So what did you do today?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bow season (for deer) opens in NY, but I don't go this early. I like to wait till more leaves drop, it gets colder, and the deer move more.

Also this year, we have an outbreak of EHD killing dozens of deer near by. It should go away after the first hard frost, so I will wait. Don't want a sick deer.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny how things work out. My 13 year old Grandson took Hunter Safety this year, but does not want to hunt yet. His Mom (my Daughter) took it at the same time and renewed her interest in shooting/hunting.

Took her trap shooting for the first time yesterday and she loved it and did much better than I expected. A few weeks ago she had trouble hitting stationary objects with the shotgun, but yesterday she broke the majority of her birds! Luckily, some of the "experts" at the club gave her some good coaching.

I think she wants to go both Turkey and Deer hunting this year, maybe we can find some Grouse also! (I love them).

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bow season (for deer) opens in NY, but I don't go this early. I like to wait till more leaves drop, it gets colder, and the deer move more.

Also this year, we have an outbreak of EHD killing dozens of deer near by. It should go away after the first hard frost, so I will wait. Don't want a sick deer.
Later is better but I have to take whatever time I can get right now. I start working again next week after being home for 11 months so there won't be much time anymore. This Covid thing is a real PITA, but it gave me a little over 5 months of spending every hour of every day with my wife and kids. Gonna be one of the saddest things I have done to have to give it up.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm in Australia what is EHD

Boomhower

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Yall have some big damn deer up there. Some parts of Texas have got Chronic Wasting Disease. They have parks and wildlife stations set up to test for it. Unfortunately frost doesnt do anything for it.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Funny how things work out. My 13 year old Grandson took Hunter Safety this year, but does not want to hunt yet. His Mom (my Daughter) took it at the same time and renewed her interest in shooting/hunting.

Took her trap shooting for the first time yesterday and she loved it and did much better than I expected. A few weeks ago she had trouble hitting stationary objects with the shotgun, but yesterday she broke the majority of her birds! Luckily, some of the "experts" at the club gave her some good coaching.

I think she wants to go both Turkey and Deer hunting this year, maybe we can find some Grouse also! (I love them).

Having your daughter take interest in hunting is awesome. My daughter took this one in 2018.

IMG_0670.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EHD is Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (see why I just used the letters)!

It is spread by tiny flies (no see ums) and kills the deer in 36 hrs. They seek water when dying, so the group deaths stink.

It can not be spread deer to deer, or deer to person. It is more common in the South, but is around here this year.

Luckily it will disappear with the cold weather, but it seems like it is taking quite a toll on the deer in places.

It is the first time I have heard of it locally.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw a good Utube vid.
Milling live oak in the deep south
Steve Cross Live Oak Channel

He built his own band mill which will handle a 24' band. Diesel motor out of a welder, parts from a few forklifts and various other things.
He is 5th generation sawmill owner in south Georgia so he has a great accent.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw a good Utube vid.
Milling live oak in the deep south
Steve Cross Live Oak Channel

He built his own band mill which will handle a 24' band. Diesel motor out of a welder, parts from a few forklifts and various other things.
He is 5th generation sawmill owner in south Georgia so he has a great accent.
I believe that's the same guy I was watching the other day, they were cutting parts for boat restoration.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that's the same guy I was watching the other day, they were cutting parts for boat restoration.

Yes he has videos of cutting wood for several ship restorations.
His mill is a contraption but it took some thought to build it.
There is also a vid of cutting a huge cypress log that was recovered from a river. It was axe cut.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes he has videos of cutting wood for several ship restorations.
His mill is a contraption but it took some thought to build it.
There is also a vid of cutting a huge cypress log that was recovered from a river. It was axe cut.
Yep,I thought you were talking about the same guy,,very interesting fellow

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
EHD is Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (see why I just used the letters)!

It is spread by tiny flies (no see ums) and kills the deer in 36 hrs. They seek water when dying, so the group deaths stink.

It can not be spread deer to deer, or deer to person. It is more common in the South, but is around here this year.

Luckily it will disappear with the cold weather, but it seems like it is taking quite a toll on the deer in places.

It is the first time I have heard of it locally.

Thanks Mike that is very sad. Such a waste and a very very quick disease .