Let's Talk Sealants

tallfarmboy

Jack of All Trades... Master of None...
Local time
8:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
84fd5f802861fac35976eaf3b5b4d4d3.jpg

Anyone use that stuff? I usually use Ultra Grey as its available, but found this at the local farm supply store.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried that but non hardening means it stays sticky from now on.pretty much like thick Indian head shellac that doesn't dry.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
moto seal and loctite 39154 stick for me
if im in a hurry to run the saw i use motoseal.no hurry i use the stick with a 24 hr cure time.still need to find some primer/activator.
It makes sense for me to use the activator on this sled I'm putting back together as it's cold in my garage and I only have a small buddy heater. I have a can of the activator coming in this afternoon at my local NAPA.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It makes sense for me to use the activator on this sled I'm putting back together as it's cold in my garage and I only have a small buddy heater. I have a can of the activator coming in this afternoon at my local NAPA.
i've looked online and the activator i've found is more expensive than the sealer.the sealer i use i've found for $10 for 3 sticks.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Anyone use that stuff? I usually use Ultra Grey as its available, but found this at the local farm supply store.[/QUO

Have used that many times on Auto engine rebuilds, that sealant seems to stay soft. Try Motoseal or others suggested, when pulling off cylinder after using Motoseal, you will see big difference. Just my 2 cents.

tallfarmboy

Jack of All Trades... Master of None...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tried that but non hardening means it stays sticky from now on.pretty much like thick Indian head shellac that doesn't dry.
Would there be any drawback for a sealant to stay moist? Does hardening do anything perceivable? Always trying to learn more...

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Anyone use that stuff? I usually use Ultra Grey as its available, but found this at the local farm supply store.
I use the old permatex #1 hardening, about a dozen put togethers now and no fails.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i've looked online and the activator i've found is more expensive than the sealer.the sealer i use i've found for $10 for 3 sticks.
Lesson learned, ask about price before you have Napa get you anything. Damn! I thought I saw the activator online for around $10 so I didn't think anything about having then order it. I went to pay and the damn stuff was $20!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would there be any drawback for a sealant to stay moist? Does hardening do anything perceivable? Always trying to learn more...
i would imagine that the non hardening stuff could get sucked or blown out over time.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Those activators/primers are worth using sometimes. They etch and bite without sanding or breaking the glaze like on ceramics, chrome and polished metal.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Those activators/primers are worth using sometimes. They etch and bite without sanding or breaking the glaze like on ceramics, chrome and polished metal.
Its recommended for use in cold weather. I figured it was worth it since I used it last night on my snowmobile base gaskets and the garage was cold (could see my breath still). I had a heat lamp on the lower case of the engine to get some heat into it. The activator says wait 5 mins after spraying the surfaces before assembling. I sprayed the surfaces and waited about 24 hrs to put the sealant together... It was getting late the night before and didn't want to mess it up.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a little old school .It's usually Permatex #2 or Indian Head which is just thinned down Permatex .Loctite 5900 would work,I get it at work for nothing .That stuff has pretty much replaced gaskets on every automobile being produced today from the cheapest to the most expensive .It took Ford and Harley D over 100 years before they could build leak proof engines .This is the stuff that fixed it .--don't get me wrong,Chevys and Cadillacs leaked too .

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I thought it was runny too at first. I wipe a thin bead on 1 surface with my finger and it seems ok. No failures yet after 1 tube.
Q tips would be the ticket. I never remember to bring any out to the garage though
I use the small water color paint brushes and cut them down real short.
I get them at the dollar store.
Use them once and throw'em away.