jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear jj! Losses can change your perspective in a hurry! That looks like a cool project

It's a reminder that the old timers won't be around forever and it's up to us to carry on. That's why I'm busting a move on some of these projects that have been
languishing for years.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Over bores have been kicked around for a long time .Back in the glory days if I'm not mistaken Wiseco and others made up to 100 thou over pistons .How much cast iron would left in the bore I have no idea .If it were too thin about the only thing I can think of is using 4140 steel for a sleeve like used in aircraft cylinders .4140 is tough vanadium steel but it's much harder to get a good smooth finish like fine grained grey cast iron .Not impossible by any means however .
As far as that,also in the glory days a few made stroker cranks too .Finding one would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack though these days .
I'm have flashbacks from the late seventies and eighties. A guy we knew road racing a 911 gave up after his second flight. 185mph in a naturally aspirated 911 taking flight lessons is no joke. 4140 liners with 327 pistons, shhhh. So the motor lost countless bottom ends due to 325 oil temps. And then the aha moment came and Flight lessons started soon after when they liquid cooled the heads. Slick too...Holley blue pump with a 6" heater duct right through the passenger's side of the car with a 600 Kawasaki rad in the firewall behind the driver. What's good for a Mechart stroker crank 911 and holey light weight rods goes double in the bug powered sand rail where Bob lived and built the motors. We never saw a 6 cylinder Porsche motor ever catch that sand rail with those 4140 holes and 4" slugs with wet heads. Fun times.
Two crushed 911's was quite enough. The sand rail went a second faster in the eighth mile with a drag plate under the motor.
Got some starters serviced this weekend - it took a lot of work. I had to use wire brush attachments in my air die grinders to get all the gunk and pulverized sawdust out of them.

I got lucky a few years ago and got in on a buy for some re-pop starter handles that the kart guys were doing. They're good quality.

I don't know about you guys but I've always liked the old school McC logo more than the newer logo. Whoever designed the new logo was a complete twat.

Old school only....and boil that gunk off in an old crab pot on the bbq. Works for me. Worked good on old dirt bike motors to.
I had to make some new SP-style exhaust gaskets. This is the earlier large-style that I'm a fan of. The later style only covered the front two exhaust mounts and the exhaust port.

As we all know, parts are getting really hard to find for these old beasts, so we'll have to make more of this stuff by hand or have re-pops done.

Gaskets are the easy part imo.
Got'em mounted up on the saw that I built earlier in this thread and the big-bore saw I'm building for myself currently. They're not perfect but with a couple hours of heat
and vibration, they'll settle right in. The paper I used for this is high-heat thick gasket paper available at NAPA. It's stiff and more difficult to work with but it resists heat very well. In fact, I threw some small pieces on a brush fire I had going next to the drive way today and it took several minutes for it to catch fire.

I still use that paper. Best stuff around since the eighties.
I wanted to show you guys some differences between the starter shrouds. I think the later style is on the left and it has cast-in threaded bosses so you don't have to mess with
epoxying in retainer nuts. They're also a different "thickness." I think there was a post about the early saws not having enough air circulating around the engine so the shrouds
were changed along with re-designing the cylinder so that it has more and thinner cooling fins.

Good tec there.
One final detail - on the left is the big bore saw and on the right is the standard SP I built earlier in the thread. The big bore saw has the wide handlebar that was designed
for the later saws that came with a chain brake. It uses an extension bracket to mount to the tank. Guys that have milled with 125s like the wider handlebar a lot more, as
it provides more room for accessing the clutch cover. I knew a guy that was using 125s to build a log cabin in BC years ago and he would run the wide handle with a cut-down
clutch cover. He wore out three saws by the time his cabin was done.

He should have ran synthetic oil.
I think she had some problems "at home"; spouse/partner/whatever. Almost put her out of business as I understand it. I have always had very good experiences when dealing with her. Used to be know as Vintage Vixen.

Mark
Heard a whisper in the wind about this the year or there about I ran your 105 in TN. Makes sense now about the burn some got and were pretty pissed.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to find some big wood to get that/those thing warmed up a bit. We will all be dead before you get the rings seated in :-/

It sounds good!

Maybe - I know where there's a couple of Spruce logs that are 84" on the small end, but they're on private ground. I'll have to get permission before I can go a-whackin' on 'em.

I did test the big-bore saw in my downed Spruce log but it's not much of a challenge.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You have to find some big wood to get that/those thing warmed up a bit. We will all be dead before you get the rings seated in :-/

It sounds good!
Since you mentioned it when I resleeved my one 125 with an iron cylinder I've yet to run it long enough to seat the rings .In this part of the country it's rare you get a large enough tree to give those things a good work out . I may pull it off the shelf this winter to cut up some 36" oak rounds from a pile a tree trimmer dropped off .

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe - I know where there's a couple of Spruce logs that are 84" on the small end, but they're on private ground. I'll have to get permission before I can go a-whackin' on 'em.

I did test the big-bore saw in my downed Spruce log but it's not much of a challenge.

84”! That sounds like a party! And gear drive territory

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dose it have block numbers?

I haven't really looked yet. I gots to do some clean-up work in the shop, and then build two more saws for members here and then I'll tear into those.

I think the chrome shroud saw has an Mc-75 kart motor. It was a local trade I did many years ago.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to laugh remembering what Gerry B said about his logging buddy running a Mac Kart engine saw back in the day when almost nobody was still using them .He said it would eat through about 60" of old growth in about 60 seconds and could tear up move drive links than any saw he had ever seen on a derail .It could also throw the chain farther than he had ever seen .Sounds to me perhaps a full suit of chain mail armor would be the uniform of the day with that thing .

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't really looked yet. I gots to do some clean-up work in the shop, and then build two more saws for members here and then I'll tear into those.

I think the chrome shroud saw has an Mc-75 kart motor. It was a local trade I did many years ago.

I have 2 saws with MC-75 motors and 1 with a MC-100, The MC-75's came from Bryce Stott
a few years ago when I was buying a bunch of Mac saws from him. He didn't know they had
the kart motors and neither did I till I got them. The MC-100 I bought off AS years ago.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 saws with MC-75 motors and 1 with a MC-100, The MC-75's came from Bryce Stott
a few years ago when I was buying a bunch of Mac saws from him. He didn't know they had
the kart motors and neither did I till I got them. The MC-100 I bought off AS years ago.

Bryce has come up with some pretty cool stuff over the years. One time he contacted me and mentioned he had some "unrecognizable" cylinders -
They turned out be Olympyk 999/999e jugs, new old stock. He sold 'em for $200 apiece and they all sold within a couple days. He made a big Mac
buy also a couple years ago - I think from a closed dealership in Bellingham.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done fair amount of business over the years with Bryce .I think it was Rotax Robert who had been at his place of business once said the amount of stuff he had was the mother lode of mother lodes ,amazing .
I have no idea what became of Rotax ( Robert Andrews ) ,I used to correspond with him from time to time but he has disappeared from the internet for several years .Having worked at Boeing he told me exactly what would happen when Alan Mulally became CEO at Ford Motor company and was 100 percent right .