Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a 550xpg come back in locked up, seamed odd for the amount of use it saw.
Upon disassembly it was discovered that a tiny screw had found its way into the cylinder.
You can see it as I found it in this picture.
IMG_20200809_210032568.jpg

It took a little bit of detective work to find where it came from.
IMG_20200810_081822348.jpg

I believe that a drop of loctite will be standard procedure for these two screws in the future.

Somewhat fortunately, this cylinder is not badly damaged, a little bit of beveling, a new piston and screw and it will be back in business.
This is not to say that it could not have turned out worse and the cylinder could have been ruined, which is a much more costly proposition.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what piston options are out there for the 550 these days steve? the only time i bought one, it was actually $5 cheaper for the whole top end kit than it was for just the piston from husky

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed that LilRedBarn have started to sell their branded popup piston for this. I have never used anything other than OEM in this series of saw.

popup.JPG 550 popup.JPG

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What year is stamped on that 550?

quality control was pretty bad from what i understand and experienced during certain years.
I never did understand why a pro saw meant to replace the legendary 350 had the car made in china by zama...
Should have been the first red flag of many.
I know there are many 550 owners that have great unproblematic saws, however i was not one of them...

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what piston options are out there for the 550 these days steve? the only time i bought one, it was actually $5 cheaper for the whole top end kit than it was for just the piston from husky

Prices on cylinders went up if that makes it any better.

Meteor actually makes a nice replacement for the mark I atleast $35-40

I went with the Meteor. :)

Screws falling out of a Husqvarna, say it aint so... :)

It fell in, technically speaking.

well, technically it didnt fall out of the saw, it just moved to a more secure location...

Locked solid.

I noticed that LilRedBarn have started to sell their branded popup piston for this. I have never used anything other than OEM in this series of saw.

View attachment 254038 View attachment 254039

I'll never use them.

What year is stamped on that 550?

quality control was pretty bad from what i understand and experienced during certain years.
I never did understand why a pro saw meant to replace the legendary 350 had the car made in china by zama...
Should have been the first red flag of many.
I know there are many 550 owners that have great unproblematic saws, however i was not one of them...

Fell out of position, that good? Can`t see what it is securing cept ruining a piston, oh the irony of it all...LOL

No

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always use loctite for fasteners clamping on plastic/composites without a metal sleeve to take the load, if they aren’t often removed cover plastics anyway, i’m surprised more don’t fall out.

I do like to hear from more experienced saw builders to find out which models and what screws have a habit of coming loose.

Last edited:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always use loctite for fasteners clamping on plastic/composites without a metal sleeve to take the load, if there aren’t often removed cover plastics anyway, i’m surprised more don’t fall out.

I do like to hear from more experienced saw builders to find out which models and what screws have a habit of coming loose.
:facepalm:tee.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky quality.

IMHO, they just can’t compare to the Ergonomics, QC and elegance of Stihl.

Sorry guys, Stihl just produces a superior product. After the “2” series, the Husky seemed to get cheaper and cheaper feeling.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky quality.

IMHO, they just can’t compare to the Ergonomics, QC and elegance of Stihl.

Sorry guys, Stihl just produces a superior product. After the “2” series, the Husky seemed to get cheaper and cheaper feeling.

Same for me, I just stopped all repair work on them by mid run of the 3 series. I dislike having returns for fasteners falling/rattling out. The 2 series saws seemed better built but even they lost fasteners unless Locktite was used.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Prices on cylinders went up if that makes it any better.

I went with the Meteor. :)

It fell in, technically speaking.

Locked solid.

I'll never use them.

No

Oh, now I see, its securing the piston. Must not allow that piston to move, that would be noisy.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They all have their issues, even Stihl, which can't seem to keep a simple bucking spike attached for example, do I need to go on here?

Point of this thread was to hopefully save someone ruining a cylinder, especially a ported one, because of the possibility of a simple fastener malfunction, as it was something new(to me at least) not fuel a fanboy frenzy.

#everythingbreaks