Not Sold On Square Filing

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. I’ve seen what your grey box looks like. The hardest I cut here is locust and hickory, which are soft by your standards. Red oak is like cutting cardboard next to dry Hickory and Locust.
Grey box grows at high altitude here and is outstanding fire wood .

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find square chisel lasts better than round chisel...got more support on the leading edge. Round chisel too pointy & gets smashed out of shape in hard wood. I just bought a roll of Windsor round chisel that I'll grind square to play with, but for me semi chisel is 99% what I use.... unfortunately :(

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I find square chisel lasts better than round chisel...got more support on the leading edge. Round chisel too pointy & gets smashed out of shape in hard wood. I just bought a roll of Windsor round chisel that I'll grind square to play with, but for me semi chisel is 99% what I use.... unfortunately :(

I think as long as your angles are set for what you’re cutting then both stay sharp just as long.

iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It took me months of constant filing to find the right angles where the chain would cut fast and stay sharp. And then it was hit & miss on my ability to recreate everything correctly. Very very frustrating but now I’m over a year hand filing and can setup a new chain in a hour (no hurry) and touch up a 28” skip in 10/15 minutes. Personally I’ll never go back to round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mentioned above that this pc was my first pass at square filing and I changed the profile after these pics were taken
You're not getting the corner right. Keep making adjustments it'll get better. Don't be discouraged by these square file snobs....
There's some good videos on it. Here's one..

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It took me months of constant filing to find the right angles where the chain would cut fast and stay sharp. And then it was hit & miss on my ability to recreate everything correctly. Very very frustrating but now I’m over a year hand filing and can setup a new chain in a hour (no hurry) and touch up a 28” skip in 10/15 minutes. Personally I’ll never go back to round.

That's pretty fast I can touch up 91 driver full comp in 20 minutes give or take.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll spend an hour on a chain on occasion when chisel filing, but I end up resisting using it cause I put so much effort into it :rolleyes:. But work chains get pushed through the grinder at pace, usually I can smell dinner & have had enough of saws for the day. 3-6ish mins max per chain 12"-24" don't even clamp the chain vice just set enough pressure a feed chain through by hand.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll spend an hour on a chain on occasion when chisel filing, but I end up resisting using it cause I put so much effort into it :rolleyes:. But work chains get pushed through the grinder at pace, usually I can smell dinner & have had enough of saws for the day. 3-6ish mins max per chain 12"-24" don't even clamp the chain vice just set enough pressure a feed chain through by hand.

l like doing it on the saw. I tighten the chain up so I can barely turn it for filing. Chain will take me 30-40 on first pass or if it’s rocked.

iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0201.jpg
This is what works for me. I like around 25/30* top plate angle and around 85* sideplate angle. For me anything more than that feeds excellent but is fairly dangerous back barring. Like I said this is what works for me definitely not a pro here.

iamsham78

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're not getting the corner right. Keep making adjustments it'll get better. Don't be discouraged by these square file snobs....
There's some good videos on it. Here's one..

I have learned so much from watching John!![emoji1303]

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, tell you what.........
would any of you want to send me a coupla' links of chain that is properly square filed?
i will pay you for your time and shipping.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, tell you what.........
would any of you want to send me a coupla' links of chain that is properly square filed?
i will pay you for your time and shipping.

That won't work. Besides, there are 100s of pictures of properly square filed chain, some in this thread. And, there are many videos on how to square file. See below...

Hows about you send me a chain, and I'll square it up nicey-nce for ya. Just cover the shipping

^^^^This. I have a better idea; just buy a chain from Moparway, go cut with it and decide if you think it is worth the time and effort it is going to take to learn how to square file. You may think your round chain is all you need.

FWIW, I do not square file. I have used really good square filed chain though. It is smoother and faster; I love it, it is the cat's meow IMO. These guys say it lasts as long as round filed chain in clean wood; if they say it does I believe them.

You may ask why don't I square file. Because I don't cut enough anymore to spend the time and effort it takes to learn how to square file properly; a square grinder is not in the cards right now; the files are pricey; my wrist and fingers ache bad enough from round filing; I have a round grinder; and I might be a little lazy to put in the time it takes to master the art. Round filed chain does all I need it to do unless the wood is square :)

Last edited:

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hows about you send me a chain, and I'll square it up nicey-nce for ya. Just cover the shipping

You can't beat an offer like that. a factory square ground chain helped me a lot when I was trying to figure it out. being able to set the file on the cutter and feel when it's at the right angle is incredibly helpful.