Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many acres they chop?
Near that 600 of corn silage for themselves. Another 250ish for one neighbor and 350ish for another neighbor. We’ll do 130 acres a day if nothing blows up.

What do you mean by a 1.5? You talking like group 1.5?

I plant group 4-5 I didn’t know there was .9 or even 1.5s
Yes. In my seed guide we can order from an 0.06 to 5.6. Each .1 past 1.0 is another day to mature. So a 5.6 will usually mature 46 days after the 1.0 and a 0.1 will mature 9 days prior to the 1.0. “Usually”.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Near that 600 of corn silage for themselves. Another 250ish for one neighbor and 350ish for another neighbor. We’ll do 130 acres a day if nothing blows up.

Yes. In my seed guide we can order from an 0.06 to 5.6. Each .1 past 1.0 is another day to mature. So a 5.6 will usually mature 46 days after the 1.0 and a 0.1 will mature 9 days prior to the 1.0. “Usually”.
So why doesn't everyone grow the .1? Saves you 9 days. I am sure there is a good reason, I just have no idea what it could be except the .1 is the most expensive seed?

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So why doesn't everyone grow the .1? Saves you 9 days. I am sure there is a good reason, I just have no idea what it could be except the .1 is the most expensive seed?

My opinion the flugging heat and sun. They would burn up before they mature. It is the same reason we do not grow 85 day corn

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Near that 600 of corn silage for themselves. Another 250ish for one neighbor and 350ish for another neighbor. We’ll do 130 acres a day if nothing blows up. ......
I assume that is with trucks and placed in bunkers.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 0.1's are not the most expensive seed by far but they will have a lot lower yield potential than a "full season" bean. It's best to grow a product that fits in the zone you live in to optimize yield potential. For example it wouldn't make sense for me to plant a 0.1 or a 3.0 because neither is "proper" for my area. We've found that the 1323XF and 1555XF beans from Golden Harvest have been rockstars for us so we plant 1.3-1.5 RM beans.

I’d imagine they wouldn’t yield as well
Correct. If you can plant a 3.0 bean you really should. If you are in an area where you can plant a 3.0 bean but plant a 0.1 they'll definitely still grow but likely won't yield much better than they will quite a ways North and West of me. They'll mature a lot earlier than the 3.0's so there may be a place for them as a double crop bean after wheat or something that is harvested early.

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 0.1's are not the most expensive seed by far but they will have a lot lower yield potential than a "full season" bean. It's best to grow a product that fits in the zone you live in to optimize yield potential. For example it wouldn't make sense for me to plant a 0.1 or a 3.0 because neither is "proper" for my area. We've found that the 1323XF and 1555XF beans from Golden Harvest have been rockstars for us so we plant 1.3-1.5 RM beans.

Correct. If you can plant a 3.0 bean you really should. If you are in an area where you can plant a 3.0 bean but plant a 0.1 they'll definitely still grow but likely won't yield much better than they will quite a ways North and West of me. They'll mature a lot earlier than the 3.0's so there may be a place for them as a double crop bean after wheat or something that is harvested early.
Thanks for explaining that. Makes sense now.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I assume that is with trucks and placed in bunkers.
The in-laws run 22’ Meyer’s silage wagons with open tops so we can drive beside and blow in or they can get pulled behind the chopper for the smaller fields.

The in-laws have two bunkers the corn silage goes in but the other two farms run either 10’ or 12’ ag baggers. The farm that does 10’ bags runs with two baggers to keep up while the farm with 12’ bags can keep up (barely) with one bagger. It’s a fun and fast paced dance !!

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What model baler?? Looks like a new holland. Bales look nice
Hayliner 269. Got it for free because he had the knotters rebuilt twice and wouldn't tie consistently. I welded up a rake and he offered it instead of payment. Ties great once I timed it. It will miss with poly, but not with sisal.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hayliner 269. Got it for free because he had the knotters rebuilt twice and wouldn't tie consistently. I welded up a rake and he offered it instead of payment. Ties great once I timed it. It will miss with poly, but not with sisal.
New holland squares are basically bulletproof. Just gotta know how to work on him

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New holland squares are basically bulletproof. Just gotta know how to work on him
I just parked it back in its spot. It a 270, not a 269. Though I don't know what the difference is. I knew nothing about balers when I got it. So I spent some time online and ordered a manual. Now I know how to work on them. When I couldn't get sisal one year, I tried poly. What an exercise in frustration. Was like waxed string. I got it to tie, but every 10th bale or so the know would slip apart. I now have a couple bales of poly that I started to use, so can't return them. I now have 4 years worth of sisal in my closet.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The in-laws run 22’ Meyer’s silage wagons with open tops so we can drive beside and blow in or they can get pulled behind the chopper for the smaller fields.

