McCulloch Super Pro 125c build thread

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mike has a mild-krinkle finish black powder that looks really good on the old Mac parts - it's not quite as "krinkly" as the Mac factory finish, but it
looks even better as far as I'm concerned:

I like it, honestly the later parts didn’t seem to be as wrinkled. I have been holding out to see how the tanks tuned out, i was really worried about the sealer on the tanks! Looks like it wasn’t an issue

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like it, honestly the later parts didn’t seem to be as wrinkled. I have been holding out to see how the tanks tuned out, i was really worried about the sealer on the tanks! Looks like it wasn’t an issue

I'm gonna coat the tanks inside with Kream before I put them back into service - both Leeha and Saw-King recommended it. Mike said he has to bake the parts at about 350-400 degrees for a while but
I don't think that's hot enough to ruin the factory sealer. It seems to have a consistency almost like JB Weld.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna coat the tanks inside with Kream before I put them back into service - both Leeha and Saw-King recommended it. Mike said he has to bake the parts at about 350-400 degrees for a while but
I don't think that's hot enough to ruin the factory sealer. It seems to have a consistency almost like JB Weld.
Ya I agree it’s a good plan, had thought about red coat or some of the other gas tank sealers too. I have a tank that I got from saw king, it was in a parts lot, it was cracked and was probably sealed with kream, looked like and elmears glue-ish sealant

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E-coat /powder coat would be the hot ticket I would think .If it's done right it should last forever .I worked on a huge e-coat system at a truck plant for Navistar in Springfield Ohio that dipped an entire truck cab for military trucks and the frames . We are talking huge on that one .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This a .030" over iron-liner saw that got a new piston and Wiseco chrome-lined rings. It's also running an SDC-20 carb. Chain is vintage NOS Oregon 52-AL "Micro-Chisel", which is
not a real square-ground chain, it's more of a semi-chisel type chain. It was originally made for working on landings in dirty/muddy cutting conditions. The roll I have is from the
late 70's. The wood is Mountain Hemlock.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is another .030" over saw, this one got a 101D .030" over "Nine-port" piston on a 1/2" wrist pin. These .030" over saws just pull like a tractor. This one is also
running the Oregon 52AL Micro-Chisel chain on a 42" Cannon bar.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok Jacob, I haven’t seen the heat shield like that before on the the saw with the red kill switch and the black tank, what’s the story on that?

I'll post some close-up pictures of those tomorrow. I found two of them in that junk that I got from the guy in Bridge in '99 - I think they're a later cover. I haven't found them
in any of the IPLs yet.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll post some close-up pictures of those tomorrow. I found two of them in that junk that I got from the guy in Bridge in '99 - I think they're a later cover. I haven't found them
in any of the IPLs yet.
Ok cool! It was really standing out to me! I haven’t seen one before! I like the wide bars too! You done see them every day either!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is another .030" over saw, this one got a 101D .030" over "Nine-port" piston on a 1/2" wrist pin. These .030" over saws just pull like a tractor. This one is also
running the Oregon 52AL Micro-Chisel chain on a 42" Cannon bar.

That one has a different sound to it. Same mufflers as the other ones?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It doesn't have the "squirrel cage" in it (a round cage they use for spark arresting/debris blockage). In person, it's howling loud. It hurt my ears even through ear plugs.

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Speaking of mufflers...
Would anyone have a spare muffler for a SP125 C that they would consider selling/trading?
I have a 125 with a SP125C air filter cover on it sitting on the wrong side of the border 150 miles away,borders closed to non essential travel plus a 2 week detention when you get back.I have waited a few years to get a 125,so a few more months will be fine.
Thanks