High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How can you estimate the weight of a log?

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a way to “estimate “ the weight of a particular log? I’d be very interested to know how it’s done as I seem to be on kick for overloading my pickup. I’ve toted a bunch of big logs in my truck over time and I have always wondered what they actually weigh. IMG_4811.jpegIMG_4812.jpeg
This log is 4’ long and about 32” across. Fresh cut red oak. Anybody have an idea what it weighs?
Thanks!

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you so much! I estimate my truck was waaayy over its load capacity. I have bookmarked that site and will be way more careful in the future. Thanks again.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
formula I use:

((Diameter/2)SQ) x PI => CI x (log length) => (log volume/1728 (cubic foot))

(32/2) = 16
16x16 = 256
256 x PI (3.14159) = 804.24 CI x 48 length = 38,603/1728 = 22.33 cubic feet x Species WT (65) = log weight = 1,451 pounds

I know old white oak in Georgia weighs 74# a cubic foot because I have weighted it on a digital scale, red oak about 60-65#, and Sweetgum about 55#-60# depending on the tree and season.

There is a formula for tree taper, but, I do not use it because when I am dropping a tree I want to know the maximum weight my steel cables and anchors have to hold relative to where the lines are placed in the tree. Once on the ground and cutting into 8 and 16 foot lengths, taper really does not matter much on hardwood, though it can on pines.

This is why I am inclined to use a cheap 7000# dual axle trailer vs. a truck for firewood getting and delivery. Because even a 1/4 cord of green white oak in 2-3 large logs can weigh 2300#.

That and you can not secure the load in a pickup bed. When I was working at car dealers over 40 years ago, I saw the aftermath of someone slamming on their brakes and having the frozen bags of sand, which were in the truck bed, come right through the bed and the back of the Chevy truck cab wall like it was not there. I tend to avoid working or buying vehicles where there is blood and scalp on the windshield. I did show my future wife a vehicle that someone pumpkin-ed the WS, with the bits left and attached, to make the point of seat belts saving lives,

You hit anything solid such as another vehicle or tree at 20 MPG, you will likely be wearing the logs. Which is why I may put cut and split firewood in a truck bed, but, not logs that weigh over 100# each, if I plan on driving over 10 mph.

I have made custom flat beds out of 3" x 3/16 channel bolted directly to the frame that I would certainly would expect to stop pretty much any log, especially strapped down logs. OEM truck beds, not so much. $0.02

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
4:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like this one but there are others that you can enter both end diameters.

BlackCoffin

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sugar maple one is no joke! Lifted a lot of big leaf maple. Picked up a log of sugar that was smaller and about tipped the forklift over.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t managed to get as much weight in logs on the trailer as the forklift weighs (by feel in the truck) but Euc is heavy…these round are heavy enough we didn’t care to lift them so I held the logs over the trailer with the forklift and cut them straight onto it.

IMG_1236.jpegIMG_1244.jpeg

Last edited: