davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
7:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just put up a bunch of Euc felling vids. Most are short, just the hinge/fall. This one is the whole process. Open face seems to significantly improve hinging, but the back cut must be at the same level as the top of the face cut. If it’s high, the hinge will just snap off at the top of the face instead of peeling away from the stump.

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is East coast. This stump is from what equates to an old growth cutter out west, demographicly speaking.. As shocking as that is. Makes no sense because the first run was trashed from the wood pull. He cut the slivers but you can see how much of the heartwood was pulled out. The first run is about all there is on such a tree.
I would've cut them as the brown fence is my house. I was in a different state when they went down. There's a bigger poplar stump down the hill that is so off plumb, I dont think you could stane on it without new nails. Of course, it had a giant post that pulled out of the butt.

probably a good Idea not to learn from someone who makes stumps like that.
20230511_164438.jpg 20230511_164433.jpg

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is East coast. This stump is from what equates to an old growth cutter out west, demographicly speaking.. As shocking as that is. Makes no sense because the first run was trashed from the wood pull. He cut the slivers but you can see how much of the heartwood was pulled out. The first run is about all there is on such a tree.
I would've cut them as the brown fence is my house. I was in a different state when they went down. There's a bigger poplar stump down the hill that is so off plumb, I dont think you could stane on it without new nails. Of course, it had a giant post that pulled out of the butt.

View attachment 377375 View attachment 377374
Yeah lots of hack and slash cutters around, here too.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@dik650 i don’t think you can classify that as any type of cutting. It’s someone who doesn’t know the first thing about cutting and is blindly hacking away and ripping it off the stump. I can’t make out a face or anything. It’s all angled up.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@dik650 i don’t think you can classify that as any type of cutting. It’s someone who doesn’t know the first thing about cutting and is blindly hacking away and ripping it off the stump. I can’t make out a face or anything. It’s all angled up.
I'd agree, pretty bad

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scary huh?
The guy has been in business, selling to the local mill, for like over 40 years.
Most of the old guys have graduated from straight up stumpjumping to this bottom tier GOL stuff.
Also 95% of the time the face is on the downhill side. No different here.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no gol advocate, when I try I mismatch the cuts
My plunge cuts are mismatched most of the time as well, and quite honestly, doesn’t affect anything when it comes to directional felling on hardwoods for me. As long as the notch and hinge wood is correct.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scary huh?
The guy has been in business, selling to the local mill, for like over 40 years.
Most of the old guys have graduated from straight up stumpjumping to this bottom tier GOL stuff.
Also 95% of the time the face is on the downhill side. No different here.
Incredible. I still can’t see any kind of logic or reasoning in that stump.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 377375 View attachment 377374
That's called a farmer's notch here
They cut both sides and gravity wins
Or they lose a fence 50/50 chance

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a guy once get heated under the collar, declaring ’plunge cuts’ and ‘bore cuts’ were different things (one perpendicular to the grain, and one parallel to the grain). Any thoughts on that terminology?

Philbert