High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Got a Free Cat 977H Track Loader. Now What?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, 1960-1966 is what I'm seeing for the 977H.

It has lever steer and later H models came with pedal steer, so I'm guessing it's 1961, give or take a year. Still need to find the serial number.

This one needs an undercarriage, too, but that's way down on the list. If I could do it for $5,500, that would be awesome, but I think it's going to cost more than that. One sprocket has bolt-on segments, but the other doesn't.
We e had decent luck out of ITR undercarriages. It will be way over $5500! The 400g dozer is a SMALL dozer and it was outrageous. Pulling that one sprocket may be a bear. I think some required a puller, some were bolt on with a pilot. Good luck with the old iron. They are definitely worth saving!

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We e had decent luck out of ITR undercarriages. It will be way over $5500! The 400g dozer is a SMALL dozer and it was outrageous. Pulling that one sprocket may be a bear. I think some required a puller, some were bolt on with a pilot. Good luck with the old iron. They are definitely worth saving!

Thanks!

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cat steel usually welds/builds up good. I don't have any luck with John Deere iron (under carriage) ..
Be sure to clamp ground directly to the sprocket, you don't want any arc(s) going through a bearing. A clean ground - no paint or rust is advisable.
I always liked the track broke and out of the way for better position.

Last edited:

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cat steel usually welds/builds up good. I don't have any luck with John Deere iron (under carriage) ..
Be sure to clamp ground directly to the sprocket, you don't want any arc(s) going through a bearing. A clean ground - no paint or rust is advisable.
I always liked the track broke and out of the way for better position.

Thanks for the input!

Scott

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Houston, we have a problem.

The bearing/hub assembly on the right final drive is damaged and will need to be replaced. I saw it before we started working on it, but I was hoping it wasn't a major ordeal to repair/replace. Now that I've done a bit of research, it looks to be a fairly involved and expensive project.

More to follow, but I think I know why it was free!!!

IMG_1348.jpgIMG_1347.jpg

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to do machining and welding for a guy who rebuilt CAT equipment. He’s still around. Let me know if we can help.

Can you please ask him if he has any spare parts for a 977H or D7 (977H has the same undercarriage as a D7 of the same vintage).

Thanks!