Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read that. Was not that clear to me.

A ‘triangle hinge’ is confusing to me from a ‘controlled, directional’ felling standpoint. Unless the lean is overwhelming?

Even so, a small face cut would seem reasonable.

Just trying to understand.

Philbert
I think Mr B and his buddy were confused to , when it was explained to them by their friend, Lol

pavel408

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read that. Was not that clear to me.

A ‘triangle hinge’ is confusing to me from a ‘controlled, directional’ felling standpoint. Unless the lean is overwhelming?

Even so, a small face cut would seem reasonable.

Just trying to understand.
I think this technique is designed only for heavy leaners, which you want to take safely down - the goal here is not to control the falling direction, but to prevent barber chair.

My understanding is that no face cut (undercut) prolongs the tear out.

Mr. Beranek wrote (on page 6): "The Coos Bay is accomplished in 3 cuts. Side cut, side cut, top cut." Or later more detailed: "Using the Coos bay there's no need for an undercut. Not at all. Instead place a side cut into the stem a quarter to third of the way in, either the right or left side. ... Next, place another side cut into the stem, opposite the first, about a third of the way in also. ... execute the Coos Bay by severing the [remaining] tension wood."

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would you say Eastern trees are mostly more prone to split/chair?

Thanks

Not particularly. I would say that most deciduous species have shorter, more brittle fibers that make them more likely to sever a hinge than most conifers. Species distribution just seems to place them into east vs west groups, especially given the large grasslands dividing the two predominantly forested regions of North America.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not particularly. I would say that most deciduous species have shorter, more brittle fibers that make them more likely to sever a hinge than most conifers. Species distribution just seems to place them into east vs west groups, especially given the large grasslands dividing the two predominantly forested regions of North America.
Dead Ash trees 🌲 aren’t fun ,

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dead Ash trees 🌲 aren’t fun ,

I did a project back in 2015 into 2016 where we cleared out a 1000 acre property that was being decimated by the EAB. The owner took the nuclear option and wanted every Ash tree, regardless of subspecies, dead or dying, including the stumps, gone. Not ground stumps, dug out and hauled away or burned onsite. I have a lot of experience with dead ash trees.

They suck, they’re very brittle, and have some of the longer fibers you’ll find in a deciduous hardwood tree. It does make for a barberchair hazard. But, using proper felling techniques those hazards can usually be mitigated. If you don’t think it can be felled safely, walking away is always an option. There are plenty of other ways to take a tree down than with a chainsaw (heavy equipment, explosives), or sometimes it’s best to just let it go and at some point the wind, saturated soil or something else will take care of it, and it poses no hazard of people are kept away.

Thankfully on that job I had a 336 Cat and a 953, so if it was too hairy we’d just knock it down, but we did get some good saw logs from the project.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 388408

EDIT: Please correct me, if my picture of Coos Bay is wrong, I will update it!
I was taught the coos bay cut for small trees with a heavy lean that you couldn’t bore cut and release ( aka dogs tooth). In your pic of the coos bay where it says” cut here” we did 2 face cuts.
We had a guy on the coarse that really nailed it first time.. but all his other face cuts were very good

However as times gone on when peeps referred to the triangle cut. I thought it was the same thing .?

I can’t really get my head around where your pic of the triangle cut would be used and how it would be beneficial. And It would be awsome if someone could find a vid somewhere of this cut being performed 😉

Btw, I,m not saying your wrong in your descriptions 👍, we’re discussing different cuts and it’s how I’ve just come to understand it. 😉

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a project back in 2015 into 2016 where we cleared out a 1000 acre property that was being decimated by the EAB. The owner took the nuclear option and wanted every Ash tree, regardless of subspecies, dead or dying, including the stumps, gone. Not ground stumps, dug out and hauled away or burned onsite. I have a lot of experience with dead ash trees.

They suck, they’re very brittle, and have some of the longer fibers you’ll find in a deciduous hardwood tree. It does make for a barberchair hazard. But, using proper felling techniques those hazards can usually be mitigated. If you don’t think it can be felled safely, walking away is always an option. There are plenty of other ways to take a tree down than with a chainsaw (heavy equipment, explosives), or sometimes it’s best to just let it go and at some point the wind, saturated soil or something else will take care of it, and it poses no hazard of people are kept away.

Thankfully on that job I had a 336 Cat and a 953, so if it was too hairy we’d just knock it down, but we did get some good saw logs from the project.
I lost pretty much all my Ash trees 🌲 to the EAB beetle, it’s decimated my area , limbs break off and shatter like glass , had some very large ons next to my home soil me over 40” at the stump, IMG_0134.jpeg

pavel408

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can’t really get my head around where your pic of the triangle cut would be used and how it would be beneficial. And It would be awsome if someone could find a vid somewhere of this cut being performed 😉
😉
The original picture is from this post: https://opeforum.com/threads/tree-c...-learn-or-take-advise-from.28134/post-1431894
I only added Coos Bay to it - according to my understanding of the description by Mr. Beranek.

Difference between T and Triangle explained here: https://opeforum.com/threads/tree-c...-learn-or-take-advise-from.28134/post-1431984

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure i understand better how these cuts can be used now 👍😉

The T cut would go fast but as it’s shape has cut where it would normally Barber chair , thus it can’t and pulls fibres.

That triangle cut would be the same-ish, albeit a bit slower.

However both these cuts have better directional felling than the other pic labelled “coos bay” in post 277

Thanks for the help with me getting to understanding it..👍

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Need to clarify...triangle is not coos bay. Coos bay is even weirder. Cut both sides 1/3, then back cut. No face. There is more discussion about it on the treehouse forum.
Just used a coos bay, on a good leaner, Wednesday. Only second time in my career. Could have done this tree Wednesday without it. But figured good trial and practice.