The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother really likes his bale processor. It’s basically a cross between an unroller & a grinder. I helped him & Dad sort & haul off the calves today. We are going to run 106 cows thru tomorrow: preg check, vaccinate & replace some tags. It’s going to be a bit brisk in the morning, guessers are saying around 15*.

D451B4E4-23F7-4146-A7F5-554F153AE286.jpeg 83C21490-5DD2-4EBB-9088-49C1FB1D8126.jpeg F3D7DC30-8DA9-46D5-8D30-14E7B865A744.jpeg 29DF286C-63EC-46FB-BC6A-46B4680F0F94.jpeg

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rough day for my dad & brother with the cows. Ran 106 thru & hauled off 37, 35 confirmed open, one fruitcake & one lame one went straight on the trailer without testing.

Bulls were all tested & checked out good. Several of the opens were bought bred last year & just didn’t breed back. They kept 11 of the youngest ones & shipped everything else to the sale bale.

I suppose hot dry weather affected it somewhat but not the same across all herds. The herd with high dollar, high powered angus bulls in it was the largest bunch of opens, the herd with the Herefords was 100%.

The Herefords just eat & breed, the angus like to fight more & don’t seem to like to breed in hot weather. I have seen it multiple times around here Herefords out there doing their thing & the angus standing around pawing the ground, fighting & injuring themselves.

Plus angus cows & calves are the kickingest a-holes I have ever been around.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rough day for my dad & brother with the cows. Ran 106 thru & hauled off 37, 35 confirmed open, one fruitcake & one lame one went straight on the trailer without testing.

Bulls were all tested & checked out good. Several of the opens were bought bred last year & just didn’t breed back. They kept 11 of the youngest ones & shipped everything else to the sale bale.

I suppose hot dry weather affected it somewhat but not the same across all herds. The herd with high dollar, high powered angus bulls in it was the largest bunch of opens, the herd with the Herefords was 100%.

The Herefords just eat & breed, the angus like to fight more & don’t seem to like to breed in hot weather. I have seen it multiple times around here Herefords out there doing their thing & the angus standing around pawing the ground, fighting & injuring themselves.

I always did like Herefords better. Money got better for angus for the angus name. I personally still believe Hereford to be the better breed. I cross them

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We will probably fire up again tomorrow, a few have started again today. There was still a bit of snow on the leaves this morning. We may get a good day tomorrow but the temps are supposed to start rising & we in the 40’s Sunday into next week so it will get pretty sloppy as the snow melts off onto the already damp ground underneath.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

We have a Hereford bull that we run with Angus cows....and a few crossed with Hereford. He just does his thing. Never gets excited either.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don't try limousine cattle than. Talk about a-wholes. Wildest damn cows, jumped a gate into a pickup and out the pickup to avoid the trailer. No thanks.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't try limousine cattle than. Talk about a-wholes. Wildest damn cows, jumped a gate into a pickup and out the pickup to avoid the trailer. No thanks.
Dad and I are in the process of doing some long over due culling because of lack of hay in these parts. Used a couple limousine bull crosses for a while and now I am having to cull for temperament as well. One we have been trying to get rid of for a while got caught and while trying to get loaded I took a ride of about 20 to 30 feet. Got lucky I was able to stay on top of her and rolled off to the side. Bit sore and hobbling with left heel/ankle hurting but could have been much worse. I figured she was going to pin me to the ground and do some grinding. Think dad is still bit worried yet. She is long gone and someone else's problem now.