Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the factory spec max rpm of an Husqvarna 365 Special?

Is it identical to the rpm of a Husqvarna 365?

Asking to set up my neighbors saw.

Also, is it just me or does a Husqvarna 365 Special desperately need a muffler mod?
That factory stock muffler outlet is tiny!

IMG_20211023_124847.jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Also, is it just me or does a Husqvarna 365 Special desperately need a muffler mod?

View attachment 313458
13,500 I believe Depends on which muffler it has but another outlet almost always helps

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And while there's a little life to this thread at the moment, here's something I posted to the 357/359 specific thread a couple days ago that I probably should have cross-posted here anyway.

We all know about the intake leak issues with the plastic snap clamp debacle and the associated fixes on the saws that use that intake setup.

I recently ran into another air leak problem with that intake setup that I haven't seen much about. Drove me nuts nailing it down and it probably could have been tuned out, but I rebuilt the same saw for the guy 3 or 4 years ago and it was completely tight when I finished it then. No reason it shouldn't be again.

Here's what I found this time around.

View attachment 311033

Appeared to be leaking behind the flange since that's where the bubbles were. I'm wondering how the hell that's even physically possible since the boot seals against the front surface of the flange.

Had it apart a few times before pulling the bellows (boot) out of the flange and finding these cracks. They didn't go quite all the way through and weren't visible from the opposite side. That woulda been wayyy too easy. LOL

View attachment 311034

Anyway, just a heads up if you service one of the saws using this type of flange/boot arrangement. Most likely a pretty good chance there are more of these out there than just this one. Also a pretty good chance the condition was caused by excessive tightening (possibly by me last time around) of the intake assembly and the cracks occurring over time. That said, I've only heard of these flange threads stripping, not cracking. Regardless, if cracks are present, they'll be hidden if they don't go all the way through the flange. Might be something to consider checking as part of your routine when working on these saws.., especially if you're dealing with a pesky intake leak.
I didn’t see any cracks, but I had that same issue on a 350 and it drove me up the wall trying to find it, mostly because I thought my block-off plate was faulty.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
13,500 I believe Depends on which muffler it has but another outlet almost always helps
Thank You very much Kevin! :)

She sits at 12800rpm now with a 16" hardnose B&C.
Considering the operator does not know how to sharpen a chain I will leave her tuned a little rich.

Muffler has a tiny little single outlet.
Again, considering the operator I will leave the muffler stock.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank You very much Kevin! :)

She sits at 12800rpm now with a 16" hardnose B&C.
Considering the operator does not know how to sharpen a chain I will leave her tuned a little rich.

Muffler has a tiny little single outlet.
Again, considering the operator I will leave the muffler stock.
Yep it’ll be fine there

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simple (enough) adapter to fit a 12mm mount Stihl bar to 9mm Husqvarna studs.
Thin a metric M8 nut down to ~4mm , grinding is simple and fast.
Enlarge the nuts hole to ~9mm, dremel type straight shaft grinder with 6mm cylindrical tungsten carbide burr works great.
Take off 0.5mm on two opposing sides of the nuts, Stihl flat file gets it done.

IMAG2148.jpg

Not perfect, but it works! :)

rburg

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought my 1st 372 several years before I knew how many people rebuilt them. Mine was well worn when I bought it, and only lasted about a year. I ended up giving it to a fellow gtg member. About 2 years later, I go to run my old tired 372 that had been rebuilt and modified some. If I didn't know the history of the saw, I would have never believed how good a rebuilt saw could be.

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 313458

Love my 365sp. Should pull the muffler to see how things look, but it just cuts so well and puts a smile on everyone's face when they run it. 21 years old and I purchased it used but cut a ton of wood with it.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 313458
Check if your muffler has baffle in it? Those early 365 I own has baffles in them. The 1998 and 2000 one. The 2004 I own does not have baffle in it.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check if your muffler has baffle in it? Those early 365 I own has baffles in them. The 1998 and 2000 one. The 2004 I own does not have baffle in it.
Not my saw, I don't care!
As mentioned, considering the operator I am not about to modify anything on the saw and then be called out when he fries the saw!

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The early IPL called this the tube one with matching part number.

Attachments

• 371XP_HUSI1996_AAaa_I9600000_.pdf
    644.2 KB · Views: 7

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The owner of the Husqvarna 365 Special that is with me for maintenance, my very good neighbor, friend and two decades long firewood supplier, died two days ago.
Funeral was today.
He was 42, fought a long and hard battle against the big C. He was OK for a while, then it all went from bad to worse. :confused:
R.I.P. Antonio :(

He was a huge Scania V8 truck fan.

He found the Dolmar PS-7900 I got recently for me.