jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That will be cool! Looking forward to that! I have wanted to do a 100cc kart Mac too

McBob had a 91b engine in what I think was a Super 44 chassis that he ran in some of the Aussie races. He said those motors are really strong - from what I saw
in the one video, his modified 91b was right on the heels of a stock 101 in 20" wood.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He had a lot of stuff! The splined socket and recoil screen are nice! The mc49 reed are a perfect replacement for the 125, and $6!
I think that he is a she .Has sold under a number of names which seems to change periodically .I had a little run in a few years back and had to explain what "mail fraud " was .That's all I'm going to say about that .

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting back to the big bore saw - I discovered I have no good condensers left for my 125 points systems, so I rooted through my ignition spares box and came up with a good used Nova II module
which works well with the CP and SP coils. Like most engines, they're a negative ground with the McCulloch chassis. Years ago, Bob at Bob's Lawn Mower service in Lincoln City, Oregon was throwing
out a huge box of old ignition parts and I was hanging around that day and he asked me if I wanted it. I said "sure, I'll take that junk." That box has saved me from buying probably $200 in parts.

Interestingly enough, I tried to rob a coil off of a 10-10 Super and it had good spark but the timing was way off.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting back to the big bore saw - I discovered I have no good condensers left for my 125 points systems, so I rooted through my ignition spares box and came up with a good used Nova II module
which works well with the CP and SP coils. Like most engines, they're a negative ground with the McCulloch chassis. Years ago, Bob at Bob's Lawn Mower service in Lincoln City, Oregon was throwing
out a huge box of old ignition parts and I was hanging around that day and he asked me if I wanted it. I said "sure, I'll take that junk." That box has saved me from buying probably $200 in parts.

Interestingly enough, I tried to rob a coil off of a 10-10 Super and it had good spark but the timing was way off.

I have a sp coil that needs a wire if you need it Jacob.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a video of the saw idling after its first start-up since I changed the tank. I also ended up having to change the flywheel backing plate. Even with new bearings on the
crank, I could get a tiny amount of movement on the flywheel side after torquing down the backing plate. I pulled it again and discovered one side of the bearing pocket was
worn pretty badly - another thing to look for on these old saws.

The microphone on this cheap camera doesn't do this saw justice. You can feel the vibrations
from this thing in the ground when you're standing next to it.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a video of the saw idling after its first start-up since I changed the tank. I also ended up having to change the flywheel backing plate. Even with new bearings on the
crank, I could get a tiny amount of movement on the flywheel side after torquing down the backing plate. I pulled it again and discovered one side of the bearing pocket was
worn pretty badly - another thing to look for on these old saws.

The microphone on this cheap camera doesn't do this saw justice. You can feel the vibrations
from this thing in the ground when you're standing next to it.

Looks and sounds great jj. I have had both issues you just encountered! The bearing pocket in the points box, bit me too! That was such a pain, now I check both pockets before assemble! Thanks for sharing! And on the nova 2 chips, if the 125 had a 5° flywheel it will advance the ignition, on some saws that makes starting difficult. The inductions say to have at least 6” of ground lead, and in looking online and the manufacturer is saying that the ground length is critical to prevent failure. With the chip you can also tune your timing with the flywheel key, Terry is not a fan of the chips. I have been test my 101 with points and with chip, it more reliable with the chip for me, I don’t have a 5° flywheel on that saw

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks and sounds great jj. I have had both issues you just encountered! The bearing pocket in the points box, bit me too! That was such a pain, now I check both pockets before assemble! Thanks for sharing! And on the nova 2 chips, if the 125 had a 5° flywheel it will advance the ignition, on some saws that makes starting difficult. The inductions say to have at least 6” of ground lead, and in looking online and the manufacturer is saying that the ground length is critical to prevent failure. With the chip you can also tune your timing with the flywheel key, Terry is not a fan of the chips. I have been test my 101 with points and with chip, it more reliable with the chip for me, I don’t have a 5° flywheel on that saw

Mr. N - None of the kart guys I've talked to like the chips. They like points - points are easy to tune and less hassle if you want to run the advanced flywheel. I'll put some more ground lead on this chip - I found some
instructions online but they were pretty vague - so thank you for that. I'll probably try the capacitor fix that Terry from Cascade Saw in LaPine was talking about - he did away with all the condensers in his points
systems. A picture of the offending plate - those brown marks you see on the left side of the bearing pocket is wear it's worn down - probably indicative of blow-by in the case.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another project I literally pulled out of the weeds yesterday - it was a freebie given to me because I helped fix an old guy's powered wheelbarrow. I haven't checked closely
to see what it is yet but I'm pretty sure it's a super series motor of some kind. I've been inspired to work on these old Macs lately due to the passing of some old-school
timber fallers I worked with years ago. I went to a memorial service today for a guy I worked with at the Huffman-Wright company years ago out of Canyonville. He was
a real good old boy and had worked in the woods for fifty years.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another project I literally pulled out of the weeds yesterday - it was a freebie given to me because I helped fix an old guy's powered wheelbarrow. I haven't checked closely
to see what it is yet but I'm pretty sure it's a super series motor of some kind. I've been inspired to work on these old Macs lately due to the passing of some old-school
timber fallers I worked with years ago. I went to a memorial service today for a guy I worked with at the Huffman-Wright company years ago out of Canyonville. He was
a real good old boy and had worked in the woods for fifty years.

Sorry to hear jj! Losses can change your perspective in a hurry! That looks like a cool project