Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can't beat an offer like that. a factory square ground chain helped me a lot when I was trying to figure it out. being able to set the file on the cutter and feel when it's at the right angle is incredibly helpful.

IKR!!!! If he offered me that deal I might accidentally send him 100lbs of chain, LOL

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, perfect.
Do you want a new loop or will a used one be OK?
Please PM me your address

You are going to love it. I don't know ANYBODY that has tried properly filed square chain say, "well that just sucks"!!! It's more like, "Hell yeah, that is what I am talking about!", especially if your round filing is not that great.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know anybody that has ever used one?

@Philbert
I am not a square filer, and have never tried it. There were a number of posts on it, several years ago, on A.S., in addition to @Homemade ’s feedback, above.

Might be good for a beginner. Some guys might want to file at special angles which the guide does not accommodate.

Philbert

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Your a smooth operator Deets. I also don’t have one of those fancy chain vices either. And I’m really just cutting my teeth (pun intended) on this whole square thing. Finding the correct angles, pressure into the tooth when filing and so on.... I just find it easier to file with a tooth that is already square and keep the angles that are already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your a smooth operator Deets. I also don’t have one of those fancy chain vices either. And I’m really just cutting my teeth (pun intended) on this whole square thing. Finding the correct angles, pressure into the tooth when filing and so on.... I just find it easier to file with a tooth that is already square and keep the angles that are already there.

My results greatly improved when I got a chain vice, way easier. After getting comfy filing on the vice, it made it easier to do touch ups on the saw.

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since all the generous offers are floating around, I'm starting a go fund me page..
Looking for money to buy an MS462 and a 500i (plus have Kevin port them) plus a few hundred feet of chain.
Please be geneorous in your donations.
Any overflow donations will be used for a big CAT skidder that I have absolutely no use for.
LMAO!!

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wanna hear a small world story?

My brother told me long ago of a logger that lived next door to him that square filed his chains. I met him long ago, don't remember much about him though.
Brother sold house and moved out of the neighborhood.
In the thread above John Beisweinger offered me a loop of chain, said he lives 20 min. from me.
Turns out John is my brothers' old next door neighbor.
Kind of crazy, isn't it.......................

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This what square should cut like being the first tree of the day it can be a little grabby but it’s worth it when used in production settings.

It was commented that this can be a bit grabby. I can hear that in the video. Is it because it's square filed or the rakers are too low?

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was commented that this can be a bit grabby. I can hear that in the video. Is it because it's square filed or the rakers are too low?

That’s just the first tree of the day after the first few cuts it smoothed right out. If it had been in hardwood it would of been just like butter, second and old growth Doug fir will load up chips like no other in a cut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: