Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
7:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Point of this thread was to hopefully save someone ruining a cylinder, especially a ported one, because of the possibility of a simple fastener malfunction, as it was something new(to me at least)

Pics of the malfunctioned fastener ?

Ive only seen a picture of a screw that wasn’t tightened enough for it to come loose and fall out/in

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one like that a couple years ago, cyl damage was minimal and customer wanted cheapest fix possible.
I cleaned up the cyl, which looked great and installed an AM piston (NOT meteor) and it didn't last long.
Piston scored and stuck a ring. OEM piston was a couple bucks more than top end kit (and still kinda pricey) as mentioned earlier here.
Customer still wanted AM piston again.... Guess what happened???????

Yup same S.... don't remember what the brand was off the top of my head...

I think i still have a couple decent cyls hiding in the shed... If meteor is making pistons for them now I might be able to salvage a box o 550!! lol

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one like that a couple years ago, cyl damage was minimal and customer wanted cheapest fix possible.
I cleaned up the cyl, which looked great and installed an AM piston (NOT meteor) and it didn't last long.
Piston scored and stuck a ring. OEM piston was a couple bucks more than top end kit (and still kinda pricey) as mentioned earlier here.
Customer still wanted AM piston again.... Guess what happened???????

Yup same S.... don't remember what the brand was off the top of my head...

I think i still have a couple decent cyls hiding in the shed... If meteor is making pistons for them now I might be able to salvage a box o 550!! lol

There were/are some pistons from India that I wouldn't use to level a table leg with.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you guys like meteor?
I have a Meteor P&C for my 372 im building.

I've used countless Meteor pistons in ported saw's, they hold up well and have some of the toughest rings in the industry.
For me, the cylinder kits were good for replacement on a firewood saw, gave stock performance. They are tough and hard to port/machine. Have an example that survived a ring breakage unscathed and kept running, quite amazing.
Check first as some models the OEM prices are competitive and renders the AM options undesirable.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There were/are some pistons from India that I wouldn't use to level a table leg with.
Probably what I ended with!!
They were crap but the only AM option at the time. I don't even remember if they were "branded".
Piston was like $25. OEM piston cyl was like $300 at the time....

Meteor are the only "AM" piston I would ever use again.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably what I ended with!!
They were crap but the only AM option at the time. I don't even remember if they were "branded".
Piston was like $25. OEM piston cyl was like $300 at the time....

Meteor are the only "AM" piston I would ever use again.

As of right now besides OEM, I will use Meteor, Wiseco and The Duke's Performance brands in a ported saw. With Meteor being the only one right now having an offering for the 550. This does give me some flexibility in the builds both monetarily and creatively speaking. The only cylinder I will port however is OEM only, for quality, consistency, durability, dependability and metallurgical reasons.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a friggin throttle plate screw, this could happen to any saw from any brand with any carburettor. Moral of the story is use a dab of Loctite. I love to bash Husky on the odd occasion when self esteem is low & I need to feel better about myself but I'll try to do it based off Husqvarna design pitfalls, not the outsourced carb they bought off Stihl.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a friggin throttle plate screw, this could happen to any saw from any brand with any carburettor. Moral of the story is use a dab of Loctite. I love to bash Husky on the odd occasion when self esteem is low & I need to feel better about myself but I'll try to do it based off Husqvarna design pitfalls, not the outsourced carb they bought off Stihl.
Lol

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah....
Done yet??
Where's the vid???

Lol, just playing.

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still LOL'd-ed-ed....

Hooskie has to be faster than me...

I make mastermoobs look like the flash!!!

I feel like the daddy "slowsky's" turtle's slowest relative....

(That's an internet speed commercial thing... If it wasn't in your area this will make no sense...)