Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About the dogs.... 20230328_163755.jpg
No no Rai Rai... Not you buddy... These dogs...20230424_052558.jpg @huskihl will appreciate this one... I can see him shaking his head... They're called west coast saw for a reason. They cater to fellers from there... Gordy and the crew over there have really streamlined their process. These dogs are made well and priced right @ 30 dollarsish. Nice black oxide... But they're huge. Gave em the east coast profile reduction for our hardwoods.... And relocated the catcher. That bottom dog is almost useless out here... Makes for a very choppy, clutched out ride... All teeth went on a diet of about 3/4".20230501_073627.jpg
Ass is as ass does 🤣🤣🤣
Trying to have fun along the way is critical, as I'm generally stressed about what I'm doing on these saws...

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How you get a 044 with the recoil on the clutch side? What kinda funny camera you got.
I'm just using my trusty Samsung A11 selfie side camera. It's always been that way. I feel like it takes extra processing power to reassemble the image like that. Someone went out of their way. I suppose I should soon invest in something better if I'm going to take videos. The mic doesn't like loud either.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@drf256 gave me some new goals with timing... I was @ 101*exh,126* transfers, and 70* intake. Al told me to bring the transfers to 122* and the intake down to 74-78*. Again, I didn't ask anyone how they map intake.. Al said I could nip the skirt if that would be easier, but I wanted to do the port. I figured the only way to lay out the intake, was to bring the piston to the desired degree on the wheel, then scribe it through the port, then measure the distance from the scribe to the bottom of the skirt, transfer that measurement to the port floor, and layout to grind. During the scribing, that's when I discovered axial play. The piston was doing the twist in the bore. Alot. I was concerned about both the pin play, and big end. Al then told me about the meteor slug issue. I had my mark though, made the decision to continue porting, and would go back to the oem slug and pin on reassembly. Anyway, the oem slug was 7.7g lighter than the meteor, and the oem pin was tapered and lighter too. So I got to cutting the ports, got a new oem pin bearing, and washed the case and all parts in mineral spirits. Mineral spirits should be called miracle spirits. Best cleaning I've ever seen. All particles were in suspension after some sloshing, and poured right out of the case. Followed by jamming some fresh paper towels against the crank weights, and rotating through the case... A rewarding squeek confirmed an immaculate cleaning. View attachment 376051
Made my mark, inserted 2 rings and used piston to push to just above mark. Made a layout line, then brought the center of port down to line. Made lines for width guides, then massaged from center to those... View attachment 376052View attachment 376053
Blended all to Port inlet, then roughed up with 80 grit, finished with scotch Brite to knock off any loose... I didn't want another contamination issue. Mind you, my goal in layout was to hit 78*...
That looks like an early Kolbenschmidt cylinder, the holy grail of 044 jugs. Way better than the later Mahle, or at least more compression due to the smaller combustion area up top. With all that porting, you must be well over 180 psi. How do you pull that thing over? SHould be a competition grade saw when you get it dialed in.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like an early Kolbenschmidt cylinder, the holy grail of 044 jugs. Way better than the later Mahle, or at least more compression due to the smaller combustion area up top. With all that porting, you must be well over 180 psi. How do you pull that thing over? SHould be a competition grade saw when you get it dialed in.
I don't think that was a kolben. It wasn't murder to pull. That saw runs well but by no means competition grade. In my opinion, it lacked a but of torque. Seemed to pull well, but keeping the rpms up in the cut seemed to be the spot. I never threw a gauge on it.

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fantastic! My 044 is the same build (ports are chamfered no timing change) similar squish and it's too much for a 24" bar. I'd like to know what your rpms are buried in oak. It sounds like mine with a 24", maybe higher. Yours definitely cracks better and that's what I want. May have to port mine as well.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fantastic! My 044 is the same build (ports are chamfered no timing change) similar squish and it's too much for a 24" bar. I'd like to know what your rpms are buried in oak. It sounds like mine with a 24", maybe higher. Yours definitely cracks better and that's what I want. May have to port mine as well.
I have great teachers! The best! It was a perfect entry level saw to do. They respond well to minimal changes. Wanna know what's funny? I used the cutoff wheel stacked in the dremel to do the uppers. I didn't have an ra handpeice at the time. Gotta be be ca-ca-careful. Light pressure, steady hand. I dint know the rpms, honestly. I can't be bothered with that mostly. When a saw eats wood like it should..

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ps.... It's faster now. The rings seated, AND I leaned it out a bit. I'm growing a bit more courageous as I gain experience and I'm finding all the saws I did months ago I set way too rich... Paranoia will destroya. I was chicken sh*t I'd burn up a saw.

bogieboy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats a nice looking 044 build.... mines nowhere near as nice...LOL it came out of the scrap pile at work, threw a $10 chinese piston in it (shocked that i found one that cheap for a 10mm slant fin jug) and slapped it back together after cleaning out the old piston transfer from the cylinder, and while apart widened the intake and exhaust along with adding a few degrees of exhaust timing, (just eyeballed it, dont have a timing wheel) and widened and smoothed off the lip from the lower transfers...still in the seating rings phase but it sounds pretty healthy with the oem style dual port muff cover on it....LOL that got added after this pic though... also, running a 32" modified to fit Mccullogh hardnose bar on it LOL also from the scrap pile...

Attachments

• 20231012_151240.jpg
    20231012_151240.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 11