High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Let's Talk Sealants

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've have 518 and Hondabond.The 518 is nice when you want to go back in.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
7:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
versachem no# 1 or 2 hardening or non hardening gasket maker its gas and oil resistant.
i use motoseal also though clean up can be a pain and sometimes you need a pry bar to get something apart where motoseal was used.

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Permatex ultra-grey is comparable to Yamabond, motoseal, etc. Its what I use on all my automotive, marine and motorcycle needs. I used the 518 for the saws and some motorcycle needs, I too like that the excess does not harden. Have seen too many failed oil pumps on 4t ATVs clogged with RTV squiggles...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used motoseal on the solo last night, it's definitely different than yamabond. Wish it came with a nossle for application, it seemed too runny
I thought it was runny too at first. I wipe a thin bead on 1 surface with my finger and it seems ok. No failures yet after 1 tube.
Q tips would be the ticket. I never remember to bring any out to the garage though

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used motoseal on the solo last night, it's definitely different than yamabond. Wish it came with a nossle for application, it seemed too runny

I always thought the same thing about the runny consistency of Motoseal. I've used quite a bit of Yamabond, and rotated back and forth between the Locktite 518 (anerobic sealant).
Each product has served me well. No complaints at all.

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought it was runny too at first. I wipe a thin bead on 1 surface with my finger and it seems ok. No failures yet after 1 tube.
Q tips would be the ticket. I never remember to bring any out to the garage though
I got a whole pack of qtips ....above the bench

Zoo City Sawz

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Question for you guys. I'm putting a snowmobile engine back together and will be using the base gaskets but want some additional assurance. I plan to use some 518 on both side of the gasket. Anyone use the 518 with a gasket, good or bad idea?

The gasket is like a thin black paper material. I had a coolant leak on this motor and it might have been a poor gasket seal.

Anyone have the part number for the activator? Only reason I'd consider using it is because it's cold in the shop (upper 30's) and I plan to use it with the gasket.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use motoseal now 5.78 last time i bought it at wal mart of all places i've used everything out there i think lol and haven't had any problem with any of it but motoseal last longer because you have to use so little to get the coverage you need.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Question for you guys. I'm putting a snowmobile engine back together and will be using the base gaskets but want some additional assurance. I plan to use some 518 on both side of the gasket. Anyone use the 518 with a gasket, good or bad idea?

The gasket is like a thin black paper material. I had a coolant leak on this motor and it might have been a poor gasket seal.

Anyone have the part number for the activator? Only reason I'd consider using it is because it's cold in the shop (upper 30's) and I plan to use it with the gasket.
I found the Permatex activator, it's called Surface Prep part number 24163.

Speeds cure of Permatex® Threadlockers, Thread Sealants, Retaining Compounds, and Anaerobic Gasket Makers by 50%. Increases threadlocker strength. Recommended for use during cold weather. General-purpose solvent for cleaning and preparing parts and surfaces. Level 1 - See more at: https://www.permatex.com/products/t...ctivator-for-anaerobics/#sthash.sbPgu5UC.dpuf

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
moto seal and loctite 39154 stick for me
if im in a hurry to run the saw i use motoseal.no hurry i use the stick with a 24 hr cure time.still need to find some primer/activator.