MCCULLOCH The official McCulloch thread

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the first I've had do this of 4. The super pro 40 is basically a rear handle mini. I would do that if I had to. What did you use to block them off?

To get them machines out the door I cut round solid gasket to go between pump and crankcase, apply a little dirko and works good. Tell them that only have the manual oiler then as crankcase impulse is sealed up for auto oil pump.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To get them machines out the door I cut round solid gasket to go between pump and crankcase, apply a little dirko and works good. Tell them that only have the manual oiler then as crankcase impulse is sealed up for auto oil pump.
Thank you. If I don't have a spare that works I'll do that.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. If I don't have a spare that works I'll do that.
I have one clam shell that saving for myself as it does not have the impulse for auto oil. Note some of the late cheaper eager beavers had manual oil only. With that clam shell you don't have to bother with make-shift bypass.

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have one clam shell that saving for myself as it does not have the impulse for auto oil. Note some of the late cheaper eager beavers had manual oil only. With that clam shell you don't have to bother with make-shift bypass.
I sold an eager beaver to my neighbor that was manual only. Manual oilers work fine.

Last edited:

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
11:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use motoseal. Leave the old gasket in the top cover. Wipe all sealing surfaces with brake clean. Smear on motoseal and assemble.
Well the old seal was broke in three places, so it's gone. What about filling the groove, and letting it dry, and then assemble it?

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I removed gasket from one bad leaking tank and filled groove with sealer (dirko). That worked fine (great), but noticed that when tightened air filter top down onto air filter that it wanted to bend or warp air filter down as tank top set further down in groove without gasket. Just wanted to metion. Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the old seal was broke in three places, so it's gone. What about filling the groove, and letting it dry, and then assemble it?

I assembled tank while sealer wet & no gasket so that may have been the issue with clearance difference.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I removed gasket from one bad leaking tank and filled groove with sealer (dirko). That worked fine (great), but noticed that when tightened air filter top down onto air filter that it wanted to bend or warp air filter down as tank top set further down in groove without gasket. Just wanted to metion. Good luck with whatever option you choose.
If shipping times didn't suck right now, I would just order a gasket. Giving my pro mac 1010 to my oldest boy for Christmas. It will be his first saw.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only used the dirko as can get it cheaper than the permatex, and other sealers from auto stores.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If shipping times didn't suck right now, I would just order a gasket. Giving my pro mac 1010 to my oldest boy for Christmas. It will be his first saw.

That is good deal for your son. I have 3 sons and one of them still gives me grief as I sold a 385xp husqvarna that was his favorite. Got the other two sons liking Mac's...still working on the the one oddball. He thinks he is funny on jobs with sometimes wearing a viking helmet with horns instead of of his Gripo helmet.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is good deal for your son. I have 3 sons and one of them still gives me grief as I sold a 385xp husqvarna that was his favorite. Got the other two sons liking Mac's...still working on the the one oddball. He thinks he is funny on jobs with sometimes wearing a viking helmet with horns instead of of his Gripo helmet.
That's great, and I think the Viking helmet is pretty funny for sure.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, he is a good son...he is youngest though and still has girls as a priority and goofing around. The older two son and i have to slap him around at times.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Motoseal for the Mac tanks. Dirko would be my second choice. Most everything else (including Seal-All) will eventually leak..., and depending on what else you may happen to try, just create a major pain in the ass clean-up operation so you can do it right the second time.

If you have any thin (1/16") gasket material available of any type, just cut a long strip to occupy the groove space with a butt joint and smear a modest bead of Motoseal on each surface. Put it together. Done. I've never done one with no gasket at all, but would still use Motoseal if ever presented with that situation -- probably in two applications. One to sorta fill the gasket groove space for starters (and let dry). A second thin application for each tank half for the actual sealing. It won't leak.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good advice there Pogo. the dirko is easy clean up too if have to re-apply or something. If no gasket used let sealer dry in groove first before reassembly as poge metions. I've used Seal-All a lot too and at first it is great, however with time though get leaks.

Get that 10-10 under the christmas tree....that is good gift!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I can cut you a gasket tonight and have it in the mail tomorrow Mike. Bet it would be there by this time next week.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everybody who collects McCulloch should own a mini and Stihl collectors an 020AV top handle .Homelites should own a double trigger xl 2 or whatever it's called .If you can have the cool to work on these things you can work on anything ,I just have to walk away at times .Beating on them with a BFH won't fix them .If it would I have a 12 pounder I can't hardly swing any more .

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, he is a good son...he is youngest though and still has girls as a priority and goofing around. The older two son and i have to slap him around at times.

I can't imagine you slapping someone around Kevin. I'd have to come see that! :D