The in-laws have two bunkers the corn silage goes in but the other two farms run either 10’ or 12’ ag baggers. The farm that does 10’ bags runs with two baggers to keep up while the farm with 12’ bags can keep up (barely) with one bagger. It’s a fun and fast paced dance !!

Back in the 1980's a neighbor bought a new Silo Press bagger. No one had heard of bagging silage at the time and thought he was crazy. He admits he also wondered about his sanity at the time. Of course he made out well over the years as bagging caught on fast. He went on to do a tremendous amount of custom work over the years.

Back in 1988 we were in a severe drought just like a huge portion of the country. The pastures were burned up and hay was non existent. I was working for my cousin that summer fixing up an old Cargill hog unit. He said get in the truck we need to look at some equipment. We went to a neighbors to look at an old 1 row pull type Deere chopper and a old Deere wagon. I believe the wagon was a 110 or so. Well Richard bought them and we took them home. His plan was to green chop through late summer to keep the cows from starving. It was quite a failure and a workout. The chopper did ok but the wagon was junk. It had a single full width apron chain. It would snap or skip a tooth and then guess what....someone had to manually unload the wagon. The later Deere boxes had two chains that were half the width and were much better. He ended up buying an old Kelly Ryan feeder wagon and using it that year.

The next year he had bought a Fox box at the local consignment auction. The box itself was not bad but the gear was so worn out the thing would whip going down the road behind a tractor. The plan for that Fall was to build a bunker with round bales and fill it. Well after trying to do it himself he realized how much work it was going to be and how long it would take. He broke down and had one of his feed store buddies from Iowa come over and chop. Now these guys were high tech for the times (well for our area at least). They had a 4x4 New Idea Uni with a chopper. Their boxes were fairly new and they could chop fast......remember we had used a 1 row so the Uni was fast compared to that. Dad called me and said get your arse home Richard has Eichelberger's coming to chop and we need packing tractors. I was busy and it took me awhile to get there. I went home got a tractor and headed out. When I got out there, one of my other cousins who was probably 14 at the time, looked white as a ghost. Apparently my Dad had gotten stuck in the silage trying to pack it. No one thought to put duals on. I was not there yet so my little cousin went and got his Dad's 4440 and tried to pull him out. The chain broke and went through the back window of the 4440. That would be enough to make just about any person drop a loaf in their shorts. We went on and finished but it was a wild experience. I think he chopped one more year before his health went away.

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just parked it back in its spot. It a 270, not a 269. Though I don't know what the difference is. I knew nothing about balers when I got it. So I spent some time online and ordered a manual. Now I know how to work on them. When I couldn't get sisal one year, I tried poly. What an exercise in frustration. Was like waxed string. I got it to tie, but every 10th bale or so the know would slip apart. I now have a couple bales of poly that I started to use, so can't return them. I now have 4 years worth of sisal in my closet.
You have to keep adjusting on the knotters till you get it right with poly.thats all I used in the 2 new Hollands I had worked fine once I got it right.

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to keep adjusting on the knotters till you get it right with poly.thats all I used in the 2 new Hollands I had worked fine once I got it right.
I could have got it to work. But I have it perfect on sisal. Never misses a tie. Plus I like picking up bales with sisal better, doesn't cut into my hands as bad. Poly is smaller diameter.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could have got it to work. But I have it perfect on sisal. Never misses a tie. Plus I like picking up bales with sisal better, doesn't cut into my hands as bad. Poly is smaller diameter.
There is super hood poly and *s-word poly also not sure what you had but nothing wrong with sisal. I kinda prefer it. My cousin has to use the blue or his won’t knot. Orange comes apart about like you talked. I will check brand name info if it matters to you. I only round bake but I’ve fiddled with them

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
8:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One corn field.
IMG_20240908_095810.jpg

Another, two rows on each field side just pushed over and three rows left standing.
IMG_20240908_095817.jpg

And two more corn fields, one harvested, the other not.
IMG_20240908_112500_1.jpg

None of them are mine, they are fields I pass by/through on my Sunday walk with the pup.
Many more are not pictured.