High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Initial checking shows cylinder bore still at factory 3.55. There is no ring ridge. At all. Still has plenty of cross hatching on the cylinders.
Ring gap is currently sitting at .032. Supposed to be .011 with +.006 allowable.
Son thinks the oil pump took a dump. First thing fed was #1 main and rod. Rod bearing turned to dust. Fortunately rod and main bearings are aluminum, not babbit coated on copper on steel. But he's not seeing any other appreciable wear. Both camshafts look almost new.
Heads look perfect.
I think I'll order up a master rebuild kit.
New pistons, rings, main and rod bearings, gasket set, timing chain set and oil pump.
All standard size.
In pulling the front of the van apart, in order to pull the engine, son noticed the top tank of the radiator had a foot long crack in it. New radiator came in yesterday. Wasn't counting on that one.
Also looking at New water pump, fan clutch and fan. New oil cooler and new hoses.
These V10's are different, but very interesting.
:)
Do they make a heavy duty oil pump.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Young man, in my history, teardown almost always went well. Some things seemed to have come with a Lotta extra parts on 1st reassembly lol

Engine fully assembled ready to start.

“Dad, where does this big washer go?”

“Behind the timing gear against the block, Carl.”

But now out comes the radiator and the grill for access.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. I had to put a timing chain in a 302 one time. Other mechanic had it torn down and got fired. Took all day to figure where everything went and finished it up. Looked under the car and found the oil singer on the floor. Had to take it back apart.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve do the V10 cylinder heads have the same issues as the 5.4 of the same year/vintage?
Yes. The first 3 or 4 years of the V10 had the same problem as the 5 4's.
Blowing out spark plugs. And I can see why, after pulling the heads off. They only have 4 threads. The problem starts because of over tightening of the plugs. If proper torque is maintained AND anti-seize is used the problem doesn't happen.
At least that's what the manuals say.
But these are all intact. If the odometer is correct this thing has 438k on it.

MACHINE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. The first 3 or 4 years of the V10 had the same problem as the 5 4's.
Blowing out spark plugs. And I can see why, after pulling the heads off. They only have 4 threads. The problem starts because of over tightening of the plugs. If proper torque is maintained AND anti-seize is used the problem doesn't happen.
At least that's what the manuals say.
But these are all intact. If the odometer is correct this thing has 438k on it.
Curious why you like these over a diesel?

I wouldn't take for my 05 Cummins

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Steve do the V10 cylinder heads have the same issues as the 5.4 of the same year/vintage?
There are several companies that make repair kits for them. I think Timesert probably makes the best one but I don't know for sure. I've only had to do 2 thread repairs in my life and those were helicoil.