ms 462

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO, the 462 was designed with light weight in mind, and the 20" light bar is very light and seems perfect on it. The light weight, acceleration response is near instant, and the great cut speed make it a pleasure to use. This saw is a keeper!

About time something came out of that factory that can replace the 044. At least is did not take over 4 decades like replacing the Muscle Cars of the late 60s.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think the guys out west are gonna kill it quick with big bars..i don't think the A/V will take it.

That's not a good thing in my opinion.

But I think its a home run for polishers/firewooders/service guys who wanna run 20-24" bars and tell stories about it on OPE.

Last edited:

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I swear when I had the 462 in my hands, felt like 361 but just a tad bit bigger.

When ya run a saw most if the day, that spring a/v is a godsend

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the guys out west are gonna kill it quick with big bars..i don't think the A/V will take it.

That's not a good thing in my opinion.

But I think its a home run for polishers/firewooders/service guys.

When guys were talking about how light the 462 was going to be, I questioned if it would sacrifice longevity/service life. The west coast guys love rocking huge bars, so it's a legitimate concern to question how it will fare during actual logging. That's not to say it isnt an impressive saw for say, a residential tree service! It would be perfect for that.

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When guys were talking about how light the 462 was going to be, I questioned if it would sacrifice longevity/service life. The west coast guys love rocking huge bars, so it's a legitimate concern to question how it will fare during actual logging. That's not to say it isnt an impressive saw for say, a residential tree service! It would be perfect for that.
That's what I was just thinking. They should keep the 461 around for the west coast guys. And 462 for pro tree guys.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe you can judge durability by the weight of the saw.

However, if you want to balance a long bar, you likely want a powerhead that is not over whelmed by the weight of the bar.

Stihl does offer light weight bars in 20, 24 and 28" lengths for this saw, and I would recommend running a light weight bar on it … will just be more compatible with the weight of the powerhead.

Likely Ryan's bar length recommendations are accurate, if I want to run a 28" bar, even though I'm sure this saw will pull it, I'll use one of my Hybrids.

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im leaning on that idea Jeff.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe Stihl did their homework then? Market research.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't believe you can judge durability by the weight of the saw.

However, if you want to balance a long bar, you likely want a powerhead that is not over whelmed by the weight of the bar.

Stihl does offer light weight bars in 20, 24 and 28" lengths for this saw, and I would recommend running a light weight bar on it … will just be more compatible with the weight of the powerhead.

Likely Ryan's bar length recommendations are accurate, if I want to run a 28" bar, even though I'm sure this saw will pull it, I'll use one of my Hybrids.

If a manufacturer states a saw can handle a specified bar length, it had better be able to utilize it for a service life with normal wear and tear.

As far as not judging a saws durability by its weight...that's horse puckies. A heavier saw is literally built to be more heavy duty. Like a truck.

Stihlms

Chris
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a manufacturer states a saw can handle a specified bar length, it had better be able to utilize it for a service life with normal wear and tear.

As far as not judging a saws durability by its weight...that's horse puckies. A heavier saw is literally built to be more heavy duty. Like a truck.
X2

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Nonsense … quality materials properly designed will last just as long, if not longer, than simply bigger and heavier. Just look at the new crank, rods and pistons they are now making (like the stroker kit in my Mustang) that are far lighter and more durable than what was available in the past.