High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

How do you run your saws

Ironworker

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
How do you guys run your saws, do you take it easy and baby them, letting them warm up and try not to let them get too hot or do you run'em like they're rented.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
9:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Start them and rev them a couple times. Then let them idle for about 10 seconds and off to WOT land they go. lol Reving them while cold won't hurt a thing as you adding my lubrication...it's when you HOLD them at WOT with no load that can be a problem.

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Start them and rev them a couple times. Then let them idle for about 10 seconds and off to WOT land they go. lol Reving them while cold won't hurt a thing as you adding my lubrication...it's when you HOLD them at WOT with no load that can be a problem.

i saw this guys who was an arborist (or claimed to be one) warm the saw up by holding it WOT without a load....

so when others say "warm it up" what are they meaning? I assume they don't put it under the hood of their Prius to share it's engine's heat...

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A two stroke can be cold seized, mostly in cold weather. But if you fire up a saw that has been sittin at 10 degrees and drop it in a big log the piston can heat up and expand slightly faster than the jug causing a cold seize

michaelmj11

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A two stroke can be cold seized, mostly in cold weather. But if you fire up a saw that has been sittin at 10 degrees and drop it in a big log the piston can heat up and expand slightly faster than the jug causing a cold seize

so the WOT from the get-go, is fine in warmer temperatures? cause me=in Mississippi, what you talking about 10 degrees?? ;)

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you never heard of cold seizing or cold scoring ?