So what did you do today?

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I here you, I feel the same way. I enjoy the snow instead of the brown all winter, but the single digit temps we've been having not so much. If my fingers didn't get cold so quick, it wouldn't really be a big deal.
Now we've warmed back up into the 20s, little more snow on top of what was in those pics, and more on the way today.

My buddy was insistent that I needed a lift for $360 a day (after his big discount lol), plus wasting 2 hrs getting it. I just couldn't see doing that, but it would have been easier for the installation portion, but more time as I was cutting and installing.
I'll need to do something to get me up for the inside as I want to do the ceiling and the lean-to walls with osb and insulate them. I also plan on drywall on a 12x24 section that will all have 2x6 walls added and another r-19 of insulation. That area will be a little saw shop that's conditioned yr round.
Lots more to do/money to spend.
Yeah I hear you. There’s always a way to get it done. Money saved is money earned. There’s a certain bar that I draw the line but it’s pretty high lol. But sure, ladder in the back of the truck, platform on my forklift, whatever gets the job done. Back when I was an electrician though the motorized man lift was pretty sweet for hanging lights in barns. I’ve found the best thing that works…is have lots of friends with equipment. Barter system!

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can weld that fin back in place, is see no reason as to why that cylinder can't be salvaged.

Low temp aluminum welding rod should do the trick. You just need a torch to use then low temp rod.
And I need to find someone who can do that.

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I'm trying to do today is learn double bevel filing. This is my third or fourth attempt over the last year. Just can't get it right.

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_153044.jpg
    IMG_20240121_153044.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240121_153059.jpg
    IMG_20240121_153059.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240121_153112.jpg
    IMG_20240121_153112.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 17

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I'm trying to do today is learn double bevel filing. This is my third or fourth attempt over the last year. Just can't get it right.
Practice and Patience, are the two most needed. Just a filed example , but ur angles are all determined on the wood and conditions, It becomes repetitive once you get it, IMG_2203.jpeg

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My buddy was insistent that I needed a lift for $360 a day (after his big discount lol), plus wasting 2 hrs getting it. I just couldn't see doing that, but it would have been easier for the installation portion, but more time as I was cutting and installing.
I'll need to do something to get me up for the inside as I want to do the ceiling and the lean-to walls with osb and insulate them. I also plan on drywall on a 12x24 section that will all have 2x6 walls added and another r-19 of insulation. That area will be a little saw shop that's conditioned yr round.
Lots more to do/money to spend.

Perhaps a nifty new super heavy duty work bench on heavy duty castors, to go with the new garage?

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Perhaps a nifty new super heavy duty work bench on heavy duty castors, to go with the new garage?
I was just telling my boy yesterday that I should put some castors on a table I have an then add some angled supports to it, but I wasn't thinking of using it for that lol.
I can build a scaffold setup to do the 8-12 of the walls and the first sheets on both sides, it's just the middle of the main bay I'll need rolling scaffolding to get the sheets on the ceiling.
I may have to resort to building something my boy can drive me around on attached to the bucket of the big tractor. I may even be able to figure out something to attach to that to lift a few sheets at a time. A buddy has a drywall lift I could probably use, most of those only reach 11.5' so not quite the full 12'. I've got a couple tricks to help hold them in place to get the screws started, just need to get them close, so that would probably get the sheets up there.
Should be good fun no matter how we decide to do it.
Mounted this vise to the bench this summer.
20230728_201027.jpg
Made some wooden pads for the jaws for sharpening saw chains.
20230728_201035.jpg
Works great.
20230826_094120.jpg

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you post a better picture of your file? I’m looking at it on a tiny phone screen but it doesn’t look like a chisel bit file.
Edit: I think I see it now, it’s a vallorbe double bevel? Try getting the edge lined up in your top corner and tilt it so the file just about nicks the tie strap. That will get you close to the right angles

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wife had a flat on her ride, priced out new tires at Costco, two for 350. Decided to shoot a guy an email on Craigslist for a set of wheels and tires, then went to grab them up.
Nice set of enkei wheels, Bridgestone snow tires, and two sets of lugs/lug nuts and spacers(unfortunately the spacers didn't work on the camry).
20240127_174422.jpg
Afterwards we swung by lowes for a bit more lumber, enough to finish the divider wall in the lean-to and enough to build half the wall between the lean-to and the main(I already had the green wood for the bottom plate and a few 2x6x8').
20240127_174230.jpg
Got all the chutes/vents cut and installed on the short side of the lean-to, and got insulation stuffed between the carriers on half of that 48' wall. I'm trying to get the 12x24 shop portion sealed up quickly, winter could come back anytime.
These are 1" polyiso insulation, little more r-factor than using standard chutes and blown in cellulose, and I still get to add a bit of cellulose. Seems warmer in there already, but it may be the fact that it's warmer outside lol.
20240126_120804.jpg