Tree cutting skills. Be careful who you learn or take advise from

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cut a oak yesterday. Super super hard lean. I was on a bank, which was basically vertical l, tree.overhead above me. Didn't play around, Coos bay cut and just hit the back with the bar full speed, sawing. Heard a crack and ran, worked out well actually. But I Absolutely did not like my limited.and compromised escape route and work area. 0 room for error.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread with lots of great information! I didn't read every single post but will throw my observations in here for you all to do with as you see fit.....

Tree work (felling, climbing, assessing and reading trees, etc) is so full of variables that it's hard to find a true "catch-all" educational itinerary. Different regions, species, hardwoods-v-softwoods, climate, etc play huge roles in the way this work is done. Beraneks teachings are kinda the gold standard, IMO, for a good basic knowledge of may facets of the work. There are great guys like August and Gordy and the late Jed who are great to learn from. But in the time I've been doing it, alot of skills can be best learned by starting small and practicing (namely the climbing aspects). A basic understanding of physics is a must when taking on this kind of work. There are some real hacks on the interwebs that in my opinion shouldn't even be allowed to hold a chainsaw let alone have "tutorials" on how to climb/fell/and in some cases even process wood...lol. Some things I've seen on YT blow my mind. One guy in particular that comes to mind is that "Joe's Premium Firewood" guy. If you watch a few of his vids, you'll see quickly what I mean.

At any rate, the ISA book and certification study guide is a good thing to have and learn (even if you never certify), lots of good info both basic and advanced in that guide. I'm rambling some here, but I wanted to throw my pennies in the jar for yinz. Be safe out there peeps. Always remember that there's people who depend on you doing your job safely, you MATTER. Don't be doing something that's not in your wheelhouse until you've got the experience/help/knowledge of thr task at hand.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread with lots of great information! I didn't read every single post but will throw my observations in here for you all to do with as you see fit.....

Tree work (felling, climbing, assessing and reading trees, etc) is so full of variables that it's hard to find a true "catch-all" educational itinerary. Different regions, species, hardwoods-v-softwoods, climate, etc play huge roles in the way this work is done. Beraneks teachings are kinda the gold standard, IMO, for a good basic knowledge of may facets of the work. There are great guys like August and Gordy and the late Jed who are great to learn from. But in the time I've been doing it, alot of skills can be best learned by starting small and practicing (namely the climbing aspects). A basic understanding of physics is a must when taking on this kind of work. There are some real hacks on the interwebs that in my opinion shouldn't even be allowed to hold a chainsaw let alone have "tutorials" on how to climb/fell/and in some cases even process wood...lol. Some things I've seen on YT blow my mind. One guy in particular that comes to mind is that "Joe's Premium Firewood" guy. If you watch a few of his vids, you'll see quickly what I mean.

At any rate, the ISA book and certification study guide is a good thing to have and learn (even if you never certify), lots of good info both basic and advanced in that guide. I'm rambling some here, but I wanted to throw my pennies in the jar for yinz. Be safe out there peeps. Always remember that there's people who depend on you doing your job safely, you MATTER. Don't be doing something that's not in your wheelhouse until you've got the experience/help/knowledge of thr task at hand.
Awesome two cents. Totally agree! Thank u

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Attachments

• E826D6BD-88DC-44C1-866D-0AE26D5AFCEA.jpeg
    E826D6BD-88DC-44C1-866D-0AE26D5AFCEA.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 55

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Normzilla