Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what everyone says. Some folks are more adamant about it than others. Fact is, it depends on quite a few variables considering there were three different cylinders for 7-10s and two for PM700's..., with two of the three being used on both saws. Then there is the ignition aspect as you mentioned. Points here - electronic there. Different rings (and compression) between different variations of cylinders. Iron bore vs. chrome bore. At least three different carburetors among all of em...

Yep. I'd say it depends. I also think it's part perception due to the difference in weight between a 7-10 and a PM700 with a 7-10 being a lighter saw.

Folks will also say a 6-10A is a stronger saw than this, that, or the other. Could be..., considering the only major difference between an early 7-10 and a 6-10A is the sticker and which side the starter's on.

The debate will continue, but in most cases, the biggest difference will be how sharp the chain is.

The 7-10 will spank my fresh 6-10 super any day of the week. That is my experience.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All yellow with that type of cover/sticker, I'd tend to agree. I'd be a little wary of the seller rating, tho. Ya gotta be pretty shaky to get much below a 99.5, let alone a 98.5. Offer $50~$60 and see what the counter is / how the correspondence goes. Decent enough shape externally and probably worth a shot..

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the more interesting documents I have found in the materials provided to me by Mike Jackson. Mike's Dad, Robert V. Jackson was an engineer at McCulloch in the height of their successes. I have no idea who "Bill" might have been...

Note the signature on the letter.

Mark

Attachments

• Lake Havasu Letter.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

simsponsawshop

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The seller wont go less than $80 plus the $28 shipping I'm not sure it's worth it. Especially for a non runner that may turn out to just be another 54cc saw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am highly confident it is a 70cc motor. But still too much for me at 80 plus shipping.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the points ignition on the 7-10 related to my 6-10 remember the 6-10 is not entirely stock in the true sense of the word .I spent hours and hours on that thing and I don't cut with because it will blow out your ear drums .I'll just say it will dead stick at over 10 thousand because the last time I told the actual RPM's I got trolled by some on line guy claiming to be from Germany and I'll never say that again .I learned my lesson .

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This week's line up. I want to have some saws for sale in the museum shop and thought more modern saws with brakes would be appropriate for the local market. I already have four or five over there, including one 610 and will add 3 more 610's and the EB42.

20200412_165004.jpg

As you can see in the background below, I also have some longer term projects in the works.

20200412_165024.jpg

Mark

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the points ignition on the 7-10 related to my 6-10 remember the 6-10 is not entirely stock in the true sense of the word .I spent hours and hours on that thing and I don't cut with because it will blow out your ear drums .I'll just say it will dead stick at over 10 thousand because the last time I told the actual RPM's I got trolled by some on line guy claiming to be from Germany and I'll never say that again .I learned my lesson .

Got to be able to back up you claims Al. Dont be mad because some dude in germany called you out! :D

Just out of curiosity, what work have you done to the 6-10 to claim the 15.5k.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My PM 700 seems to have a lot more grunt than my 7-10A.
Probably because the 700 is in near mint condition and has 190 psi compression.
7-10 has had a pretty rough life and has about 135 psi.
I still pick up the 7-10 first, since its got the 20" bar. That does most of what I need around the house.
Put a 28" on the 700 for the occasional bigger wood. Handles it well, but does make it a little unwieldy for smaller jobs, and a bit heavier.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My PM 700 seems to have a lot more grunt than my 7-10A.
Probably because the 700 is in near mint condition and has 190 psi compression.
7-10 has had a pretty rough life and has about 135 psi.
I still pick up the 7-10 first, since its got the 20" bar. That does most of what I need around the house.
Put a 28" on the 700 for the occasional bigger wood. Handles it well, but does make it a little unwieldy for smaller jobs, and a bit heavier.

Freshen up that 7-10 and you will sing a different tune. :)

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So ive heard.
Maybe you know a guy with some fresh parts?;)

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb built of two sections ,top with a larger choke area than normal ,completely gutted muffler from an early 10-10 that's a radiused curved bottom,straight out ,no second curve up .Timing advance to about 30 ahead by the points setting ,exhaust port widened plastic gizmo in the carb intake hogged out a little bit and a lot of blind luck .It didn't happen over night .Just a fact and a lot of people have seen the little saw get with it .Btw It swallowed the screw from the choke butter fly once because I forget to peen it over .That made me pucker but didn't do any damage .It's been 10-12 years since I did it .Might not even start now for all I know
Got to be able to back up you claims Al. Dont be mad because some dude in germany called you out! :D

Just out of curiosity, what work have you done to the 6-10 to claim the 15.5k.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Carb built of two sections ,top with a larger choke area than normal ,completely gutted muffler from an early 10-10 that's a radiused curved bottom,straight out ,no second curve up .Timing advance to about 30 ahead by the points setting ,exhaust port widened plastic gizmo in the carb intake hogged out a little bit and a lot of blind luck .It didn't happen over night .Just a fact and a lot of people have seen the little saw get with it .Btw It swallowed the screw from the choke butter fly once because I forget to peen it over .That made me pucker but didn't do any damage .It's been 10-12 years since I did it .Might not even start now for all I know

I have a 250 i rebuilt that turned out that way. Just some pittly stuff here and there and it pulls a 34" bar like a freight train. Had to take it to the wky gtg in 2014 because Mark didnt believe it ran that well.