How do you run your saws

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Warm them up then wide open. Are there people that don't hold a saw wide open in the middle of a cut? I'm not talking about climbers and technical stuff, but firewood guys. Any seen a guy babying a saw?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Warm them up then wide open. Are there people that don't hold a saw wide open in the middle of a cut? I'm not talking about climbers and technical stuff, but firewood guys. Any seen a guy babying a saw?
I've seen it

:facepalm:

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
and.... that would be a "No" never heard of it.
It's real common in the dirt bike world, basically like deets said. When you start it cold and rev it hard the piston expands from the heat faster than the cylinder does. So much some times that it scuffs the cylinder walls or even worse, swells and seizes in the cylinder. That's why most guys feel the jug or head, when it's warm to the touch your usually good to go.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually fire them up. Couple short blips. Few more longer blips over the course of 15 or 20 seconds. Then get after it.

Saws aren't as prone to cold seizing as something water cooled. Takes water a lot longer to warm up. 5 minutes or more even. I cold seized a Suzuki 500 quadzilla when I was a kid by not letting it warm up. Not saying it can't happen to a saw, but a minute might be good, rather than 10 minutes for liquid cooled

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So warm up as in idle? Because the Stihl dealer (the owner/manager, not the mechanic) informed me that idling a saw heats it up faster than running it WOT since they were air cooled.
Need to blip that throttle a little till it warms up a little and revs clean.

This saw had made a few cuts already but you get the idea

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guy was runnin an ms 290 about half throttle cuttin about 10 in log with a dull chain. His response when I said somthin..."I've got all day, ain't got to rush"
Neighbor burned up a brand new Kubota zero turn that way. Had an air cooled engine and hydraulic pumps. He ran it at half throttle cause he didn't want to wear it out and ended up overheating everything.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hydros need rpm to operate right otherwise it's hard on pumps too

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So warm up as in idle? Because the Stihl dealer (the owner/manager, not the mechanic) informed me that idling a saw heats it up faster than running it WOT since they were air cooled.

Let them run till there idleing at the right rpms then give em hell.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually let the saw run on high idle for a few seconds, then idle for 10-15 seconds. A few low rpm blips and you will know when the saw is ready. If it bogs give it a few more seconds, if it picks up and is responsive go with it.
If mine bog at all I hit the choke again for a second