Country flag

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you are somewhat in the Knoxville area. I just wondered if you ever hunted with Cas Walker. Lots of shall we say "differing" opinions on him. My Grandpa bought many dogs from him and had great respect for him but the last was a real dud. Last night I watched a short bit of a video on him and there is about a two minute segment that explains why the last dog from him might have been a dud. That dog was the only dog in my life that I ever shot. Now I did not shoot him because he was a dud. He lived a long life here but sadly got to be so ill it was time.
Cas Walker and my grandfather were friends. They traded dogs, ran dogs, and hunted many years together.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t “farm farm”, but we do plant 150-200 acres of row crops for wildlife each year. The rain has us way behind where we like to be here in east TN. My son is a volunteer for us and I turned him loose this year planting corn and beans. He wanted to use “his” tractor instead of the cab tractor. I don’t blame him, with no monitor and these old planters, I prefer an open station so I can hear what’s going on. These old JD7000 planters work great for what we do. This isn’t your typical corn ground, but we manage! Also, the views are pretty nice at times as well.
IMG_0881.jpegIMG_0880.jpeg

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta love that 86 series. If the transmissions weren’t so horrid I bet IH would still be making tractors. Just about everything else about them is great. Sure do love my 886 !!
I never had an IH newer than a M. Well there is a 560 diesel down by the barn that is my sons. Someone needs to buy that thing.

Years ago in the early spring we took our Case 970 in for an engine rebuild. They brought it out and I started to disc. The engine got extremely hot. They came back out and picked it up. The owner of the dealership ole Bill Cline, was on the phone with dad a few days later. He said it was sitting there running fine. A couple minutes later as they are talking it slows down and locks up. They tore it down and discovered whoever did the reassembly got the main caps mixed up which took out the crank. They were busy with work and we needed a tractor so they put it on the back burner and brought us out a 5288. I know they thought we would buy it. What a sweet tractor that 5288 was. It was quite, powerful, good tranny. I wanted to buy a 5488FWA but that never happened.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cas Walker and my grandfather were friends. They traded dogs, ran dogs, and hunted many years together.
My grandfather bought many hounds from him. After the last one was a real dud Dad called him up and they had a "discussion" . We were supposed to bring the dog back to Knoxville and hunt with them. We never did as that was a helluva long drive in an old truck with a hound.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandfather bought many hounds from him. After the last one was a real dud Dad called him up and they had a "discussion" . We were supposed to bring the dog back to Knoxville and hunt with them. We never did as that was a helluva long drive in an old truck with a hound.
Probably one of my grandfather’s culls, lol. He was something else from what I hear. As long as it wasn’t an old English dog or Plott, it wasn’t his, lol.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably one of my grandfather’s culls, lol. He was something else from what I hear. As long as it wasn’t an old English dog or Plott, it wasn’t his, lol.
The last two in 1981 and 1983 were Walkers. The ones in the 1970's were Walkers, Redbones, and a Mountain Cur

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had an IH newer than a M. Well there is a 560 diesel down by the barn that is my sons. Someone needs to buy that thing.

Years ago in the early spring we took our Case 970 in for an engine rebuild. They brought it out and I started to disc. The engine got extremely hot. They came back out and picked it up. The owner of the dealership ole Bill Cline, was on the phone with dad a few days later. He said it was sitting there running fine. A couple minutes later as they are talking it slows down and locks up. They tore it down and discovered whoever did the reassembly got the main caps mixed up which took out the crank. They were busy with work and we needed a tractor so they put it on the back burner and brought us out a 5288. I know they thought we would buy it. What a sweet tractor that 5288 was. It was quite, powerful, good tranny. I wanted to buy a 5488FWA but that never happened.
Sold a 5288 it went to PA guy down the road bought it. It lives next door again now. Funny story.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I liked the 5288 pulling the 9 shank chisel. I just kept shifting up
Was a good machine. Had 11-12000 hours when it left. Went to restoration tractor sales in pa they rebuilt engine. Went over it. Sold it. Now she’s down the street. Think it’s sorta for sale again. Just can’t see buying it but also would t mind having it back.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was a good machine. Had 11-12000 hours when it left. Went to restoration tractor sales in pa they rebuilt engine. Went over it. Sold it. Now she’s down the street. Think it’s sorta for sale again. Just can’t see buying it but also would t mind having it back.
I took the 5288 out on the 9 shank and "speed plowed"

Not as bad as these goofy guys though.
I also have a Ford 9700 but it sure does not run like these.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 855 replaced an old Deere 500. Yes, the 855 was a chain baler. It was a nightmare to many but we had a love-hate relationship between us. The auto tie was a joke. I tied in manual mode and ran through a ton of extra twine but I could at least make a decent bale that way. I have a single bale wrapper that I would then wrap the bales in white silage wrap. It was all very labor intensive but damn it led to good hay. I replaced it with a 535 Deere because I wanted net warp. That thing was a PIA. Now when I could get it to wrap it did a real good job. It actually made better bales than my brothers 566.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 855 replaced an old Deere 500. Yes, the 855 was a chain baler. It was a nightmare to many but we had a love-hate relationship between us. The auto tie was a joke. I tied in manual mode and ran through a ton of extra twine but I could at least make a decent bale that way. I have a single bale wrapper that I would then wrap the bales in white silage wrap. It was all very labor intensive but damn it led to good hay. I replaced it with a 535 Deere because I wanted net warp. That thing was a PIA. Now when I could get it to wrap it did a real good job. It actually made better bales than my brothers 566.
I have to run my baler in manual too. It has twine and net but never used twine. I could never Get her to auto do any of it correctly so I just time it when it grabs the net. Does a good job and makes a nice bale. Just got done with it today. Gonna cut some more when weather is clear. Not sure what I’ll do when she gets worn out as I only have a dozen beef cows now. Hard to justify a baler for just that but I keep up with my stuff so hopefully she runs a long while

jblnut

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All kinds of things today !! Someone dropped a couple stacks of pallets off that little Miss stuck in the shed for me. No great pics but I got the sprayer ready finally to go slay some weeds. Also troubleshot some strange issues with the air dryer on the Freightliner. Not sure what’s going on but it sounds like it’s in a continual purge for about 10sec and then it quits. It isn’t worse and isn’t getting better so I dunno 🤷
IMG_1420.jpeg