Local time
7:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
f30a06d3-c72f-4d9d-a3e2-0bbc38732e04.jpg

Husqvarna 236
Is anything missing in this hole?
Plug, duckbill valve or the brass thingy?

DavidP71801

Active OPE Member
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious has anyone used one of the OEM 372 OE cylinders made by Gilarondi? I had my dealer order one because I haven’t been able to find a decent used one and the Mahle all supersede to the Gilarondi anyway the one that came in was horrible very rough ports, casting flash everywhere, little balls of metal that were stuck all over in the transfers it looked almost like welding BBs but they would come loose with just the lightest touch I don’t wanna think about what would happen if somebody just bolted that one on and ran it and the timing was screwy Exh open at 98-99 ATDC (162-164 duration) transfer open at 113-114 ATDC and intake open at 78 BTDC (156 Duration) squish without a gasket was .037. I haven’t timed a Mahle in at least a year and I don’t really remember the numbers but I’m almost positive they were .025” without a gasket and if I raised the exhaust roof to 100 I had 25 ish degrees of blowdown but I could be wrong Just trying to figure out if I just got a bad one or is that just how the Gilarondi are?

Last edited:

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The newer batch of 372 OE jugs are made by Gilarondi. There's a thread before the forum reconstruction about porting a brand new OE 372 brought from oversea. It's a Gilarondi jug.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious has anyone used one of the OEM 372 OE cylinders made by Gilarondi? I had my dealer order one because I haven’t been able to find a decent used one and the Mahle all supersede to the Gilarondi anyway the one that came in was horrible very rough ports, casting flash everywhere, little balls of metal that were stuck all over in the transfers it looked almost like welding BBs but they would come loose with just the lightest touch I don’t wanna think about what would happen if somebody just bolted that one on and ran it and the timing was screwy Exh open at 98-99 ATDC (162-164 duration) transfer open at 113-114 ATDC and intake open at 78 BTDC (156 Duration) squish without a gasket was .037. I haven’t timed a Mahle in at least a year and I don’t really remember the numbers but I’m almost positive they were .025” without a gasket and if I raised the exhaust roof to 100 I had 25 ish degrees of blowdown but I could be wrong Just trying to figure out if I just got a bad one or is that just how the Gilarondi are?
They are ugly inside, but I don’t necessarily know if the roughness is a bad thing or not. Obviously, you wouldn’t want any little BBs that could break off. On the few that I’ve been into, I didn’t notice any BBs. The roughness in the ports is similar to the 592 cylinders

Partner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the old ones were also done, for example, in Husqvarna 42

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have not messed with a new 372xp cylinder yet to comment, the numbers don't look too terrible to me other than the squish. Who knows, the roughness deal might be the next wave of performance tech, as there are some that say they prefer it that way, it doesn't seem to impair the 592xp out of the box.
I did however just do a new from Husqvarna 346xp-ne cylinder and can report much different numbers than previous units provided. Not that I'm complaining mind you as they should run better as is imho.

DavidP71801

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are ugly inside, but I don’t necessarily know if the roughness is a bad thing or not. Obviously, you wouldn’t want any little BBs that could break off. On the few that I’ve been into, I didn’t notice any BBs. The roughness in the ports is similar to the 592 cylinders
I will say the plating was pretty nice, and it did seem to have a slightly smaller chamber, but it was the TVs in the transfer ports. The best I can describe it was it’s like the metal was not hot enough to make the divider between the primary and secondary transfer it kinda reminded me if you poured concrete way to dry. Do you know how it sticks together somewhat, and fills up the form, but it’s not very solid, and it breaks it really easy. I didn’t pick out a whole lot because I was literally showing the guy to return the cylinder and I poked one of them with my screwdriver to show him exactly what I was talking about it flacked off when he saw that he was like oh *s-word. I could see where roughness in the intake and transfer ports might be beneficial, but in the combustion chamber and exhaust port, it seems like it would amplify any carbon buildup problems

DavidP71801

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m wondering if the timing was changed for some EPA regulations or emissions reason the reason I say, that is from my experience saws built between say 1995 and 2015 seem to run longer blow down saws made after 2015 seem to run shorter blow down. I assume this helps with emissions somehow, but I don’t quite understand how

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"As cast" is one thing , casting boogers is another. Automotive intakes have always touted the benefits of a rough cast tract but top shelf parts cast in dimples or swirls, really not what whatever the casting process leaves to chance, thats what makes a quality product, you eliminate the random performance out of the design.

DavidP71801

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"As cast" is one thing , casting boogers is another. Automotive intakes have always touted the benefits of a rough cast tract but top shelf parts cast in dimples or swirls, really not what whatever the casting process leaves to chance, thats what makes a quality product, you eliminate the random performance out of the design.
That’s pretty much my thoughts exactly Hopefully it was just this one or just a few like this, I know the dealer called somebody to report it, but what that means I’m not sure if that one I looked at had been just bolted on and ran. The piston cylinder would have been trashed for sure, and if those pieces got in a bearing or in between the throws on the crank and the case, potentially could’ve destroyed everything

DavidP71801

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have not messed with a new 372xp cylinder yet to comment, the numbers don't look too terrible to me other than the squish. Who knows, the roughness deal might be the next wave of performance tech, as there are some that say they prefer it that way, it doesn't seem to impair the 592xp out of the box.
I did however just do a new from Husqvarna 346xp-ne cylinder and can report much different numbers than previous units provided. Not that I'm complaining mind you as they should run better as is imho.
Just out of curiosity, did the newer 346 cylinder have less blow down? Because I kind of see a trend over the past 10 years, give or take new saws, and even new cylinders for older models, seem to have less blow down out of the box is this to meet new EPA regulations by keeping some exhaust gas in the cylinder to be re-burned?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, did the newer 346 cylinder have less blow down? Because I kind of see a trend over the past 10 years, give or take new saws, and even new cylinders for older models, seem to have less blow down out of the box is this to meet new EPA regulations by keeping some exhaust gas in the cylinder to be re-burned?
Less blowdown = more transfer duration.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The recent “trend” you’re seeing is in strato charged saws. Before strato and the epa, they had say…15-18° blowdown. Once the epa got involved, they used more blowdown to give the exhaust charge time to escape. And now with strato tech, at least with the Huskies, they’re back to running less blowdown because they purge spent exhaust with fresh air rather than with fresh charge

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looked in y notes, 20 degrees yet, just in a "different" place is all.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking for a tank/handle/throttle for a 562. Local tree service guy dropped one off that had been in an accident...

AM will be fine for this one, much of the new has been worked out of this saw. Thanks for your input.

Mark

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mark, I don't think there are any AM components for the 562 yet. Maybe now that the 562M2 is about to come out, we'll see some parts for the originals.

Not that I need another saw, but I have to get one of those things. 550M2 gained some weight along with power. 562M2 has more power and LESS weight.