapped them for 5/16" screws. The AF cover has been modified for improved flow, and the lower brace was badly corroded so I am in the process of trying to patch it with some JB Weld....not the brace shown here.

20201212_161404.jpg

20201212_161411.jpg

20201212_161416.jpg

20201212_161423.jpg

This brace is undergoing repairs.

20201212_165541.jpg

It starts very nicely, accelerates responsively, idles well, and the manual oiler works. I haven't had a chance to verify that the automatic oiler works or not.

I will outfit it with one of my steel full wrap handlebars and the 3D printed clamps. I will be very interested to see how this one stacks up against the 075 that my friend picked up recently.

Mark

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Several years ago someone came to me looking for an SP125...I suggested I probably had enough parts around to piece one together and he agreed to buy what I could gather up...then he never came back with a payment. So, I was looking for some other parts recently and came across the box again and decided it was time to move ahead on the project. The cylinder in the box needed replated but I had another parts saw hiding in the attic that seemed to have decent compression so I started throwing parts together. As soon as I put things together I find some bits in the attic that are better so this one will get a complete tear down again to take advantage of the better parts. Thanks to Vinny and Leha I think I now have everything I will need to bring it to completion except for a keyed clutch. If I cannot locate one, I will cut the ears off this clutch off a RH start saw.

The muffler is off a CP125 I think, but the mounting holes had all been wasted so they drilled & tapped them for 5/16" screws. The AF cover has been modified for improved flow, and the lower brace was badly corroded so I am in the process of trying to patch it with some JB Weld....not the brace shown here.

View attachment 271703

View attachment 271704

View attachment 271705

View attachment 271706

This brace is undergoing repairs.

View attachment 271707

It starts very nicely, accelerates responsively, idles well, and the manual oiler works. I haven't had a chance to verify that the automatic oiler works or not.

I will outfit it with one of my steel full wrap handlebars and the 3D printed clamps. I will be very interested to see how this one stacks up against the 075 that my friend picked up recently.

Mark
Very cool Mark.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Say not to be a smart aleck but I did cut a grade 50 cast iron liner for a 125 .I'm certain you have the ability to do the same which is an option instead of replating .As you well know the CP, and 125C plus the mac 101 which is cast iron all take the same tool steel piston rings .It's time consuming but do -able .