High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Repair Chainsaw's-Where/how did you learn? Tips for others

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Basically like the title said, who taught you how to fix them, where did you learn? Or suggestions for those who know nothing, and would like to know more.

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I imagine that some of you guys get asked this a lot. I know I am curious, and rather than PM Mastermind and a few others thought I'd ask here.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I only collect on 2xx serie to Husky.

When I get a new for me saw, first I do is to download all the IPL's from Husky.
Next I do is to beg for workshop manual.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read alot, study all those IPL's close, reading through workshop manuals, etc.
Right now I work with one old Husky 133 SG. There is lots of parts that are no more avaible, NLA.
I fancy those old saws, more fun to work with a saw who is difficult to get parts to :)

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I pick a lot of brains here. Most of them came from "another" site where I also picked their brains. There is some serious experience here, and they are happy to share that knowledge with the rest of us. Between that and IPLs and factory manuals I've managed to download, I get by. I would LOVE to have someone local to me that knows WTF and could show me the ropes, but unfortunately, I'm on my own to blunder through it.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I do with all those IPL's is to visit:
https://www.partstree.com/parts/husqvarna/saws-chainsaw/
Special when I plan to order parts from my dealer, giving them correct # numbers + I learn something also :)

This forum have many high skilled members, lots of great build threads, there is lots of learning just by reading.
I dont collect on Stihls, but I read those threads here, learning something the whole time

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
2:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your worried about getting in to something that you fear might be over your head don't be scared. Ask lots of questions, take pictures of things as you go. There are a lot of real knowledgeable people here that are more then willing to help answer any questions you have and offer tips to help make things easier. Some people are even good enough to offer to come to your place or invite to come to there's and give you a hand.

d.l.d

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My learning started when my saw that i needed to cut firewood broke and at this time in my life so was i. Couldn't afford to take it in. so being somewhat mechanically inclined, though i could possibly fix it myself. Well i did, and thats where the addiction started.

Since then i have done massive amounts of reading on sites like this one. They are a huge help with all the knowledgeable guys that in some cases have yrs of trial and error that you can figure out in a matter of minutes reading their posts.

More hands on experience was needed so I started buying parts and non working saws and fixing them through trial and error for my own collection. Then from that, it has expanded to people that i know bringing their saws to be fixed to people they know and so on. I still just do it as a hobby for the most part using money made from repairs to fuel the collection.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I always did most of my own work on cars and trucks, I quit smoking by taking apart my John Deere saw and rebuilding it and then my P52 Pioneer. Just keep track of were the parts come from and put them back in the same order.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I pretty much learned to repair stuff out of necessity. Growing up I didn't have much and things that I did have were all but worn out. So I learned to fix them. After rebuilding countless engines and transmissions, saws seem easy. That's not to say I'll never have problems or questions. I'm here to learn like everyone else.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If only there was a place called Chainsaw Repair Site. Oh wait... there is. Run by one of the members here. I did read somewhere that they were migrating to new servers so if you have trouble just wait a day or 2.

@Cut4fun Is the migration complete?

Last edited:

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
When I win the new saw I won't have to work on one for awhile.:ARMS1:

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read read read read. ....get it?

:)

That and watch my vids on youtube :)

Last edited:

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Step 1. Accept that education has a cost.
Step 2. Buy a common, but tired saw.
Step 3. Aquire manuals and ipl
Step 4. Run saw and find issues
Step 5. Fix issues one at a time. Take photos, ask for help when you get stuck.
Step 6. Wonder why you didn't just buy a new saw. Realise that you have gained knowledge, experience and a saw.

Still looking for a smaller saw? Buy a husky 346 as cheap as you can. You'll have to order parts online, as you've mentioned not having a dealer and you'll end up with one of the best little saws you can own.