greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry about your neighbor and congrats on your son’s acquisitions. I’d like a 1066 one day, a family friend of ours was having an auction years ago and I was talking to her after she was locked into the auction, (we only talk to her maybe every other year), and I mentioned the IH 1066 turbo, she said that if she would’ve known I wanted it she would’ve sold it to me for $2K cuz that’s all she thought it was worth, even tho I was only 14, I DID have 2 grand in cash beleive it or not guys, the thing ran/drove as it should, sold for just over $4K, that’s a pretty big missed chance on my part, but the auction happened without warning cuz her boyfriend pressured her to get out of farming so I guess whatever.
Keep looking you will find another one you can afford around here the 66 and 86 series internationals are 10 to 20 thousand

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry about your neighbor and congrats on your son’s acquisitions. I’d like a 1066 one day, a family friend of ours was having an auction years ago and I was talking to her after she was locked into the auction, (we only talk to her maybe every other year), and I mentioned the IH 1066 turbo, she said that if she would’ve known I wanted it she would’ve sold it to me for $2K cuz that’s all she thought it was worth, even tho I was only 14, I DID have 2 grand in cash beleive it or not guys, the thing ran/drove as it should, sold for just over $4K, that’s a pretty big missed chance on my part, but the auction happened without warning cuz her boyfriend pressured her to get out of farming so I guess whatever.

If it only brought $4000 something was definitely flubbed up somewhere.

Reactions: Lnk

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally getting a little rain had 2/10s a day for 3 days.the so called weather man says we are gonna get rain all this week and maybe 2 inches wednesday.i don't know about the hay, beans and corn but the weeds might start growing again 😁

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's funny how a farmer spends countless hours getting the land ready, from plowing to planting. He spends $1000's of dollars on fuel, equipment, and repair bills. He spends many hours praying for rain or sunshine instead of sleeping. He sweats like no other job will make you. He works like most people wouldn't.
He gets yelled at and cussed out by people who get caught behind the tractor traveling down the road, and he spends many times of the day wondering if it's worth it! The deer, coyotes, hogs, coons, gophers, grasshoppers are just a few pests to contnd with!! He does all of this for what??? Ask yourself, "Why would he do that?"
The answers are all around you. The plate of food sitting in front of you, the clothes on your back, the shoes on your feet, and the last answer is the one that puzzles most people. It's the dust, love for agriculture, and the satisfaction of knowing he has done his part at the end of the day! I'd like to thank all the farmers out there who help make the world go round!
God bless our farmers!

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hauled hay almost all day at work today with the RAM 2500 and RAM 5500

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Munching what turned out to be 95bu hybrid rye. Can’t complain about that. Well no complaints until the combine started on fire. No pics of that but we got it out before any damage was caused. The idler pull bearings that pull the main belt tight grenaded themselves and send hot pieces everywhere into the straw piles in and under the combine. A couple fire extinguishers and a garden hose and it was out.
IMG_1785.jpeg

We had a neighbor come with his 9500 to finish up and after about an hour some more noises started coming from the feeder house so we investigated and the upper limit blocks were blown out and the drum/chain was smacking the top of feeder house when the big slugs came through.
IMG_1796.jpeg

Some 1/4” plate and some pan head bolts inside made for a great repair. Should outlast the machine.
IMG_1800.jpeg

Moving on !! Time to bale !!
IMG_1802.jpeg

72 4x6’ bales off of just shy of 12 acres in this field. Bale weight averaged 910lbs so 2.75 ton/acre. Bonkers really. We made 96 4x6 bales, 50 4x5 bales and 1360 small squares off of 37 acres. All going to the guy that owns the 9500.
IMG_1808.jpeg

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Munching what turned out to be 95bu hybrid rye. Can’t complain about that. Well no complaints until the combine started on fire. No pics of that but we got it out before any damage was caused. The idler pull bearings that pull the main belt tight grenaded themselves and send hot pieces everywhere into the straw piles in and under the combine. A couple fire extinguishers and a garden hose and it was out.
View attachment 427718

We had a neighbor come with his 9500 to finish up and after about an hour some more noises started coming from the feeder house so we investigated and the upper limit blocks were blown out and the drum/chain was smacking the top of feeder house when the big slugs came through.
View attachment 427719

Some 1/4” plate and some pan head bolts inside made for a great repair. Should outlast the machine.
View attachment 427722

View attachment 427723

72 4x6’ bales off of just shy of 12 acres in this field. Bale weight averaged 910lbs so 2.75 ton/acre. Bonkers really. We made 96 4x6 bales, 50 4x5 bales and 1360 small squares off of 37 acres. All going to the guy that owns the 9500.
View attachment 427724
Glad you got it put out,a guy up the road from me had one burn 2 years ago and we had a tractor burn last fall.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you got it put out,a guy up the road from me had one burn 2 years ago and we had a tractor burn last fall.
We have three 10lb fire extinguishers on the combine and we used two of them. We were right next to Mom and Dads house so I ran up there and grabbed the hose as well to hit the rest of it once the main stuff was put out. Not fun.

