The Official Farming Thread...

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up a market lamb yesterday at the processor..

Seems they’ve gone to a standard $120 for lambs..

Note to self, if lamb is going to stay a somewhat reasonable commodity, make sure they’re 175 -200 lbs before ya send em.
I recently made arrangements with a local hair sheep farmer to get a lamb next spring, in time for Passover. We're going to try and follow the instructions in the Bible as close as we can, and hopefully learn some things along the way.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
11:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok fellers, wobble box blew up again on our NH 472. 4 years ago the nut came off and damaged the shaft where the outer bearing rides. Was able to clean it up and rethread the stub and new bearings/seals. Sunday the outer bearing shattered and the shaft is done. The machines has some other things needed done to it as well. Really thinking heavy on replacing it.

My limiting factor is 45 pto HP. Fil is dead set on a mower conditioner. The 472 is perfect for us as we only do 20 acres a year twice. Our fields are clean and may break a tooth every other year so sickle bars are just fine.

Real question is you guys that just use disc cutters. How does your crop turn out without conditioning? We have a 4 basket Tedder and can usually go from cut to bale in 2 days if temps and sun are right with the 472.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok fellers, wobble box blew up again on our NH 472. 4 years ago the nut came off and damaged the shaft where the outer bearing rides. Was able to clean it up and rethread the stub and new bearings/seals. Sunday the outer bearing shattered and the shaft is done. The machines has some other things needed done to it as well. Really thinking heavy on replacing it.

My limiting factor is 45 pto HP. Fil is dead set on a mower conditioner. The 472 is perfect for us as we only do 20 acres a year twice. Our fields are clean and may break a tooth every other year so sickle bars are just fine.

Real question is you guys that just use disc cutters. How does your crop turn out without conditioning? We have a 4 basket Tedder and can usually go from cut to bale in 2 days if temps and sun are right with the 472.

I have no problem getting grass dry in a couple of days. But clover is a different animal. I cut one day, and if possible leave it laying the second day, and tedder on the third.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Honestly you probably are best to just find another good 472 at auction, and then hang onto the blown up one for parts. How long have they made them now?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly you probably are best to just find another good 472 at auction, and then hang onto the blown up one for parts. How long have they made them now?

That's what we are thinking, hell, it's still current production! Can go buy a brand new one today.

Just seeing what the pros have to say. Now is the time to try something new of there ever was.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no problem getting grass dry in a couple of days. But clover is a different animal. I cut one day, and if possible leave it laying the second day, and tedder on the third.

We have some heavy clover patches of a few acres. It's enough to consider though.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I was shopping for a mower it would be a disc. They’re just easier to deal with in my opinion. That said I’ve got a haybine. It’s been ok. I think the conditioner really comes into play with alfalfa. As far as clover I’ve always had trouble getting it dry. No matter if I crushed the stems or not

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The finger bar cuts the wheat goes up the elevator it ties the sheaf of corn then in a couple of days they will be stacked into four bundles and left for a few weeks to ripen off in the field then they’ll be put in a big stack until winter then they’ll be put through the thrashing machine take the corn out and then they’ll be bundled up again for repairing the straw roof

9EE3D64E-4C87-4971-AF73-87E036514B9D.jpeg

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You definitely won’t have any of the plug ups & such with the disc mower so point rows are a non issue but they suck up the power & thus the diesel. They will do a bit better on downed hay like clover versus the old bar type. The disc mowers are heavy bee-otches
as well. In heavy clover we usually let it lay 3 days then rake but we don’t use/have a tedder.

If you are just mowing what you said & the ground is in good shape I would probably just stick with the old bar mower. I used to mow about 6-1/2 mph with Dads 1066 & 9’ bar mower, those old NH’s are pretty much bullet proof. The only problems were worn out belts & the wobble head going out but those only crapped out after 2000 -3000 acres. I think dads were a 456 & 457 pull types.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My brother & buddy both use 13’ 946 Deere mo-co’s and they are heavy ass things that push the tractors around. My brother uses a 4440 & buddy uses a 7810. You can get flail type or roller type ( with rubber or steel rollers ). Everyone I have talked with says you want the flail type for grass hay & roller type for alfalfa/clover because of the crimping action.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You definitely won’t have any of the plug ups & such with the disc mower so point rows are a non issue but they suck up the power & thus the diesel. They will do a bit better on downed hay like clover versus the old bar type. The disc mowers are heavy bee-otches
as well. In heavy clover we usually let it lay 3 days then rake but we don’t use/have a tedder.

If you are just mowing what you said & the ground is in good shape I would probably just stick with the old bar mower. I used to mow about 6-1/2 mph with Dads 1066 & 9’ bar mower, those old NH’s are pretty much bullet proof. The only problems were worn out belts & the wobble head going out but those only crapped out after 2000 -3000 acres. I think dads were a 456 & 457 pull types.
My brother & buddy both use 13’ 946 Deere mo-co’s and they are heavy ass things that push the tractors around. My brother uses a 4440 & buddy uses a 7810. You can get flail type or roller type ( with rubber or steel rollers ). Everyone I have talked with says you want the flail type for grass hay & roller type for alfalfa/clover because of the crimping action.

Exactly the information I needed! Thank you.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, we managed to tear the hitch off the NH 256 rake tonight. This has been an expensive past month.
Turn to short ? Are those a tri-cycle type? Dad had a Deere tri-cycle & the neighbor had a NH 2 wheeler, when I was a kid I turned too short with both & busted the valve stem off the rear tractor tires of two tractors. My brother turned too short with that NH & rolled it up on top of the rear tire of the 300 Farmall. Dad was suitably pizzed about all 3 incidents.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turn to short ? Are those a tri-cycle type? Dad had a Deere tri-cycle & the neighbor had a NH 2 wheeler, when I was a kid I turned too short with both & busted the valve stem off the rear tractor tires of two tractors. My brother turned too short with that NH & rolled it up on top of the rear tire of the 300 Farmall. Dad was suitably pizzed about all 3 incidents.

Grandpa got it all tangled up by turning too short a few years ago. Bent the hitch up but didn't seem to hurt anything untill today! The rake is fixable with a plate patch on the left frame I think.

Yup no dolly on this one.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My mistake my buddy’s mo-co is a 945

595B40C1-4AA4-4EE1-90D0-D72097F93ED1.jpeg