Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
8:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, it is not going well though. I think I made a big mistake.
Why do you say that? Organic matter is almost always beneficial.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why do you say that? Organic matter is almost always beneficial.
Well the "shreds" will just cover the ground and prevent grass grow. Of course broadleaves and woody plants will come right back lickety split.

jblnut

Flabs of Stihl
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You wouldn’t know it by looking at it but that’s 90bu oats right there. I must have had the fan a bit high and blew out all the light fluff because it was around 41lb test weight. Never had oats that heavy before. Oops but okay !!
IMG_1921.jpeg

Got done and parked it by the road for all to see 😂
IMG_1924.jpeg

Loaded up a few of the last of the rye bales from a few weeks ago. It’s rained almost 6” since I baled it and have been unable to retrieve them until today. Even having a while to dry out I made some serious ruts.
IMG_1947.jpeg

Little Miss did the driving between bales whilst in the field and did quite well !
IMG_1948.jpeg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You wouldn’t know it by looking at it but that’s 90bu oats right there. I must have had the fan a bit high and blew out all the light fluff because it was around 41lb test weight. Never had oats that heavy before. Oops but okay !!
View attachment 429919

Got done and parked it by the road for all to see 😂
View attachment 429920

Loaded up a few of the last of the rye bales from a few weeks ago. It’s rained almost 6” since I baled it and have been unable to retrieve them until today. Even having a while to dry out I made some serious ruts.
View attachment 429921

Little Miss did the driving between bales whilst in the field and did quite well !
View attachment 429922
I have to say I have never quite understood that type of header.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to say I have never quite understood that type of header.
There are a couple folks around here that have those & use them for rye & occasionally oats but I really noticed them up in the Dakotas for flax & other stuff.

The flax was windrowed & layed for several days before they ran it thru the combine. I think you lose less seed using the pickup headers & get a more evenly cured/mature crop.

In the North Dakota they also (spray ) desiccate the field peas & other food beans to get an even maturation of the entire field.

My time in the oil patch was not only educational as far as oil production but in agriculture as well.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think after mowing it, raking it, and the harvest you would loose a lot of grain.

Reactions: Lnk

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would think after mowing it, raking it, and the harvest you would loose a lot of grain.

They just windrow, no raking, usually windrowing with 20’ -25’draper heads from what I could see. They windrowed before it was ripe so I believe the philosophy is crop loss is at a minimum.

I would think it is like the difference between using an auger type grain table versus using a Draper head, I have heard grain savings of anywhere from 3-7bu. acre with diapers versus auger type headers on soybeans.

I imagine that @jblnut can give some insight.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It obviously is profitable but it just seems odd to me. Of course I am an odd ball. Some 35-40 years ago I was trying to convince Dad to plant wheat followed by beans. He had a lot of swear words on how to say I was wrong. Of course the folks in the south had done it but everyone thought we were too far north Yesterday I looked at my double crop wheat/beans and yes I admit they probably will not make it but dammit I will not give up.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It obviously is profitable but it just seems odd to me. Of course I am an odd ball. Some 35-40 years ago I was trying to convince Dad to plant wheat followed by beans. He had a lot of swear words on how to say I was wrong. Of course the folks in the south had done it but everyone thought we were too far north Yesterday I looked at my double crop wheat/beans and yes I admit they probably will not make it but dammit I will not give up.
Double cropping this far north is a crap shoot, sometimes it works great other years, not so much.