MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What was story on these??

A guy gave me one that was not uses much , hasn't ran in over 10 years .

Fueled it up ,

Started on 3rd pull.

018d41ca581ffdc1e8da3be6e55cdb4d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of those up in Canada. They seem to run well and spew bar oil.

I always felt like it would fall apart if it hit a knot in the wood.

Weak spots are the oiler hose and the oil tank filler neck.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Several years ago someone came to me looking for an SP125...I suggested I probably had enough parts around to piece one together and he agreed to buy what I could gather up...then he never came back with a payment. So, I was looking for some other parts recently and came across the box again and decided it was time to move ahead on the project. The cylinder in the box needed replated but I had another parts saw hiding in the attic that seemed to have decent compression so I started throwing parts together. As soon as I put things together I find some bits in the attic that are better so this one will get a complete tear down again to take advantage of the better parts. Thanks to Vinny and Leha I think I now have everything I will need to bring it to completion except for a keyed clutch. If I cannot locate one, I will cut the ears off this clutch off a RH start saw.

The muffler is off a CP125 I think, but the mounting holes had all been wasted so they drilled & tapped them for 5/16" screws. The AF cover has been modified for improved flow, and the lower brace was badly corroded so I am in the process of trying to patch it with some JB Weld....not the brace shown here.

View attachment 271703

View attachment 271704

View attachment 271705

View attachment 271706

This brace is undergoing repairs.

View attachment 271707

It starts very nicely, accelerates responsively, idles well, and the manual oiler works. I haven't had a chance to verify that the automatic oiler works or not.

I will outfit it with one of my steel full wrap handlebars and the 3D printed clamps. I will be very interested to see how this one stacks up against the 075 that my friend picked up recently.

Mark
You have all the cool stuff Mark. Very nice to see another one alive. Maybe one day I'll luck up.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Brent - Once you have been accumulating stuff for a few years you are surprised from time to time when you open up a box. I will be interested to see how this one stacks up against the one I use when I need a big saw/longer bar. I may be able to clean up the nicer one and put it in the museum for a while until this junk yard dog gives up.

Machine - those saws were built by McCulloch after the move to Tucson, the assembly plant was in Hermosillo, MX. They usually require new fuel and oil lines, might as well replace the snap in primer too. Replace the gasket in the oil cap so you don't have to strong arm it to keep the cap from leaking. Many of those saws were killed by overtightening the oil cap and pulling the threads out of the filler neck. If you keep in mind it is only 35cc, it is not a bad little saw and you won't feel too badly if you drop it out of a tree or run over it with your truck.

Mark

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Several years ago someone came to me looking for an SP125...I suggested I probably had enough parts around to piece one together and he agreed to buy what I could gather up...then he never came back with a payment. So, I was looking for some other parts recently and came across the box again and decided it was time to move ahead on the project. The cylinder in the box needed replated but I had another parts saw hiding in the attic that seemed to have decent compression so I started throwing parts together. As soon as I put things together I find some bits in the attic that are better so this one will get a complete tear down again to take advantage of the better parts. Thanks to Vinny and Leha I think I now have everything I will need to bring it to completion except for a keyed clutch. If I cannot locate one, I will cut the ears off this clutch off a RH start saw.

The muffler is off a CP125 I think, but the mounting holes had all been wasted so they drilled & tapped them for 5/16" screws. The AF cover has been modified for improved flow, and the lower brace was badly corroded so I am in the process of trying to patch it with some JB Weld....not the brace shown here.

View attachment 271703

View attachment 271704

View attachment 271705

View attachment 271706

This brace is undergoing repairs.

View attachment 271707

It starts very nicely, accelerates responsively, idles well, and the manual oiler works. I haven't had a chance to verify that the automatic oiler works or not.

I will outfit it with one of my steel full wrap handlebars and the 3D printed clamps. I will be very interested to see how this one stacks up against the 075 that my friend picked up recently.

Mark

I got a whole box full of those braces Mark, so I'll send one your way. You don't necessarily need a keyed clutch on these - if you lap the clutch to the crank and torque the clutch nut to the specification, it won't slip without a key.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks JJ, a decent brace will be a big improvement over the patched up one. I know that Lee has commented the same idea on the keyed clutch but I fear the RH nut loosening up and letting it slip. I could use a flex lok nut to resist coming loose.

On the other hand, I have several of those RH start clutches on hand, several without the pawls and springs already. If I remember correctly I may have one on one or both of the 101 powered saws I can borrow for a while.

Mark

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went with a JB repair for the clutch cover on the junk yard dog 125 project. I cut and formed a piece of screen, warmed the cover with a heat gun, applied a layer of JB, press in the screen, add some JB on top, a little more heat to get everything to flow together. I believe this will work until I can find a better clutch cover.

20201214_175207.jpg

Mark

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks JJ, a decent brace will be a big improvement over the patched up one. I know that Lee has commented the same idea on the keyed clutch but I fear the RH nut loosening up and letting it slip. I could use a flex lok nut to resist coming loose.

On the other hand, I have several of those RH start clutches on hand, several without the pawls and springs already. If I remember correctly I may have one on one or both of the 101 powered saws I can borrow for a while.

Mark
I agree with jj on the clutch, don’t run a key, it’s better for to slip without a key then slip with a key, the latter will usually chip out a large chunk on the taper! Lap the clutch with some valve grinding compound and it will hold, its a good idea to retorque it after one use. I have had them come loose with a rh thread and no damage has occurred, just retorque and go. I have rh thread crank in the wb101

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a side note, On all clutches when i install i heat the clutch hub with a
heat gun prior to installing on the crank. Get the hub to expand a couple
thou. Gives it a better and tighter fit. I notice it when i need to remove as
they seem to be a bit more stubborn.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a side note, On all clutches when i install i heat the clutch hub with a
heat gun prior to installing on the crank. Get the hub to expand a couple
thou. Gives it a better and tighter fit. I notice it when i need to remove as
they seem to be a bit more stubborn.
Good idea, I will try that next time! How hot do you get it?

northwest saws

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got some swag in today, what do you fellers think? Now I can keep my head warm, contain all of my hair and look good all at the same time while cutting and wrenching on stuffs.
23250f7432c6fcfef65d61470a8015d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got some swag in today, what do you fellers think? Now I can keep my head warm, contain all of my hair and look good all at the same time while cutting and wrenching on stuffs.

Looks great! I turned my mac hat into my lucky fishing hat this year! 03535A2D-D613-4E52-AF43-EEA3AD04FC5B.jpeg Lol7F45BFBD-5837-4589-B57F-3F092A34E1DF.jpegC7ED7631-150A-488E-BF81-F911A25BD9DF.jpeg73170BD7-1B75-4D75-A354-3B2820FF2246.jpegF6053ED3-F3B6-4C0A-8CB1-FF871891CC21.jpeg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it hasn't already been mentioned in my collection of McCulloch stuff they talk of using a keyless clutch on the 125 C for the reasons previously mentioned .I've never had a problem yet on a reed valve Mac but I have several crankshafts from 10 series with torn out key ways . They could probably be repaired which I doubt I ever will .If a crankshaft would fail running 8-10 thousand RPM's it would be a cause for great concern .

bigbore

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Where did you get that from?
Is anyone selling cool Mac merch online? My google foo didn't turn up much.