Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
49e11a797f9aa9e961b5e9353e0d527d.jpg

What you’re looking for is the outside corner and the cutting corner to meet like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wanna hear a small world story?

My brother told me long ago of a logger that lived next door to him that square filed his chains. I met him long ago, don't remember much about him though.
Brother sold house and moved out of the neighborhood.
In the thread above John Beisweinger offered me a loop of chain, said he lives 20 min. from me.
Turns out John is my brothers' old next door neighbor.
Kind of crazy, isn't it.......................
I love hearing stuff like that.

Anyone near me to teach me how to square file and to send me some free chains :idea:.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
2:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find square chisel lasts better than round chisel...got more support on the leading edge. Round chisel too pointy & gets smashed out of shape in hard wood. I just bought a roll of Windsor round chisel that I'll grind square to play with, but for me semi chisel is 99% what I use.... unfortunately :(
Around here I have found Windsor a waste of time in hardwoods but we have grey sandy soil being close to the coast , mix that with stringy bark and box bark and stihl or Carlton chain lasts the best . hope you have better luck

iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around here I have found Windsor a waste of time in hardwoods but we have grey sandy soil being close to the coast , mix that with stringy bark and box bark and stihl or Carlton chain lasts the best . hope you have better luck

I mainly run Stihl rsflk. I found 2 loops of Carlton 3/8 050 skip I was bored so I square file the chain just to see what it would do? It’s a salad shooter!! In popular, cherry, soft maple it throws ribbons!! Very impressive.Been wanting to get a couple more loops of full comp and see what they do? I have no idea how these chains will hold up to say a full day of cutting firewood? So far all I’ve cut with them is cookies of popular and a few saplings. It was a fun experiment but definitely too much work to buy loops or a roll to run full time. Hoping to get a grinder somewhere down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mainly run Stihl rsflk. I found 2 loops of Carlton 3/8 050 skip I was bored so I square file the chain just to see what it would do? It’s a salad shooter!! In popular, cherry, soft maple it throws ribbons!! Very impressive.Been wanting to get a couple more loops of full comp and see what they do? I have no idea how these chains will hold up to say a full day of cutting firewood? So far all I’ve cut with them is cookies of popular and a few saplings. It was a fun experiment but definitely too much work to buy loops or a roll to run full time. Hoping to get a grinder somewhere down the road.

Forgot.... I’m in central WVa and we mainly cut locust, popular, cherry, maple, and lots and lots of dead ash. Should say “deadly dead ash” man I hate cutting those things!!![emoji856]

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was a guy in here I can’t remember his name that made them. Only a short run were made. I see forrester sells one but looks light duty.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everybody has an opinion . I find it a pain in the behind to file for work chain .A racer is different but it is used in soft poplar or cotton wood not hard as iron dead ash or hickory .I seldom cut a live tree .

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Forgot.... I’m in central WVa and we mainly cut locust, popular, cherry, maple, and lots and lots of dead ash. Should say “deadly dead ash” man I hate cutting those things!!![emoji856]

where at in west virginia