So what did you do today?

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 461 wasn't running right the last day.
About half way through the day I could hear an unusual rattle every time the saw started to rev up or rev down. I put it down to the felling spikes coming loose, which the had done.
Then, later on, the saw would conk out as soon as I let the throttle off but run and cut fine at full throttle.
Today I took the air filter off and reset the low jet and it started and idled lean. The max flow filter was dirty on the inside and there were oily fines on the metal intake thing between the air filter and the carb. Maybe I didn't apply enough filter oil to the filter?
Anyway, upon removing the exhaust I discovered a large chunk of the piston gouged out between the two rings.
I lifted the cylinder and miraculously it was totally fine bar one small but deep gouge to the left of the exhaust port looking in from the exhaust port. There's also a tiny dent on the top of the piston but no matching dent on the cylinder so I doubt the bearings collapsed.

View attachment 434695View attachment 434696View attachment 434697

What are my options? Buy a piston and chance the original cylinder? Or replace both?
I know a man who recently rushed his own 461 with a digger but apparently the engine and case are fine. He might sell it me for scrap.
Does the chainsaw have a regular carburetor? I'm asking because I watched it on Sunday

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 461 wasn't running right the last day.
About half way through the day I could hear an unusual rattle every time the saw started to rev up or rev down. I put it down to the felling spikes coming loose, which the had done.
Then, later on, the saw would conk out as soon as I let the throttle off but run and cut fine at full throttle.
Today I took the air filter off and reset the low jet and it started and idled lean. The max flow filter was dirty on the inside and there were oily fines on the metal intake thing between the air filter and the carb. Maybe I didn't apply enough filter oil to the filter?
Anyway, upon removing the exhaust I discovered a large chunk of the piston gouged out between the two rings.
I lifted the cylinder and miraculously it was totally fine bar one small but deep gouge to the left of the exhaust port looking in from the exhaust port. There's also a tiny dent on the top of the piston but no matching dent on the cylinder so I doubt the bearings collapsed.

View attachment 434695View attachment 434696View attachment 434697

What are my options? Buy a piston and chance the original cylinder? Or replace both?
I know a man who recently rushed his own 461 with a digger but apparently the engine and case are fine. He might sell it me for scrap.
Ouch. Hard to see on the cyl but if there is any decent sized gouge or missing chunk the plating around it will eventually flake and you’ll be back where you started.
Looks like a new top end is in order.

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
11:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ouch. Hard to see on the cyl but if there is any decent sized gouge or missing chunk the plating around it will eventually flake and you’ll be back where you started.
Looks like a new top end is in order.
I can get a hyway top end from s company in the UK. However, they have nothing from meter to suit a 461.
I wonder would dealers have an oem top end or are they ungetable.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can get a hyway top end from s company in the UK. However, they have nothing from meter to suit a 461.
I wonder would dealers have an oem top end or are they ungetable.
A pretty common saw. Id imagine there are used parts out there in EU
Seems that oe is stihl available…but pricey

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't find an oem cylinder or piston on German or UK Ebay.
What does a new oem set go for in the US?
Here’s one on eBay.
I sent an email to my dealer to see what Stihl sells them for.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s one on eBay.
I sent an email to my dealer to see what Stihl sells them for.

Well the price itself is fine but when I add postage and customs it becomes less worthwhile.
If I cat get one from a dealer here I'll probably buy that one.
Thanks.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's more than half the price of a second saw
Worth it to me.
A new 461 can't be got anymore and second hand is hit or miss, especially if I'm having it posted to me and can't personally inspect it before buying.
I have a 462 but it blew up after 5 years. It's currently being fixed. The decomp came flying out so it's being heli coiled.
I have a 460 as well.

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After several days of back spasms I finally got a few things done…
Finished mild ports on a 371 and 55 Rancher; partial reassembly of the 371 (full rebuild); evaluated an 029 super that came in…needs fuel line, filter, bar dress and new chain. Beat sitting in the recliner swapping ice pkgs with a heating pad…all day 😒

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
3:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After several days of back spasms I finally got a few things done…
Finished mild ports on a 371 and 55 Rancher; partial reassembly of the 371 (full rebuild); evaluated an 029 super that came in…needs fuel line, filter, bar dress and new chain. Beat sitting in the recliner swapping ice pkgs with a heating pad…all day 😒
My dad wants to port his 55 Rancher. Nice!

Woodwackr

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad wants to port his 55 Rancher. Nice!
I don’t have a lathe so just do mild, basic stuff like open up the exhaust, gasket and muffler port and polish it, clean up any casting boogers in the intake and transfer ports, clean up casting boogers in the piston. Do a muffler mod and call it good.

On the 55, however, I’ll need to weld in some reinforcement after port-matching…there just isn’t enough metal left on the muffler’s mating surface to hold up for long.

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Someone rode their bike a little too deep 😉 Now that the cleaning is over, I'm going to look for 3/16 balls because even the bearing is corroded on one side.

Attachments

• IMG_20240927_121306.jpg
    IMG_20240927_121306.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240927_165753.jpg
    IMG_20240927_165753.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: