Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
12:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you sitting with your hay ? Do you have plenty ?
Still have some from last year so that is being fed first. We should have plenty and only did one cutting this year. If it becomes an issue I will move a few to my parents and let them eat on the hay fields for a while to help make things go farther.

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
1:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our fields are pretty much fughed. Got so dry it killed back everything good....then it rained just enough to give the nasty crap a boost. Now its dry as a dust bowl again. We do have ragweed and sage grass though.
How low did you make the previous cutting? I left mine about 5" and it came back strong. Unless we got more rain than you did. I don't worry about weeds as goats pick through stuff better than cattle. Plus, they like weeds.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How low did you make the previous cutting? I left mine about 5" and it came back strong. Unless we got more rain than you did. I don't worry about weeds as goats pick through stuff better than cattle. Plus, they like weeds.
About 3" is where my disc mower leaves it.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our fields are pretty much fughed. Got so dry it killed back everything good....then it rained just enough to give the nasty crap a boost. Now its dry as a dust bowl again. We do have ragweed and sage grass though.
Same here. Pretty much word for word. I don’t know what half the *s-word I baled today was. Have to see what comes up now. Might try to spray and overseed

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About 3" is where my disc mower leaves it.
I tilt mine back and as it cuts, it flattens the remaining forward and gets missed by the blade tilted down in the back. Springs back up to around 5". Try it, just make the toplink a little longer.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All around me ragweed too.
No good for anything and illegal to allow it grow.
Thankfully I don't seem to be allergic to it.

So do they actually police it? If so how and what is the outcome?

Here In Illinois by state law we are supposed to have a person designated as the weed control commissioner. I am not sure our county still does. I believe at one time my wife's uncle was our county's commissioner. It was a damn joke because his pastures were totally overtaken by thistle.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tilt mine back and as it cuts, it flattens the remaining forward and gets missed by the blade tilted down in the back. Springs back up to around 5". Try it, just make the toplink a little longer.
Wears out the rear of the skid plates too much for my liking.

Lnk

Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wears out the rear of the skid plates too much for my liking.
True, I guess you have to make choices. I will probably never wear out mine with as little as I cut. Less than 10 acres. I will keep an eye on it and if it looks like too much, I will weld sacrificial plates to the bottom.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So do they actually police it? If so how and what is the outcome?

Here In Illinois by state law we are supposed to have a person designated as the weed control commissioner. I am not sure our county still does. I believe at one time my wife's uncle was our county's commissioner. It was a damn joke because his pastures were totally overtaken by thistle.
Uncontrolled growth of ambrosia/ragweed gets reported to authorities by civilians for the most part.
But it also gets detected through plane and drone surveillance as well as inspections of fields that are eligible for financial aid.

To my understanding it warrants a moderate to hefty fine depending on the size of the neglected property/land.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember when we went from sickle cut to disc............wow! The speed was nice but I also remembered how many heads my brother snapped of the JF 3 pt machine.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uncontrolled growth of ambrosia/ragweed gets reported to authorities by civilians for the most part.
But it also gets detected through plane and drone surveillance as well as inspections of fields that are eligible for financial aid.

To my understanding it warrants a moderate to hefty fine depending on the size of the neglected property/land.
How do they assess the fine especially on rented land?

Reactions: Lnk

greystone mountain man

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here👍

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We baled a field this evening that made 41 5x5 round bales and 300 square bales in the spring.today it made 14 round bales 👎
I got about 1/4 of what I’d say average is across the boards on all my little hay patches. They were all fertilized and cared for to my best. I have extra hay. But I’m damn glad I do

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna bush hog my hayfields and put lime on em heavy.
I have a place that needs a ton well that is an expression really a chit ton of lime that I have rented for about 37 years now and I just know as soon as I do it will be sold.