Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sooo...what grills are you using, cuts of meat, marinades?

I have a traeger pellet bbq. Was lucky enough to be given one, probably would have never ponied up the cash to buy one. Have loved it since the first time I tried it.
Love the light smoke flavor. Favorite cut of meat so far is tri tip.

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a standard weber and smoke what ever Momma gets from ribs to pork butt to salmon to sausages and what ever else, I prefer a dry rub and towards the end about the last hour or so I'll drizzle a little maple syrup every fifteen minutes. And my favorite wood is a mixture of cherry, apple and hickory, my mouth is watering as I type.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a standard weber and smoke what ever Momma gets from ribs to pork butt to salmon to sausages and what ever else, I prefer a dry rub and towards the end about the last hour or so I'll drizzle a little maple syrup every fifteen minutes. And my favorite wood is a mixture of cherry, apple and hickory, my mouth is watering as I type.
Same here...Weber grill.

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Any one use one of them barrel things with a smaller barrel for the fire. Thinking of getting one.

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any one use one of them barrel things with a smaller barrel for the fire. Thinking of getting one.
Had one when I used to entertain a lot,They work great,You can cook a lot of meat at one time.

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG IMG_0224.JPG IMG_0226.JPG

I cook in a homemade barrel smoker. About 100 bucks in materials. Bottom barrel is lined with bricks in a half vault arrangement. Upper barrel in picture three is also half vaulted, and has a roof of bricks under the cooking grates. The gaps between the bricks are tightest over the flue coming into the upper barrel from the lower fire barrel, and get progressively wider as it goes down towards the exit chimney. I used alot of cherry wood that I cut local, and it works good enough I've won my local BBQ event each 4th of July. (ps I just use sweet baby ray's sauce.)

Last edited:

ft. churchill

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use charcoal to get it going, then after I got some coals start putting on the cherry and or hickory chunks. The bricks even out the tempature swings and provide alot of thermal mass. The brick roof under the cooking grate spreads the heat out evenly with no hot spots.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Weber, but also a ugly drum pig cooker. Love smoked meat. We just did quite a bit at Thanksgiving. Butts, brisket and some sausages. I like to marinate tenderloin and wrap it in bacon as well. The results will keep a guy with an appetite going back to the meat-plate again and again.

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 5569 View attachment 5570 View attachment 5571 View attachment 5572

I cook in a homemade barrel smoker. About 100 bucks in materials. Bottom barrel is lined with bricks in a half vault arrangement. Upper barrel in picture three is also half vaulted, and has a roof of bricks under the cooking grates. The gaps between the bricks are tightest over the flue coming into the upper barrel from the lower fire barrel, and get progressively wider as it goes down towards the exit chimney. I used alot of cherry wood that I cut local, and it works good enough I've won my local BBQ event each 4th of July. (ps I just just sweet baby ray's sauce.)
Betcha that would do a great job on mullet.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've heard those big green eggs are awesome.