I smelled something odd while baling as well and promptly got out and blew the baler off and checked it over. Greased it up and oiled the chains and felt ever bearing and everything that moves. I smelled it again after a little bit and went out to check things over and found nothing. The third time I smelled it I said screw it, let it burn and it turns out it was a stupid piece of plastic under the tractor hood that had cracked and gotten closer to the exhaust system than normal and when the tractor was being worked it started to get soggy and melt and was touching the muffler. Dumb. At least I found it though.

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have three 10lb fire extinguishers on the combine and we used two of them. We were right next to Mom and Dads house so I ran up there and grabbed the hose as well to hit the rest of it once the main stuff was put out. Not fun.

I smelled something odd while baling as well and promptly got out and blew the baler off and checked it over. Greased it up and oiled the chains and felt ever bearing and everything that moves. I smelled it again after a little bit and went out to check things over and found nothing. The third time I smelled it I said screw it, let it burn and it turns out it was a stupid piece of plastic under the tractor hood that had cracked and gotten closer to the exhaust system than normal and when the tractor was being worked it started to get soggy and melt and was touching the muffler. Dumb. At least I found it though.
About 25 yrs ago I was baling on a steep hill and the battery come loose some how and slid back sparked and caught the hay dust on fire we didn't have a fire extinguisher on any thing then.i drove it in a pond lol.went that evening and got extinguishers to put on everything.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 427718

View attachment 427719

View attachment 427722

View attachment 427723

View attachment 427724
On those 9500. Switching the drum to corn position is what tears them up. I left mine locked down at all times

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Years ago we bought what was probably one of the last Massey 510 combines ever built. We were told it was a 1979 model but the internet says they were last built in 1971 so something is amiss there. We were technically the third owner but in reality just the second. It was bought new by a guy across the river in Iowa. He ran it on a small farm and then upgraded. My cousin and his brother rented an additional 900 acres in 1989. They had modern equipment but liked playing with old equipment. Donny bought the 510 from the original owner. He quickly found out how slow the 510 was running next to his brother in a 7720. They parked in in the shed and we bought it in 1992. It had 1410 hours on it.

We ran it through the 1990's. In about 1997 Dad was picking corn over on a piece south of the highway. I was working and he was alone. I apparently caught on fire so he naturally put it out. I got home from work and said "what the hell did you put it out for" He looked at me and started cussing. I said "Why the hell didn't you just drive it over on the bean ground and let the beech burn. Then turn it in on insurance". He was confused. The insurance would have paid out more than what the machine was worth. We ran it a few more years then upgraded to a Case-IH and it sat in the shed. I finally sold it around 2002 for a whopping $900. That included the corn head, bean platform, head mover, spare parts and tons of filters. I even had to deliver it.

Moral of the story Dad RIP but ya shoulda let the girl burn.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On those 9500. Switching the drum to corn position is what tears them up. I left mine locked down at all times
From the way the stickers read you are supposed to have the blocks down for small grains and up for corn. Having the blocks up just keeps roller farther from the bottom of the feeder house and from what I can see shouldn’t have an effect on the top blocks. It was the top blocks that were blown out on this 9500. I’m sure not a green combine guy but I spent a bit of time with it the other day fixing it and don’t know how keeping them down all the time would keep the top blocks from having issues. Just looking for insight, not trying to start a fight.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the way the stickers read you are supposed to have the blocks down for small grains and up for corn. Having the blocks up just keeps roller farther from the bottom of the feeder house and from what I can see shouldn’t have an effect on the top blocks. It was the top blocks that were blown out on this 9500. I’m sure not a green combine guy but I spent a bit of time with it the other day fixing it and don’t know how keeping them down all the time would keep the top blocks from having issues. Just looking for insight, not trying to start a fight.
When you put them in the corn position. The barrel is designed to raise up. What happened to me is that allowed the barrel to basically beat up and down. Basically beat itself to death mine was slapping up into the top blocks. I locked mine down in the grain position after a tech told me that was the solution. I never had any problems after that. Even irrigated corn would feed properly. I’ve got a 9560 now and I keep it down too.