The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the first year in the last 5-6 that they have not released the crp for haying in this area.

Grass hay has dropped from $80-$90 bale to around $40-$50.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm leasing these fields too. But they ain't much good unless they are maintained.
Gramps told me once if you were running tight on cash and your ground needed lime. Skip the fertilizer and apply the lime. Lime make you more money than the fertilizer would. He was ahead of his time farming. So I held onto that snippet of info

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gramps told me once if you were running tight on cash and your ground needed lime. Skip the fertilizer and apply the lime. Lime make you more money than the fertilizer would. He was ahead of his time farming. So I held onto that snippet of info
If the ph balance is too far off, fertilizer does really do anything. I just got off the phone with my friend who owns a dump truck. He is gonna bring about 110 tons for 2500.00

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. I know the situation
I do not want anyone to get me wrong the owner is about as nice as you will ever find. I have zero complaints. He was an engineer with Alcoa aluminum up the river. He bought this place down here while he was still working for them just to come shoot on weekends. They offered him the "golden handshake" when he was in his early 50's. He took their money, retired and moved down here. Sadly about 10-12 years ago he woke up one morning to find his wife dead laying next to him in bed. He is in his early 80's now and still going strong. I called him about 6 weeks ago and he was at the city park. He said "hey Bill say hello to my girlfriend". What a guy. Early last December he phoned me and said he wanted to meet up and have a talk. I figured he was going to tell me he was selling the place. To the contrary he was just asking if I could pay an additional $10/acre since our taxes had went up so much. Now granted I had just lost my shorts in 2023 on the corn there but I was relived to hear that was what he wanted. We did discuss selling it but he said the grandson of the family he bought it from had first opportunity to purchase. Sadly this past spring that person died so when it gets sold who knows..

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
By property size.
The lease holder gets fined when the land is rented out.
What I mean is how do the actually, physically collect the fine? Do they come out and arrest you if you do not pay? It is not the same thing but we have ridiculous traffic cams in Iowa and they mail you tickets with all types of threats but they have zero legal ability to do a thing.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the ph balance is too far off, fertilizer does really do anything. I just got off the phone with my friend who owns a dump truck. He is gonna bring about 110 tons for 2500.00
Depending on how far they are coming from that is not bad. I just tried to look at the website for the mine about 25 miles away and it was down. I called them and they are at $3/ton on ag lime. The delivery is all over the place in prices. Some like to charge $250 deliver per tandem. One guy is $160. My brother bought a Kenworth T800 about 8 years ago and put a rock box on it. My son used to run it Saturdays but now he is so tied to his girlfriend he does not. If one of the timber fallers is not busy one day they will haul a few loads. It generally runs around $150 plus material. Illinois is strict on weights so you had better figure 15 ton loads.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
GoldMember
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Each field/property is registered to an owner!
I will get slapped with warnings and fines if the neglected properties are mine.
Once I supply info about the fields lease holder he will get fined instead and most likely be stripped of any government funding for processing those fields.

I pay annual property taxes on all my land, the government knows what land belongs to whom.
Also, Croatia has a government controlled Agency For Transactions, it has the power to seize/freeze Your bank accounts and income if You are in any kind of dept.

Does that kinda make sense?!

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Each field/property is registered to an owner!
I will get slapped with warnings and fines if the neglected properties are mine.
Once I supply info about the fields lease holder he will get fined instead and most likely be stripped of any government funding for processing those fields.

I pay annual property taxes on all my land, the government knows what land belongs to whom.
Also, Croatia has a government controlled Agency For Transactions, it has the power to seize/freeze Your bank accounts and income if You are in any kind of dept.

Does that kinda make sense?!
Well we have a very, very oppressive government here and there are fines that can be assessed and legally collected and there are others that cannot. Of course our land is deeded to the owner but what I am asking is if the owner refuses to pay the fine what are the consequences? As for freezing bank accounts that becomes a very grey area here on a legal standpoint. The property tax issue is a mess. I am imbedded in one now.

Reactions: Lnk

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on how far they are coming from that is not bad. I just tried to look at the website for the mine about 25 miles away and it was down. I called them and they are at $3/ton on ag lime. The delivery is all over the place in prices. Some like to charge $250 deliver per tandem. One guy is $160. My brother bought a Kenworth T800 about 8 years ago and put a rock box on it. My son used to run it Saturdays but now he is so tied to his girlfriend he does not. If one of the timber fallers is not busy one day they will haul a few loads. It generally runs around $150 plus material. Illinois is strict on weights so you had better figure 15 ton loads.
I found a better price on lime from Kentucky that has a higher calcium content. For the same price, he can bring me 150 ton.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a better price on lime from Kentucky that has a higher calcium content. For the same price, he can bring me 150 ton.
That has to be a pretty good haul distance. I know Banner Springs is up near the border but you still must be 35-40 miles south of Kentucky.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With all the downsides of living along the Mississippi the benefit is we still have mines within 25-35 miles Unfortunately our river stone (NOT GRAVEL) is gone. The "not nice word" bought it all up to landscape with.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saturday my son and I were head to a tractor show in Mt. Pleasant Iowa. There were several fields of beans on the Mediapolis blacktop that were totally turned and 100% leaf loss. It was not SDS either. I was surprised to see that. How are things progressing elsewhere.

Note: The location is about 60 miles north of the Missouri border.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saturday my son and I were head to a tractor show in Mt. Pleasant Iowa. There were several fields of beans on the Mediapolis blacktop that were totally turned and 100% leaf loss. It was not SDS either. I was surprised to see that. How are things progressing elsewhere.

Note: The location is about 60 miles north of the Missouri border.
A lot of early season beans have been going in the last few years around here. Some of the early beans yield just as well as full season beans.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of early season beans have been going in the last few years around here. Some of the early beans yield just as well as full season beans.
I am just surprised as the day length has not been right although it is shortening quick.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember back in college there were fields along the west side of Wigwam Hollow Road. This was before they lined it with apartment buildings. The road did not have traditional street lights but there were sporadic mercury vapor security lights along it. It was funny to see a half circle shape of beans still perfectly green under the all lights, surrounded by brown ones.