The Official Farming Thread...

Firewood Hoarder

Just a firewood hack
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
9:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My wife had that problem last winter.i don't know what she did but not had the problem since.i will ask her this evening.i know we didn't process any of them because I would have done it lol she doesn't have the heart for it

I had 2 hens last year that started doing it, and they both ended up as soup. Hated to do it as they were beautiful birds (Silver-laced Wyandottes) but they had to go. I also have some ceramic eggs out there as well as golf balls, to act as unbreakable decoys.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife grew up in a family that would process chickens. It a was then, and still is today, the natural way of life. Harvesting day was a family gathering there. They would harvest hundreds at a time. All family members had jobs to do. She of course wanted nothing to do with the initial dispatching but after that she had no issues. When we started raising chickens it was the same here. Her and her family would do the processing but I had to do the primary harvesting. I remember one classic Fall. We had a small group to do. Normally we did them on Saturdays but this Fall most folks were busy on Saturdays especially me as I had farm auctions to go to. I suggested a Thursday morning. My wife looked at me funny and asked if I was planning on taking off work that Thursday. I told her no and that I did not have to go in until noon because it was parent-teacher conferences and we were working Noon-8PM. She was fine with it.

I thought it was funny in the afternoon I am talking with the parents of my shop students about safety in the shop and a few hours earlier I was spattered in blood from detaching heads from chickens. Of course I had showered but a couple of my fellow teachers were like me and joked around. Every once in awhile while I was meeting with a parent one would walk by and make a motion to their face then say "Mr. G you missed a spot"

Good guys and gals.

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife grew up in a family that would process chickens. It a was then, and still is today, the natural way of life. Harvesting day was a family gathering there. They would harvest hundreds at a time. All family members had jobs to do. She of course wanted nothing to do with the initial dispatching but after that she had no issues. When we started raising chickens it was the same here. Her and her family would do the processing but I had to do the primary harvesting. I remember one classic Fall. We had a small group to do. Normally we did them on Saturdays but this Fall most folks were busy on Saturdays especially me as I had farm auctions to go to. I suggested a Thursday morning. My wife looked at me funny and asked if I was planning on taking off work that Thursday. I told her no and that I did not have to go in until noon because it was parent-teacher conferences and we were working Noon-8PM. She was fine with it.

I thought it was funny in the afternoon I am talking with the parents of my shop students about safety in the shop and a few hours earlier I was spattered in blood from detaching heads from chickens. Of course I had showered but a couple of my fellow teachers were like me and joked around. Every once in awhile while I was meeting with a parent one would walk by and make a motion to their face then say "Mr. G you missed a spot"

Good guys and gals.
That's the way it is here too.i do the first part she does the rest lol

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah and just half as messy lol
I was right there for the birth of all three of our sons and yes as we all know it is a bit messy. When the first were birthed they placed them directly on Mommy's belly. When our third son was born the doctor handed him directly to me and said.............here Daddy it's #3............ I was a bit shocked but dammit that is a memory I will never forget!!!!

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was right there for the birth of all three of our sons and yes as we all know it is a bit messy. When the first were birthed they placed them directly on Mommy's belly. When our third son was born the doctor handed him directly to me and said.............here Daddy it's #3............ I was a bit shocked but dammit that is a memory I will never forget!!!!
I love kids to death but don't have any and don't want any lol

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love all my sons and would have loved to keep going but the other party was no longer willing.
I am still willing and fully loaded though:)
Go down to Texas and pick one out coming across the border lol you can get all kinds of hand outs then by the jack🐴 in d.c. then lol

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go down to Texas and pick one out coming across the border lol you can get all kinds of hand outs then by the jack🐴 in d.c. then lol
I would love to!!!
I will assure you we would raise them right. They would embrace hard work, American values, and American agriculture. I do not know what type of agriculture dominated east Tennessee years ago but here this was tomato country. My family employed hard working migrants from Texas from around 1920 until 1985. They worked hard, were treated well and they were paid well. Many went on to establish lives and families here. One who married my cousin went on to establish a multi-million dollar highway construction company.

I know you have been on this great site a short time but if you have not realized it we try to stay away from politics.

With that being said just to let you know my family has been on this land since at least 1850.

This is my farm and it is similar to many of those owned by those that you referenced.

1721450971574.png

1721451115584.jpeg

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a neighbor pass away & he was a good friend of my dads, his family is selling his equipment & other stuff.

My son bought his 4000 JD for peanuts ($3400). He said it has a lot of blow by but an engine kit is a $1500. I think he got a great deal.

I think my brother is going to by his 4320 for scrap price, it needs a motor rebuild. It will be another great deal.

He has a 1066 with a cab that my brother may buy as well.

greystone mountain man

Super OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a neighbor pass away & he was a good friend of my dads, his family is selling his equipment & other stuff.

My son bought his 4000 JD for peanuts ($3400). He said it has a lot of blow by but an engine kit is a $1500. I think he got a great deal.

I think my brother is going to by his 4320 for scrap price, it needs a motor rebuild. It will be another great deal.

Well you all got the deals of the day 👍

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn good deals. The 4000 is a unique tractor. I would love a 4320 and/or 1066. Back in about 1982 a neighbor was going under dairy farming. At the auction they sold his equipment cheap. I cannot remember if it was a 4320, 4520 or 4620 my cousin bought there. He passed away a few years ago and as far as I know his son still has it. He also bought a 4320 or it's derivative from another neighbor that put a Detroit V-6 in it. Once again I believe he still has it.

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
7:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Sorry about your neighbor and congrats on your son’s acquisitions. I’d like a 1066 one day, a family friend of ours was having an auction years ago and I was talking to her after she was locked into the auction, (we only talk to her maybe every other year), and I mentioned the IH 1066 turbo, she said that if she would’ve known I wanted it she would’ve sold it to me for $2K cuz that’s all she thought it was worth, even tho I was only 14, I DID have 2 grand in cash beleive it or not guys, the thing ran/drove as it should, sold for just over $4K, that’s a pretty big missed chance on my part, but the auction happened without warning cuz her boyfriend pressured her to get out of farming so I guess whatever.

Reactions: Lnk