The Official Farming Thread...

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember back in college there were fields along the west side of Wigwam Hollow Road. This was before they lined it with apartment buildings. The road did not have traditional street lights but there were sporadic mercury vapor security lights along it. It was funny to see a half circle shape of beans still perfectly green under the all lights, surrounded by brown ones.
I was following my cousin around the field cutting soybeans one year and he went through a patch like you’re talking. Got a chuckle watching the green vines come flying out the back of a 1660 case. Asked him how she liked the peas 😂

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_6460.jpegWe runnin. Just needed a little help. White one next to her started other white one started. Last white one has a dead battery and 3 good ones so she should be fine when I pick up a battery for her. Considering the way crops look I do believe trucks won’t be an issue

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20240904_071832.jpg
Cute thing. Too bad I'm pushing all black now when I can. Seeing corn being harvested in the area now, beans still green but hit or miss on size. Rain has been so sporadic that you can draw lines across areas based on plant growth.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They’re easy to get around in. I do prefer the conventional truck to drive though. That one has been a good truck since we’ve owned it
I remember back in the mid-late 80's there was a farmer consignment sale over at the old Dixon fertilizer site. There was a early 70's cabover semi that was a gasser. It brought $300. The neighbor had a 1960's Diamond T cabover that was real sweet. It had a nice grain body on it. It was a single with an air tag. He passed on in about 1987 and my cousin bought it just to stick in the shed. It looked like this but in better condition with a nicer grain body.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are things progressing elsewhere.
Here in Central MN the soybeans are starting to turn. Most of us here will plant between a 0.9 and 1.8. This year I planted mostly 1.5’s and they look stunning so far. Likely going to be yields in the 60+ average area which is great for us !!

Corn is usually between 90-95 for grain and 95-110 for silage. In our test plot the 80 day stuff is fully dented and milk line is most where you’d want to chop while the 114 day stuff is still trying to plump up the kernels.

I’m going to help the in-laws chop corn silage this weekend into next week so I pulled the camper down there yesterday. These crazy buggers go 24hrs a day until they’re done so having a nap spot will be nice.
IMG_1744.jpeg

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Central MN the soybeans are starting to turn. Most of us here will plant between a 0.9 and 1.8. This year I planted mostly 1.5’s and they look stunning so far. Likely going to be yields in the 60+ average area which is great for us !!

Corn is usually between 90-95 for grain and 95-110 for silage. In our test plot the 80 day stuff is fully dented and milk line is most where you’d want to chop while the 114 day stuff is still trying to plump up the kernels.

I’m going to help the in-laws chop corn silage this weekend into next week so I pulled the camper down there yesterday. These crazy buggers go 24hrs a day until they’re done so having a nap spot will be nice.
View attachment 432177
How many acres they chop?

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 432177
What do you mean by a 1.5? You talking like group 1.5?

I plant group 4-5 I didn’t know there was .9 or even 1.5s

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I am thunking correctly my brothers are 2.2 or 2.4, something along those lines, I think his others are 3.6-3.8’s.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I am thunking correctly my brothers are 2.2 or 2.4, something along those lines, I think his others are 3.6-3.8’s.
Here they generally run from a low of 2.5 to 3.8 possibly low 4. A single crop planted on time is generally around 3.6-3.8. The drowned out areas get the early ones.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 4.8 I like a lot and a 4.2 I like equally. I do try some others regularly but those two are mainly what I grow. One is pioneer (the 4.2) the other is dyna-gro

Reactions: Lnk