The Official Farming Thread...

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 358407 End of next week it is not supposed to get above freezing so I am glad this is in. This is the one for the main field. I have another in the corral so now I can close it up when necessary and not have to worry about water. As soon as it gets above freezing today I will do some back filling and cleaning up. Already filled and ready for use. I'll check levels as soon as the cows use it some today.
Looks good, those will hopefully make life easier for you.

As far as above freezing next week, we will be hovering around 0* during the daytime starting Thursday.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20221226_111055.jpg IMG_20221226_121628.jpg IMG_20221226_121707.jpg
Strange how we can get attached to some of these things. You try to keep it as a business but certain ones you can't get rid of. One off to herself is mainly blind, aka blind baby. Some peripheral vision I believe but not much. Not worth selling and can't see keeping it just to have around so it will be hamburger meat after I drop it off this Friday morning. On the other hand "eyebrows" was born on a cold snowy day and spent her first night in my parents garage to keep her from freezing and dying. She will live out her days on my place now.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 359317 View attachment 359318 View attachment 359319
Strange how we can get attached to some of these things. You try to keep it as a business but certain ones you can't get rid of. One off to herself is mainly blind, aka blind baby. Some peripheral vision I believe but not much. Not worth selling and can't see keeping it just to have around so it will be hamburger meat after I drop it off this Friday morning. On the other hand "eyebrows" was born on a cold snowy day and spent her first night in my parents garage to keep her from freezing and dying. She will live out her days on my place now.
I like eyebrows. I’ve had a couple ive kept around too. “Ol red” completely red Hereford angus cross lived over 20 years. Only cow I ever had did in her sleep.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got that thing when I was 13 Old man said I could sell it or raise it to get a calf every year. He gave me a better looking animal but at 13 the pure red looking thing looked cooler to me. Anyhow old girl raised twins 2-3 times and took at least one or two other calves that lost their mother. Had 3 calves sucking her one year. Just kept her. Figured she didn’t eat too much and I liked looking at her. I was kinda sad when that one went. But still the only one I seen go in their sleep all curled up proper. Kinda neat story I think.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got that thing when I was 13 Old man said I could sell it or raise it to get a calf every year. He gave me a better looking animal but at 13 the pure red looking thing looked cooler to me. Anyhow old girl raised twins 2-3 times and took at least one or two other calves that lost their mother. Had 3 calves sucking her one year. Just kept her. Figured she didn’t eat too much and I liked looking at her. I was kinda sad when that one went. But still the only one I seen go in their sleep all curled up proper. Kinda neat story I think.

Very cool story my friend.

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ol red” completely red Hereford angus cross lived over 20 years. Only cow I ever had did in her sleep.

I used to give my buddy Chase & my late best friends father chit about them combined having more cows eligible to vote than eligible voters in our county. Lots of cows over 18 & several over 20.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to give my buddy Chase & my late best friends father chit about them combined having more cows eligible to vote than eligible voters in our county. Lots of cows over 18 & several over 20.

The older cows know how to take care of a calf usually. That means a lot.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My great grandmother and some of my great Aunt’s
Sitting on a coal car at the coal mine my great grandfather dug. I wish I’d paid more attention when my grandpa talked about digging coal with his dad.
6B15B091-682B-4B56-95C6-F4ED1775BDB3.jpeg

82DC5372-40FB-4DFA-A5DD-1070462B5646.jpeg

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks it was hard goin ditches both sides farmers are getting 8 bucks a yard from the agricultural board for laying hedges for regrowth and leaving some good young trees
Are you creating hedgerows? Would love to make some on my small farm. Seems kinda labor intensive, but great habitat.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My great grandmother and some of my great Aunt’s
Sitting on a coal car at the coal mine my great grandfather dug. I wish I’d paid more attention when my grandpa talked about digging coal with his dad.
View attachment 360153

View attachment 360152

Thanks for sharing those pics! Love to see the past. I have a picture somewhere of my great grandpa around 1925ish sitting on the water tank of their Frick traction engine.