The Husky 42/42 special/242/246 thread

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
5:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very cool Tor - thanks for the link! About $65cdn plus shipping for the 13" LightandTough
when I bought from him he withdraw the sweedish tax, their tax is 25%.
He wasnt expensive in shipping.

@Tor R Can you tell me what bar mount these 242 series saws are? I am going to have to but a bar or 2 at some point.
K095 bar mount Chris

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
when I bought from him he withdraw the sweedish tax, their tax is 25%.
He wasnt expensive in shipping.

K095 bar mount Chris
Well that makes things pretty easy. Also good that they knocked the tax off for you! I need to sell a few saws before I go making any vanity purchases lol.

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely need one of those bars, I will be ordering for sure....
Hopefully my saw shop actually has some of that chain. Last time I tried to buy Husky Pixel chain the old saw tech just wanted to argue that regular .325 is better because it will stay sharp longer...
Need to get some of that chain for the 15" Husky bar I bought a while back that's on my 246, sold it to me with regular 23rs, but when I actually checked the part number it's a pixel bar.

One of these days I need to dig back into my 242's carb. No matter what I try I can't get it past 14,000 rpm, been through the rest of the saw already and did put in a carb kit, but it may need a date with an ultrasonic cleaner which I don't have yet... Runs excellent otherwise though.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely need one of those bars, I will be ordering for sure....
Hopefully my saw shop actually has some of that chain. Last time I tried to buy Husky Pixel chain the old saw tech just wanted to argue that regular .325 is better because it will stay sharp longer...
I’ve bought Huskies SP33G and Stihls new 23RS Pro, both NK chains, the price on the new Stihl chain is horrible though.
Doesn’t they sell NK chains in Canada?

Got this far must get on and finish the side cover managed too get a new old stock 13” bar

View attachment 225704 View attachment 225705
I got a couple of those 13” bars, I like them better then those new X-force bars.
This reminds me that I gotta check if there is one on my 340, can’t have a nice looking bar on a clamshell saw!
I see you got an orange box from Kramp, does the color match Huskies orange?

82f100swb

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve bought Huskies SP33G and Stihls new 23RS Pro, both NK chains, the price on the new Stihl chain is horrible though.
Doesn’t they sell NK chains in Canada?

I got a couple of those 13” bars, I like them better then those new X-force bars.
This reminds me that I gotta check if there is one on my 340, can’t have a nice looking bar on a clamshell saw!
I see you got an orange box from Kramp, does the color match Huskies orange?
They do, just not sure my dealer actually has any. Went to pick up a bar and chain for a 440 I was putting together to sell the last time I was in. It called for SP33g, but they didn't have any(I honestly don't think they have ever stocked Husky chain, my 365 had a Stihl chain on it on the shelf when I bought it years ago) the parts girl called out the most experienced saw tech they have and he proceeded to argue with me that all .325 was the same. So I took him over to the Husky display and showed him the difference on new saws... He then stated "why would you want that, regular .325 is going to stay sharp longer" at which point I decided arguing wasn't worth my while. He then proceeded to pair up a 23rs chain with what turns out to be a Husky NK bar... LOL

Ended up buying a proper pixel setup for that saw on Amazon and hung the other new setup on my 246.

Last edited:

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thought we should try to make one information thread for different versions of those saws.
Sorry for the messed thread, hope members will find som!E info they need though......

42 Anniversary - year 1988
View attachment 55202

42 Special - year 92
View attachment 55204

42 special - year 97
View attachment 55206

Hi Tor

Was 1989 not the anniversary year for Husqvarna? If so, was your 42 a late production 1988 saw that was sold in 1989 - hence the anniversary decal? I am pretty sure (never positive) that my 242 is a 1989 saw and it has the 300 decal like your 1988 saw.

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I have been doing a little looking around and I'm wondering why you can't just use a 3201 bearing on the pto side. It is 2mm narrower but does that matter? And could this seal be used?
https://www.motioncanada.ca/productDetail.jsp?sku=04424367
Well since I obviously have never had a close look at the pto bearing on one of these, I went out and had a look at a 44 carcass that I have since I think it shares the same pto side bearing. Now I see why you cannot do as I was suggesting above, as the seal goes inside the bearing races and there is no room on the crankshaft for a regular seal.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Tor

Was 1989 not the anniversary year for Husqvarna? If so, was your 42 a late production 1988 saw that was sold in 1989 - hence the anniversary decal? I am pretty sure (never positive) that my 242 is a 1989 saw and it has the 300 decal like your 1988 saw.
my 42 is from late 1988, H42S.
The 242 Annicersary I got have all been produced in 1989, but early in the year, 10-20th week.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well since I obviously have never had a close look at the pto bearing on one of these, I went out and had a look at a 44 carcass that I have since I think it shares the same pto side bearing. Now I see why you cannot do as I was suggesting above, as the seal goes inside the bearing races and there is no room on the crankshaft for a regular seal.
44 crankcase, low hour 44, yeah I know its a shame to ruin a nice saw, but they gives us life for our 242’s

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 44 does indeed use the same bearing. The seal is available, just the bearing is the problem.
Thanks - hopefully I can remember that lol. So since I have a few 44 bottom ends here, I had better make sure I take care of the bearings in them in case I need them in the future.

CJ Brown

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
44 crankcase, low hour 44, yeah I know its a shame to ruin a nice saw, but they gives us life for our 242’s
I have a few 44s here Tor. I was thinking of maybe building one at some point down the road, but I may disassemble a couple just to get the bearings out of them and preserve them for future use.

So, never one to give up easily, I see that one could put a 12mm i.d x 15mm o.d. x 12mm wide sleeve on the pto side of the crank. Then you could install a 32x15x9 bearing and a 32x15x3 seal. Not ideal, but better than throwing a saw in the scrap heap maybe.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The big problem with 242 bearings Chris is the PTO side. I've search after bunch of bearings, special bearing too, but everything comes in conflict with the oil pump.
When you find a normal bearing and want to install a normal seal, you have to remember distance between the bearing seal.
The crankcase itself is just 10mm wide, there is no meat for a seal, 1mm is no meat :(

The only way I see is to work on the crankcase, at least right now.

But, 242's have so many NLA parts now, that is very difficult to do a rebuild, even oem pistons is NLA in Norway now.