Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,

Just curious if anyone knows how the oil tank/system is vented on the 65/77 series. I’ve run into a 77 that has an odd vent hole drilled into the forward left corner of the air box. The hole accesses the lower oil tank and somehow bypasses the upper fuel tank. My others in this series do not have the hole. Thinking it might have been added by PO for some reason. No cotter pin, about 1/16” and precisely located. Oil is bubbling into air box when running. Can’t really decipher the IPL’s and no mention in Clymers about venting. No service manual to be found. Thinking about a dollop of JB at this point.

Thanks.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks,

Just curious if anyone knows how the oil tank/system is vented on the 65/77 series. I’ve run into a 77 that has an odd vent hole drilled into the forward left corner of the air box. The hole accesses the lower oil tank and somehow bypasses the upper fuel tank. My others in this series do not have the hole. Thinking it might have been added by PO for some reason. No cotter pin, about 1/16” and precisely located. Oil is bubbling into air box when running. Can’t really decipher the IPL’s and no mention in Clymers about venting. No service manual to be found. Thinking about a dollop of JB at this point.

Thanks.
If you have the old version of the 77 with the fine thread oil/fuel caps. there is a tiny slot cut through the threads in the crankcase where the oil cap screws in. It is tiny enough that you might not notice it without some one mentioning it's there. I can't speak to the versions made after 1973.

Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pictures?
If you have the old version of the 77 with the fine thread oil/fuel caps. there is a tiny slot cut through the threads in the crankcase where the oil cap screws in. It is tiny enough that you might not notice it without some one mentioning it's there. I can't speak to the versions made after 1973.
Pretty sure it has the course threads you mention.6C8BB6C9-E758-410A-B261-BA56BE02215F.jpegA6028E8E-A227-42E5-A123-4E7B9C15EEE4.jpeg

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely the newer version with the coarse thread caps. And I don't see any slot cut in the threads either. You could possibly plug that hole then buy a vented style cap like came on the old 162 saws and see if that solved your problem.